Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Weird permissions problem

Weird permissions problem
Hop Pocket
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2003, 09:49 PM

Hey

I have multiple uses that belong to a common group ('admin') in NetInfoManager.

However, when trying to set my permissions for a particular volume, I can't seem to set read/write permissions for a particular use that belongs to this group.

For example:

Here I have chosen the 'admin' group for the group selector, but I can not choose Read & Write for the access.

I'd like for anyone in the 'admin' group to be able to read and write files to this volume.

Any ideas? I did authenticate when I chose the 'admin' group, but the Access chooser has always been greyed out.

thanks

barbarian
Senior User
Nov 13, 2003, 10:18 PM

I've been super confused by this too... the solution is pretty simple though... basically one of the other users controls access. so you just have to go through selecting the other users until the Access controls un-dim.

Hop Pocket  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2003, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by barbarian:
I've been super confused by this too... the solution is pretty simple though... basically one of the other users controls access. so you just have to go through selecting the other users until the Access controls un-dim.
Perfect! Thank you so much. I thought I was going crazy.

dagaz
Nov 14, 2003, 12:16 AM

Or you can do this in the terminal by typing the chmod command (change modes).e.g. chmod g+w ~/Desktop/Media will change the permissions for group (g) to include write (+w).BTW there's a space both before and after g+w
Not compatible with Windows

Hop Pocket  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2003, 12:18 AM

Originally posted by dagaz:
Or you can do this in the terminal by typing the chmod command (change modes).e.g. chmod g+w ~/Desktop/Media will change the permissions for group (g) to include write (+w).BTW there's a space both before and after g+w
good to know. thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules