Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook 466 SE problems

iBook 466 SE problems
PvD_45RPM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2003, 05:02 PM

Alright here goes. I bought a iBook Graphite 466 SE at CompUSA two years ago and its still under the extended compusa 3 year warranty. Now up until recently its been flawless. I now have two major problems. One is that if you press on the headphone jack or place headphones in it causes the screen to flicker and "refresh" for lack of a better term, it does this once or sometimes repeatedly for about 30 seconds after you touch it. If Im watching a dvd after the screen refreshes it turns green and I'm unable to see the image (i remember a problem like this related to Quicktime 6). My ethernet port is the second large problem. It has a lot of "play" in it and I'll periodically lose my connection however wiggling the cord and the port gets it back. Aside from these I get strange other little problems here and there like waking up from sleep issues. I'm thinking the logic board and some of its contacts are becoming loose. If I took it to CompUSA do you think they could fix it since its so old? Would they maybe give me a new iBook if they are unable to fix it (that would be nice lol). Thanks for reading this and I look forward to your responses.

antisonne
Aug 24, 2003, 06:10 PM

I dont know, but sounds like lose connections or gone bad connections for the first problem. Second, about the lose ethernet port, My friend had a problem simular to this and took his powerbook to the Apple store, they did nothing but put a screw in to hold it. Compusa can probally get the parts to fix it, I dont know if it will be free-of-charge, i doubt not. And they would never give you a new ibook, if anything they would replace your logic board or maybe give you another 466 iBook... and you would most likely be paying for it either way. Call them up and ask about it, duh. But be happy, at least its not a PC.

PvD_45RPM  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2003, 06:25 PM

Those are just two major problems it has several other strange quirks its developing. I'm going to try to take it in sometime this week. I don't think I'll have to pay (my warranty covers parts and labor) but you never know. I doubt they'd give me another 466 as these are becoming quite hard to come by. I've seen logic boards for the 466 on the internet but they cost 399.95 with trade-in and thats if you can find one in stock. I'm just trying to figure out what they will do to honor the warranty if the parts and replacement are unavailable.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2003, 02:40 PM

If anything, CompUSA should be able to send it to Apple to get the replacement parts. I'm pretty sure there are laws about companies having to keep parts on hand for several years.
Apple keeps a list of "obsolete" hardware which it no longer supports, and they update it maybe once or twice a year. IIRC, no G3 system has made the list yet, so parts should still be available from Apple.

Forum Links
Forum Rules