Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook screen enhancer

iBook screen enhancer
Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2003, 09:12 AM

http://www.heise.de/ct/03/16/links/192.shtml

A script that enables screen spanning on your late generation iBook.
Use with caution.

Mskr
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2003, 09:20 AM

Very interesting that this feature can be turned on via software! I know there was a non-reversable hack that people were doing to enable this, but this is just an AppleScript that seems to modify NVRAM. Here is the text of the script (though I think you should download the original, and not copy/paste/run this):

Code:
property pech : "Dieser Rechner unterst�tzt keinen erweiterten Zwei-Monitor-Betrieb." property neustart : "Soll das Skript den Rechner neu starten, damit die �nderungen wirksam werden?" property maches : "Achtung! Sie f�hren dieses Skript auf eigene Gefahr aus. M�glicherweise startet Ihr Rechner danach nicht mehr. Soll der erweiterte Zwei-Monitor-Betrieb aktiviert werden?" property ja : "Ja" property nein : "Nein" property abbrechen : "Abbrechen" on run set click to button returned of (display dialog maches buttons {ja, nein, abbrechen} default button 3) if click = abbrechen then return else if click = nein then my ChangeNVRAM("", "false") else if click = ja then set c to (do shell script "ioreg | grep '.Display_' | wc -l") as integer if c ? 2 then display dialog pech buttons {"OK"} default button 1 return end if my ChangeNVRAM("0", "true") end if set click to button returned of (display dialog neustart buttons {ja, nein} default button 2) if click = ja then tell application "System Events" restart end tell end if end run on ChangeNVRAM(wert, anaus) try if anaus = "false" then set cmd to "" else set cr to ASCII character 13 set cmd to "\" /\" select-dev" & cr & "0000000" & wert & " \" graphic-options\" get-my-property 2drop !" & cr & "unselect-dev" & cr end if set cmd to quoted form of cmd do shell script ("/usr/sbin/nvram nvramrc=" & cmd) with administrator privileges do shell script "/usr/bin/sudo /usr/sbin/nvram use-nvramrc\\?=" & anaus on error what error what end try end ChangeNVRAM
Since I don't speak German, I don't really know what some of the variables are, but it does look like it's just running the /usr/sbin/nvram command with some canned arguments. Very cool that it's reversable, though!
Software Architect, CodeTek Studios, Inc.

12" AlBook 867 (Combo drive) 640 MB/40 GB (work development machine) -- TiBook 400MHz/384MB/10GB (home machine)
CodeTek VirtualDesktop Pro: Power multitasking! -- DockExtender: Powerful, efficient launcher for Apps, Docs and everything else!

stew
Senior User
Aug 2, 2003, 03:26 AM

Originally posted by Mskr:
Very interesting that this feature can be turned on via software! I know there was a non-reversable hack that people were doing to enable this, but this is just an AppleScript that seems to modify NVRAM.
The original hack was reversible and done in software too. They both do exactly the same, the AppleScript just a more convenient method for those who want to mess with things they don't understand.

Stink different.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2003, 01:58 PM

Does this AppleScript work with a 600MHZ Combo iBook?

stew
Senior User
Aug 2, 2003, 02:03 PM

If it has a Radeon graphics chip (16MB VRAM), it works. If it has a Rage128 chip (8MB VRAM), don't even think of trying it.

Stink different.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2003, 02:17 PM

I have the 8MB Rage; thanks for the clarification.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2003, 03:48 PM

Why is a hack needed to do this? Why does Apple just enable this capability?

stew
Senior User
Aug 2, 2003, 04:42 PM

Apple wants you to buy the more expensive Powerbook.

Stink different.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2003, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by stew:
Apple wants you to buy the more expensive Powerbook.
Then they're just being asses.

Is there any risk to the iBook by doing this? Will using it void your warranty?

dole
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2003, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by Spliff:
Then they're just being asses.

Is there any risk to the iBook by doing this? Will using it void your warranty?
Yes, if something goes wrong, you could render your iBook useless and yes it will void your warranty.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2003, 05:48 PM

i don'tunderstand

antisonne
Aug 4, 2003, 08:18 PM

you dont understand because you are listing a pc above a mac, I have almost same configuration for my pc... I retired it once i got my 800 ibook (my pc just collects dust now, I got a geforce 128ddr same day as my ibook, never tested it yet, been 4 months), this mod allows you to span your desktop ( or in other words have 2 desktops) when using your vga adapter and having it connected to a 2nd display. This gives you extra workspace and such... Instead of both displays showing the same thing (mirroring). Understand now?

stew
Senior User
Aug 5, 2003, 01:27 AM

Originally posted by dole:
Yes, if something goes wrong, you could render your iBook useless and yes it will void your warranty.
I see this claim everywhere but could never find anything backing it. Where in the warranty says it "you are not allowed to run certain programs"? Also, this modification does not render iBooks useless. It may become unbootable but that can be fixed by zapping the NVRAM and resetting the power manager.

All that the "hack" does is change one byte in an OF variable. Changing your boot drive from the Preferences panel is changing a couple of them, but I don't see anyone saying that that would make the iBook useless or void warranty.

Stink different.

lagarto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2003, 10:45 AM

I enabled this some time ago, so far no probs...

One thing to bear in mind, when running with an external monitor, especially with mirroring disabled and a higher resolution, the GPU runs hotter. It's the only time I hear my fan come on.

bmmp
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2003, 07:48 PM

I really really want this script to work, but I have only 8MB on my ibook. Is it possible to upgrade the card?

I really need more space for my animation palattes and video work.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2003, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by bmmp:
I really really want this script to work, but I have only 8MB on my ibook. Is it possible to upgrade the card?

I really need more space for my animation palattes and video work.
If you *need* more space then it's time to buy a new machine...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules