Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Ordered new pb 17", lets thrash this pb 15"

Ordered new pb 17", lets thrash this pb 15"
PB2K
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2003, 05:37 AM

What once was the high-end model of powermacs, my powerbook g4 500 revA is now a disgraceful machine. A list of what's wrong with it :

row of dead pixels widescreen at 1/3rd from bottom of screen
bonnet of TFT is loose
keyboardlock can fall off
ethernetport only works when under pressure
whole carbonsection around pcmciaport has broken off
I sandpapered the palmrests once
The DVDromplayer lost it's strength so it cant eject cd's without my help.
heavy scratches in TFT and on left palmrest
bonnet of TFT has a plastic picture on it with my company logo, which is quite a nice job, but makes the machine unsellable, machine is mine to stay

My aim is to make this a horror for maclovers, it should still operate, but the looks may be like this one has travelled the world with a drunken bikergang. I was thinking about taking a screwdriver and punch holes into the palmrests, without damaging the circuitry. any more ideas? like burning a corner off the carboncasing?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2003, 09:20 AM

are pure evil
we don't have time to stop for gas

antisonne
Sep 1, 2003, 07:25 PM

No no no... dont do that, here, send it to me man... You are seriously confused about macs, these are not PCs man.

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2003, 07:51 PM

Mmmm Pull all the slack out of the display cables so they're dangling out the back - I can do this with my Pismo. Cigarette burns are key, with a little twist and leaving the ashes there for a few seconds. Actually, if you take the internals out, you can apply heavy heat to the case for a little while. Blowtorch down the middle of the bottom, and you'll get a long swirl curling out of the middle. The holepunch idea? Fine, but TAKE THE INTERNALS OUT FIRST! You can only break the logic board once, then it's a rock.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

antisonne
Sep 2, 2003, 07:46 PM

you people are sick...

lewdvig
Sep 5, 2003, 10:17 PM

I want a well traveled TiBook!
PowerMac MDD 1.25, 1.25GB RAM, 280 gb HDs, Superdrive+ Combo, RADEON 9000, Panther
P4 2.4C @ 3.36GHz, MSI 875P Neo, 1GB PC3200, ATI RADEON 9800 Pro, WD 160GB 8MBcache

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2003, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by lewdvig:
Desktop 1: Apple PowerMac Sawtooth
with PowerLogix dual CPU upgrade
2x800MHz, 1GB RAM, 160GB RAID 0,
120GB Storage, Superdrive, RADEON
8500, OS X.2.6

Desktop 2: P4 2.4C @ 3.36GHz on a MSI
875P Neo, 2x512MB of Kingmax
PC3200, ATI RADEON 9800 Pro (stock),
Enermax Whisper 365 PSU, IBM
GXP75 46GB HD, Western Digital 80GB
Caviar 7200rpm ATA100 8MBcache,
WinXP SP1

Desktop 3: P4 1.6A, MSI 845E, Saphire
8500LE, 20GB Maxtor, WinXP SP1

Laptop 1: Compaq Presario 2800C
Laptop with ATI RADEON 7500M, 32
mb, 512mb DDR RAM, WinXP SP1,
looking for a PB owner to trade with.
Could you make your signature shorter? It's really, REALLY way too long right now. Make it 1-5 lines or something.

Also, welcome to the boards

And if you'd like an Apple laptop, I'm thinking of selling my iBook 800/Combo/12", but I won't trade it for a PC laptop. Also it's kind of slow so if you're looking for a G4 PowerBook this thing won't cut it.

Of course, maybe you can get this 500 MHz TiBook if PB2K will sell his. Probably like $200 or something

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

:XI:
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2003, 02:28 PM

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2003, 03:21 AM

.....I still have my ti-400...sort of...I sold it to my girlfriend, she loves it! Has a GB of ram and a 5400 rpm 60GB drive...what more could she want for doing her homework and helping me market stock photography?.......

......Take the left speaker and put a ding in it, then run a small piece of metal tubing from the left to the right speaker....load it up and apply the lighter to the "Tube Fuel" very carefully and take a toke out of the right speaker as itunes is blarring a track of Mr. Marley....
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

Forum Links
Forum Rules