Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Question regarding iBook and monitor spanning hack?

Question regarding iBook and monitor spanning hack?
andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2003, 12:48 PM

After applying the AppleScript iBook monitor spanning hack, my iBook doesn't go to sleep as fast as it used to.

If I choose Sleep from the Apple menu, it takes a few more seconds than before to put the machine to sleep.

Same thing goes if I shut the screen.

Anyone who applied the hack has experienced something like this?

Thanks.
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

-Q-
Aug 22, 2003, 01:46 PM

No problem at all with sleep. But I didn't use an AppleScript to enable it, I just typed the instructions directly into Open Firmware.

andretan  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2003, 02:23 PM

Ok. I rebooted and it's ok now
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

designfreak114
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2003, 11:04 PM

Okay, about this spanning hack...I'm still not very assured in doing this to my week-old iBook, even though it would be really great to have. But really, is it very dangerous and could it ruin my laptop, or is it a pretty safe thing to do?
Image is Everything. Design. Mac.

antisonne
Aug 23, 2003, 03:23 PM

I did it to my 3 month old iBook, 800 white combo 12'. I used the Apple Script, the only thing i noticed was LAG, not alot, but still enough to annoy me to run the script and disable the hack, it was lagging when mirroring was turned on (i wonder why it wasnt running same performance as without the hack?). If you have a new iBook ive never heard of anyone breaking one of those EXCEPT those who enter it into firmware manually and make errors... Its pretty safe to do, I was afraid at first but new iBooks shouldnt have a problem, just make sure you got 32vram and check apple system profiler for a ATY, RAGEM7. Besides the lag its a awesome feature to have, if anyone knows anything about the lag issue, or if anyone else has experienced it, please let me know (I contacted the guy at Macparts.de about it, he said he has never heard of it and yes quartz extreme was running... Just my menus, visual effects, and all the goodies lagged, including mousing over the dock, this might be because i the bbx mercury x theme and it has transparencys and maybe i should re-instate the theme after doing the hack? who knows).

andretan  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2003, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by antisonne:
I did it to my 3 month old iBook, 800 white combo 12'. I used the Apple Script, the only thing i noticed was LAG, not alot, but still enough to annoy me to run the script and disable the hack, it was lagging when mirroring was turned on (i wonder why it wasnt running same performance as without the hack?). If you have a new iBook ive never heard of anyone breaking one of those EXCEPT those who enter it into firmware manually and make errors... Its pretty safe to do, I was afraid at first but new iBooks shouldnt have a problem, just make sure you got 32vram and check apple system profiler for a ATY, RAGEM7. Besides the lag its a awesome feature to have, if anyone knows anything about the lag issue, or if anyone else has experienced it, please let me know (I contacted the guy at Macparts.de about it, he said he has never heard of it and yes quartz extreme was running... Just my menus, visual effects, and all the goodies lagged, including mousing over the dock, this might be because i the bbx mercury x theme and it has transparencys and maybe i should re-instate the theme after doing the hack? who knows).
What are the steps to disable the hack? I mean using the AppleScript.

Thanks

antisonne
Aug 23, 2003, 07:31 PM

If using the english version just run it and hit "disable"... if using the german i think it says "nein" or something hit that... then it will ask you for your password and a reboot... if i remember correctly

andretan  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2003, 02:42 AM

Originally posted by antisonne:
If using the english version just run it and hit "disable"... if using the german i think it says "nein" or something hit that... then it will ask you for your password and a reboot... if i remember correctly
Where can I get the English version? Thanks (again)

antisonne
Aug 25, 2003, 07:15 PM

email the guy at macparts.de, he will tell you everything... or then you can email me at [email protected] and i will send you the file.

Forum Links
Forum Rules