Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Virtual Desktops / Multiple Desktops

Virtual Desktops / Multiple Desktops
jhunt5247
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2006, 03:57 PM

Greetings,

I have been w/out an Apple for about 8 months now. Just picked one of the black MacBook's up last weekend, but this is the first day I have had time to actually play with it.

Anyway, I use to have an app that would allow multiple virtual destops in os/x. I was a little surprised that it still has not been added by apple in os x natively. So my question is, can I get some recommendations on what the latest and greatest virtual desktop manager out there is?

Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Jun 17, 2006, 04:09 PM

VirtueDesktops seems to be the leader right now in terms of features. Here's the link at MacUpdate...
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

kent m
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 18, 2006, 09:00 PM

Nah... Try Virtual Desktops from Codetek http://www.codetek.com/

kent m is not a member of any public groups

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2006, 04:17 AM

How could I add my own desktops to VirtueDesktops ?

Is there a manual available anywhere about such app?, it seems they are updating the site… http://virtuedesktops.info/

hemant
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2006, 08:25 AM

I use Desktop Manager & love it.

http://desktopmanager.berlios.de/videos/Cube.mov

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2006, 09:37 AM

Virtue Desktops is built from the Desktop Manager codebase, but updated for Intel and with more features.

I agree the documentation is a bit skimpy, but once you get the hang of it, it's straightforward to use. Make use of the Desktop and Application inspectors.

As for the website being down for updates -- that notice just went up yesterday, so just hang tight for a few more days and it should be resolved.

kent m
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2006, 12:50 PM

Virtual Desktop gives so many other options it really makes it worthwhile. My particular favs are the ability to bring back some of the hidden MouseOver options built into the system that have been left out, and the way you can use any font you prefer in the menu. It's very customizable and the switcher can be skinned or hidden. Hot Keys are available for everything and the info on how to customize it or use it is clear & built into the Prefs.

My big fear with VirtualDestops is that it's so much like the way a feature like this should be done that Apple will program a similar feature set into the new system - though with much much less of the features - and make VirtualDesktops obsolete, the way they did with the Apple Switch feature and LiteSwitch...

I also like the way that these guys seem very accessible. A couple of times I've sent notes about features and have always had a reply with a brief note of their rational. Use it, dig it. :-)
( Last edited by kent m; Jul 2, 2006 at 03:42 PM. )

kent m is not a member of any public groups

Forum Links
Forum Rules