Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > what to do w/ old powerbook?

what to do w/ old powerbook?
blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2003, 03:01 AM

i have an old powerbook 650 from the early 90s, black and white screen, running System 7.1...

I was wondering is there anything useful I could do w/ this old thing, its still mainly used for word processing, because I now have an iBook.

i would have posted this in the powerbook forum, but i never got an answer the first time...

is there some distro of linux or sumthin i cud put on here or sumthin or some project?

any ideas...thanks
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2003, 03:05 AM

found at ebay an ethernet pcmcia card for my "old" 1400, and now it's connected to my "network" as a display for messages and to display my recipe collection in my kitchen...-

maybe, this "display/terminal" idea makes any sense to you....

blackbird_1.0  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2003, 05:47 AM

yeah it does

but where can i get software that'll run on 7.1?

is there a version of linux i could run on my 650?
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2003, 06:00 AM

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0:
yeah it does

but where can i get software that'll run on 7.1?

is there a version of linux i could run on my 650?
Yeah maybe some uberbasic m68k linux (http://www.linux-m68k.org/) (you'll need a 68020 to run this). But please enlighten me: what's a PowerBook 650 ? I know about the 550c, and that's a Japan-only model.

The PowerBook 540c (the US/Europe brother of the 550c with 68LC040 CPU) is supported by mac68k Linux. Except for it's Ethernet port which is not supported. Which is a bummer if you wanted to network it.

blackbird_1.0  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2003, 08:02 AM

a 650 was a powerbook available w/ a color screen or black/white (mine wasnt color) it came w/ sys 7., appleworks etc.
later on i'll post some more info

theres a program fro osx that u can dload thatll tell u bout every mac omdel made

CIA
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2003, 03:24 PM

Not to doubt you, but was this a international powerbook? I can't find any references to it anywhere... Sure it's a 650? Post a pic?

Dex13
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2003, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0:
a 650 was a powerbook available w/ a color screen or black/white (mine wasnt color) it came w/ sys 7., appleworks etc.
later on i'll post some more info

theres a program fro osx that u can dload thatll tell u bout every mac omdel made
It's not on mactracker.

http://www.mactracker.ca/

catzilla1228
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2003, 03:02 AM

I do believe he means a PB 165, the PB 165c was the 1st color PB.

blackbird_1.0  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2003, 09:36 AM

yeah 165, sorry...

Dace
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2003, 09:42 PM

Ever heard of the Lego Macintosh? Some guy took apart his ancient powerbook and put it in a new encasement...in this case it was made out of Lego.

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

blackbird_1.0  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2003, 08:18 AM

yeah, i've heard of that, i just wanted to do something a little less tedious,

sooner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2003, 07:10 PM

i know the powerbook might meen too much to you, but this is what i did with an old laptop i got off ebay for under $20 for this purpose. since all my friends had either powerbooks or laptops my freshman year at OU, i bought this old toshiba t3100e (or something like that) to bring with me when we all took our computers to a cafet on campus and ate. but, they'd bring their video camera w/them and film me walking with them. when someone would walk past me closely i would drop the laptop. the thing was so heavy it made a huge sound on impact, and after doing this several times it go to the point the keys, screen, and odd parts flew off on impact. while it wasn't a very constructive project for a laptop, it was, never the least, entertaining! the looks on peoples faces when they thought i was out $2000 for my computer!

Forum Links
Forum Rules