Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dogs (right choice) vs Cats

View Poll Results: Cats or Dogs (no, there are no other options)
Poll Options:
Dogs 48 votes (40.68%)
Cats 70 votes (59.32%)
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll
Dogs (right choice) vs Cats
ZackS
Banned
Nov 1, 2003, 06:56 PM

A fair and balanced poll. Direct all discussion here please.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...postid=1678090

Kilbey
Baninated
Nov 1, 2003, 07:33 PM

I like em both, but it's easier to eat a whole cat in one sitting.

Joking of course.

We have 2 cats and 2 dogs. But one of the cats acts like a dog. Plays fetch and come when you call her.

There should be an option for both.

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2003, 07:53 PM

Ocicats, they look cool and you can take them for walks and they will bring you your slippers one at a time. Very easy to train an ocicat (spelling I'm stupid occicat? ocecat? it looks <ooo> wilder than the standard American housecat, is spotted and ringtailed)

I'd prefer an extrememly affectionate, obedient cat to a dog. Dogs are usually that way, but are smellier and dirtier. And bigger too.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

ZackS  (op)
Banned
Nov 1, 2003, 07:56 PM

WHY ARE CATS WINNING?! WHERE ARE YOU DOG ONWNERS?!! GET THE **** IN HERE AND ROCK THE VOTE!

jbartone
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2003, 08:00 PM

Cats!

I have one cat.

Plus OS X is named after cats

ryju
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2003, 08:00 PM

maybe it's because dogs suck....

beb
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2003, 08:10 PM

My old dog ate my cat and then got hit by an eighteen wheeler. I'm votin for guns-n-ammo. G-- Damn Piggly Wiggly.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2003, 08:10 PM

heh.

"nooooo dooogs allowwwed"

heh.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2003, 08:19 PM

I prefer dogs.

I started that other thread, "Got cats? Got SARS, Too?" and it seems that people over there just LOVE their cats and wouldn't trade 'em for the world. I've never liked cats and there are some cats that come around our house from the neighbor's home all of the time...and I'm always imagining catching them and bringing them down to Animal Care and Control (dog pound) so that I never have to see them again.

Anyway, this morning a particularly fetching cat came skulking across my front lawn while I was taking down Halloween decorations...big white fluffy thing with black spots that I've particularly enjoyed imagining shooting with a paint ball gun (orange paint) for the past year to teach it to keep it out of my yard. But, today I decided to try to be NICE to it for some reason.

"Here, kitty, kitty, kitty..." I called.

I expected it to hold a grudge against me because of the numerous times I've turned my hose on it, but it didn't...it hesitated before coming over, then came over and rubbed against my legs, then lay down and rolled over on it's back waiting for me to rub its belly. Okay, so then I rubbed its belly and in one minute it had won me over...

So, now I don't hate cats any longer -- but this particular cat probably has above average intelligence or something ---> .

But, I really do like dogs more. I have a sheltie and he's one really cool dog. Rescued him from a psycho apartment-dweller (she kept him in a tiny room in an apartment for 8 months because she wasn't supposed to have a dog and she was hiding him) and he's just wonderful. Smart animal. If I say, "Go to your kennel," he goes to his kennel. If I say, "Go to the back room," he goes to the family room and stays there. If I say, "Get outside," he goes out my back sliding door to the back yard. If I say, "Get down," whatever furniture he's on (bed, sofa, chair) he jumps down from. He understands commands. He's also obedience trained and he NEVER has an accident in the house -- he'll hold it for hours. You can say, "Let's go bye-bye," and he knows to go get in the car.

Well, you get the picture. They're REALLY people-person animals. They crave human companionship. Cats aren't the same way. You can't tell a cat to jump in the car and take 'em to the beach. Or on a road trip. They're more independent.

Some people want that. Some people don't. Some people want to be more involved with their pets and those are usually dog people.

So, I think that people who are more independent and free like cats because they're less maintenance to them and people who are more involved are usually dog people and like the dependence that an animal gives them -- dog people.

With that said, I said I was a dog person.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2003, 08:59 PM

i have a cat so i vote cats. i have never really liked dogs...here is my cat...his name is shadow.

http://www.nathanredman.com/shadow/shadow2.jpeg

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

ZackS  (op)
Banned
Nov 1, 2003, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by iWrite:
...lay down and rolled over on it's back waiting for me to rub its belly. Okay, so then I rubbed its belly and in one minute it had won me over...
See that's where in my experience, the cat gets sick of you, mauls your arm, hisses and then runs away. I ****ing hate cats.

freeandunmuzzled
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2003, 04:01 AM

Originally posted by ZackS:
See that's where in my experience, the cat gets sick of you, mauls your arm, hisses and then runs away. I ****ing hate cats.
you just don't have the right lurrrrrve technique.

4 cats and 1 dog here.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Nov 2, 2003, 04:05 AM

I love dogs but they are harder to live with. Like having a kid.

They are ALWAYS under your feet, any little sound and they freak out, you can't leave them alone for long, they smell and you have to walk them all the time.

If I lived in a big house in the country I would love one though.

"Hello, what have we here?

deekay1
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 04:28 AM

dogs are great. i have one and it's a total mix of different breeds (belgian shepherd, bernese-senn?! etc.). unfortunately, after me and my wife seperated she got to keep her, since she can take her to work :-(

i get to see them every once in a while and i'm thinking about getting a "rhodesian ridgeback" once i start working from home...young puppy dogs are more fun than an out of control grease fire

i literally can't have cats around me, since i'm allergic to them...

hedonist, anarchist, agnostic, mac enthusiast and a strong believer in evolution and the yellow m&m conspiracy

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2003, 07:05 AM

Cats rule. They are smart, arrogant and cuddly at times. Just like me.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

sideus
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 07:20 AM

Six cats here.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 11:04 AM

I'm a dog person (have two). Cats don't interest me. I want a buddy who can romp with me in the woods and enjoys exploring trails as much as I do. There's nothing like a dog for that!

Cats are good for people who live in apartments, or are not home much. Dogs pine, tip over wastebaskets, and get neurotic when left alone too much.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2003, 11:29 AM

Cat person here.

I can see why some people prefer dogs though, for some it may be difficult owning a pet that's independent and you can't extert complete control over.

Although, I did own a Basenji for quite some time. She was quiet, self-cleaning, very intelligent, and had an incredible personality. She was very cat-like. Unfortunately, she was stolen and I never saw her again, despite a $1000 no-questions-asked reward.

I miss her sometimes.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2003, 11:49 AM

I am sorry to hear about your loss MacNStein.
I have a dog current that is very cat like. Probably because as at birth she was raised with cats.

I have been a dog person all my life. Currently have 3.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2003, 01:55 PM

2 cats here. thor and logan. very cute. they told me they were brothers, but they dont really look alike or anything.

if i was home more often id probably like a dog too.

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2003, 02:27 PM

I love dogs- got 3 of them and my nick is the name of one of them. I like cats too but can't have them because two of the dogs are Nordic breeds and have a huge prey drive for little small furry things. Pity, as I would like a little cat to cuddle.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 02:28 PM

MacNStein, your dog looks so sweet. I'm sorry she was stolen, but I can see why someone would want her! Here's a picture of one of my dogs in the same funny position:

And here is a picture of her as a puppy with another dog of mine that I had to put to sleep a couple of years ago, also a very special dog and my good buddy for 15 years:

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2003, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:

Although, I did own a Basenji for quite some time. She was quiet, self-cleaning, very intelligent, and had an incredible personality. She was very cat-like. Unfortunately, she was stolen and I never saw her again, despite a $1000 no-questions-asked reward.

I miss her sometimes.
Such a cute pic. Sorry about the loss, hopefully at least she ended up with a family that was good to her.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2003, 02:55 PM

Cats!

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 03:17 PM

Cats . I like dogs but the big problem with them is that they smell..

pooka
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 03:41 PM

I love to love cats!

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2003, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by The Ginger Rat:
I like cats too but can't have them because two of the dogs are Nordic breeds and have a huge prey drive for little small furry things. Pity, as I would like a little cat to cuddle.
Don't worry about that - any cat you get will be able to put the dogs in their place.

todrain
Senior User
Nov 2, 2003, 03:42 PM

Cats.... I can take a trip for a few days and the cat is fine by itself. Try that with a dog, and you'll have sh*t all over your house!

My cat is also very affectionate, and loves people. I'm not a fan of cats that are anti-social.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 04:11 PM

The cat has to be the penultimate geek pet, because they're relatively low maintenance (more time to sit in front of your computer). They also tend to be easy to show affection for compared to some dogs. I wouldn't want St. Bernard leaping on to my lap... unless I was a big fan of having my legs crushed.

There are some times when I'd really like a dog. Then I remember that the joys of dog ownership involve having to take care of soiled newspapers in the house, as well as carrying a bag and spade with you whenever you take the pet outside. Any pet whose "output" must be dealt with by the owner al lthe time is not my ideal pet!

todrain:

I agree, it's best to have a cat which is social (or at least, doesn't try to tear a piece out of visitors). My own cat is actually quite receptive to strangers. He'd make a lousy security system, but he's an affable companion.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2003, 04:14 PM

I love cats My cat acts like a dog sometimes, she'll attack people she doesnt know But lately she's been meowing alot, which is getting annoying.

Chris

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2003, 04:57 PM

Teh cats!
These people are Americans. Don't expect anything meaningful or... uh... normalcy...

voyageur
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by Commodus:

There are some times when I'd really like a dog. Then I remember that the joys of dog ownership involve having to take care of soiled newspapers in the house, as well as carrying a bag and spade with you whenever you take the pet outside. Any pet whose "output" must be dealt with by the owner al lthe time is not my ideal pet!
What about the joys of a sharing a house with a litter box?

Dogs are great if you enjoy the outdoors. Cats are good for indoor folks.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2003, 08:13 PM

Ragdoll cats are the best.

LaGow
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2003, 10:48 PM

Can there be an option for neither? I have both a cat and a dog and I hate them both. Hate. Them. Wish. Them. Dead.

The Gerbils don't bother me too much.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2003, 10:52 PM

Dogs rule cats drool!

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2003, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
Don't worry about that - any cat you get will be able to put the dogs in their place.

Heh, can't take the chance. My husky's breeders' cat was killed by a husky they were boarding- chased and whacked it with a paw, breaking its back . The cat was usually very good about lurking in the rafters when the huskies (up to 10 of them) were in the house, but this time it was caught on the ground without enough escape routes.

ZackS  (op)
Banned
Nov 3, 2003, 01:27 AM

Anyone who thinks that dogs smell: that's only the fault of negligent owners. You don't say that you hate children because they smell; that's the parent's fault.

My dog does not smell or shed. I live out in the middle of nowhere so he just goes outside whenever, wherever. He likes to do his business in the woods behind my house. He doesn't go nuts if we leave him home for a long time, he just finds somewhere to sit and chill. He also understands the concept of rugs and furniture. If he is wet or muddy, he will actually stay on the floor or his bed. Not feeling well and no one is home? Off the couch and on to the easy-to clean kitchen tiles. I know it's a gross aspect of having an animal, but if a dog is going to vomit, where else would you rather have it? I'm sure if there was a sink or something I could teach him to use that.

Biggest reason why I like dogs is that they actually acknowledge you and can often begin to learn bits of english as the years go by. If I say: "Wilbur <my dog's name>, there is food in your bowl," he'll look up at me in the eyes, listen, and then go check out his bowl. If I add the word "no" and say "there is no food in your bowl," he will just sort of keep looking at me until he figures I'm done exchanging information but won't go check the bowl. This is not something he was ever trained to do, he just kind of understands simple speech. He knows the names to the rooms in my house as well as all the members of my family, not as a trick but just as something he has picked up. I really dislike highly trained animals because they just act like slaves. Treat your dog like a family member and he'll act like one. Don't make a big deal about food and table scraps and neither will the dog.

I'll be damned if a cat even acknowledges my presence. They always have that damn vacant look.

forkies
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2003, 04:53 AM

omg who'd invite such evil into one's household?!

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

gadster
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2003, 07:48 AM

Dogs. At least you can talk to dogs, and they smile. With cats, you talk to them and they are yawning and stretching and licking their paws then looking at you like de Niro in Taxidriver. "You ��cken talking to me?"

Fickle critters, cats.
e-gads

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2003, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by iWrite:
So, now I don't hate cats any longer -- but this particular cat probably has above average intelligence or something ---> .

But, I really do like dogs more. [....] If I say, "Go to your kennel," he goes to his kennel. If I say, "Go to the back room," he goes to the family room and stays there. If I say, "Get outside," he goes out my back sliding door to the back yard. If I say, "Get down," whatever furniture he's on (bed, sofa, chair) he jumps down from. He understands commands. He's also obedience trained and he NEVER has an accident in the house -- he'll hold it for hours. You can say, "Let's go bye-bye," and he knows to go get in the car.

Well, you get the picture. They're REALLY people-person animals. They crave human companionship. Cats aren't the same way. You can't tell a cat to jump in the car and take 'em to the beach. Or on a road trip. They're more independent.
Cats are a lot more like healthy people IMO. They will cuddle if they feel like cuddling, and if they don't, and you insist, they'll let you know that you're outta line. I respect that. And I like it.

I can really understand people liking dogs for having a best-buddy kind of chum. But I see dog owners regularly beat and kick the **** out of their animals, and they *still* come back and roll over.

However despicable the owners' behavior in such cases may be, it seems to me indicative of the degenerate nature of pets produced by thousands of generations of in-breeding and selection for docility that they take such abuse.

I find it difficult to respect anything that "sits" because I tell it to, rather than because it thinks it's a good idea.

Person, or animal.

-s*
( Last edited by Spheric Harlot; Nov 3, 2003 at 08:51 AM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2003, 08:58 AM

Anyone who thinks that dogs smell: that's only the fault of negligent owners. You don't say that you hate children because they smell; that's the parent's fault.
You, sir, have NEVER changed a diaper.

To say that kids don't stink is denying a fact of life. It's not a problem, and after nappy-change it's all fine, but to say it doesn't smell is just wrong.

I'll be damned if a cat even acknowledges my presence. They always have that damn vacant look.
Maybe the cats you've encountered just don't like you.

My (ex-*)cat will look straight at you if you say her name, and most of the time, she'll come if called - unless she's busy.

-s*

(* actually, my ex-girlfriend's cat. It moved out with her after a year. A sad day.)

voyageur
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2003, 09:45 AM

Spheric, it doesn't sound like you've ever changed a diaper either, if you think most dogs smell like that!

Some dogs roll (better not to ask) and need baths then. I've never have I met a dog that smells as bad as a diaper. My dogs are clean, and don't smell.

But, if you're going to be fussy about it, think about cats always licking themselves. People generally don't bathe their cats, so they're always covered in saliva! Now that's an attractive thought.

As for the comment about dogs coming back to owners even if they are mistreated, yes it's true. But you know abused children will do that too. Abused kids and animals deserve pity not scorn.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2003, 03:25 PM

Birds.

(Otherwise... dogs)

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

ZackS  (op)
Banned
Nov 3, 2003, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
You, sir, have NEVER changed a diaper.

To say that kids don't stink is denying a fact of life. It's not a problem, and after nappy-change it's all fine, but to say it doesn't smell is just wrong.
Firstly: yes I have changed and diaper and it was ****ing awful. I was talking about children 5-7 and how if their parents suck they start to really smell. You know, the smelly kid in kindergarten.

As for abusing dogs, that's just mean. Honestly, who hurts a dog like that? The problem with people abusing dog is that they won't strike back, which I think is a REALLY positive trait, especially when dealing with little children and the 'abuse" is really just an accident or stupid things kids do. Would you like it if your little boy bulled a lab's tail and it turned around and just chomped down on his hands? No, you'd be friggin livid. When I was about 6, I accidentally stepped on a cat's tail. It made this horrible sound and then proceeded to MAUL MY LEG. I have had cats stalk me in bushes and pounce my legs, claws extended, knead my back while sleeping (that was an especially fun one) and run up the front of me and down the back, digging claws in to my skin to stop from falling. Cats are ****ing oblivious to the fact that what they do might be hurting someone a little too much. They're self centered AND violent. I hate hate hate hate them.

It's not just one cat either, I've been used as a scratching post by, I'd say, over 9 or 10 cats. I've met nice cats too but almost all of them have exhibited "dog-like" behavior.

petehammer
Senior User
Nov 3, 2003, 04:02 PM

Cats v. dogs?

I'm voting for the one smart enough not to smell others' asses or eat its own fecal matter.

That is, I like cats.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2003, 04:44 PM

I own both, so I abstain.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Forum Links
Forum Rules