Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther Finder

Panther Finder
undotwa
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2004, 03:12 AM

Am I the only one who finds the Panther Finder so 'tacky', unintuitive etc. Able should think about what they put into their products more.
In vino veritas.

Chris Grande
Senior User
Jan 11, 2004, 03:34 AM

Well...I don't find it tacky if you mean the medal interface, that really doesn't bother me. I think the Panther Finder is a large step forward. The sidebar is a great idea and then replicating that against all the open/save dialogs is great. I drag a project that I'm working on into that left bar then it is so easy to access it from an program, the Favorites folder was a step towards this but required to many clicks.

As far as the medal vs Aqua debate, that is always a matter of taste it seems.

undotwa  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2004, 06:56 AM

Originally posted by Chris Grande:
Well...I don't find it tacky if you mean the medal interface, that really doesn't bother me. I think the Panther Finder is a large step forward. The sidebar is a great idea and then replicating that against all the open/save dialogs is great. I drag a project that I'm working on into that left bar then it is so easy to access it from an program, the Favorites folder was a step towards this but required to many clicks.

As far as the medal vs Aqua debate, that is always a matter of taste it seems.
I do not mean the brushed metal effect. I just feel the application is poorly designed, and is difficult to work with. What ever happened to the 'single' approach of Apple computer? Why is it necessary to have a classic view?
In vino veritas.

Hop Pocket
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2004, 11:22 AM

I thought the OS9 Finder was more useful. I can't exactly put my finger on what, really. Maybe it was the overall refinement.

Panther Finder is still very buggy.

OSX Finder, WinXP Explorer, KDE Konqueror, all of these Finder-esque applications I believe to be of the utmost priority with regards to software stability. I think that Apple has dropped the ball with the Finder.

Also, I find the sidebar to be pretty useful, except for the fact that I have quite a few places that I would like to use there, and I find myself always swapping out "hot" locations on the sidebar.

Also, if I delete something from my hard disk that was referenced in the sidebar, it becomes a nightmare to then remove it from my sidebar. I usually have to create a dummy folder / file so that I can drag it out of the Sidebar. That is pretty poor app design IMHO.

Ok, enough ranting

suthercd
Senior User
Jan 11, 2004, 11:53 AM

ondotwa-

Click on the button in the top right corner of a Finder window and the new features are hidden, leaving just the window. Is

Hop Pocket-

If I delete a file or folder that is in the sidebar, dragging the icon of the deleted item from the sidebar deletes that icon. How is the Finder buggy? Not baiting, honestly curious. The only times I have had to re-start the Finder have been due to poorly written shareware.

Craig

xe0
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2004, 12:01 PM

Seeing I've only used the Finder in 0S9 for a short time, I haven't really had time to form a thorough judgment- although I do have an opinion: its a cumbersome way to navigate through file directories...

KDE Konqueror tries to be win explorer- but doesn't quite cut it
Win Explorer itself isn't all that bad, it has its selling points
0S9 Finder is also quite good, but I found it very limited in options- and clunky to navigate as mentioned.
0SX Finder is my personal favorite. And although not perfect, it really employes its name into the function.

And the Brushed metal rawks!

Cipher13
Jan 11, 2004, 12:12 PM

The Jag Finder is far better than the Panther Finder... and even the Jag Finder was horrible.

I just hate the Brushed Metal motif - it's very bulky. It uses so much space.

You can't get rid of the sidebar; sure, you can hide it, but you have to do that for EVERY new folder you open.

If you use the sidebar, you can't get rid of the toolbar. I only want one! I only need one! What inane "logic" made Apple decide that you either had BOTH, redundantly, or NONE?

Stupid.

Hop Pocket
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2004, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by suthercd:
Hop Pocket-

If I delete a file or folder that is in the sidebar, dragging the icon of the deleted item from the sidebar deletes that icon. How is the Finder buggy? Not baiting, honestly curious. The only times I have had to re-start the Finder have been due to poorly written shareware.

Craig
No problem Craig,

For me, if I delete an item in the sidebar, when I try and drag it out, the first click I do on that item causes Finder to launch a modal window saying something to the effect of "This item no longer exists", and then deselects that item.

Because this happens every time I click on the item, I cannot drag it off. I have to go edit some inane plist file to remove it.

Chris Grande
Senior User
Jan 11, 2004, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by Hop Pocket:
[B...saying something to the effect of "This item no longer exists", and then deselects that item.
[/B]
If you click on it and then let go it thinks you are trying to open it and will send up that dialog, all you need to do is click and hold on it and drag it out and once your outside of the sidebar let go.

Hop Pocket
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2004, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by Chris Grande:
If you click on it and then let go it think you are trying to open it and will send up that dialog, all you need to do is click and hold on it and drag it out.
Actually I tried that, but right when i mousedown it pops up the dialog box. Hence, the drag operation fails.

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2004, 08:54 PM

I would just like a way to completely disable icon and list view, for ever, period. Panther is better than previous versions, but I still get folders opening in icon view from time to time.

suthercd
Senior User
Jan 11, 2004, 10:25 PM

Hop Pocket-

I am not able to duplicate the behavior you describe. Somewhere in the dim recesses of my mine I remember an add-on that would allow single click launching or file opening-- but now am wondering if that wasn't in kde. Drove me crazy. You could try re-booting with the shift key down and then logging in with the shift ket down.. results in a safe boot and non-essential extensions not loaded.

A single click on a icon in the sidebar selects it on my machine and a subsequent click and drag deletes it with a poof. Other than having assistive devices enabled in the Universal Access Preference Pane, my config is very vanilla with no login items and only one extra pref pane for Hardware diagnostics and it is from Apple.

Wish I could be more helpful- what you describe is not the default activity.

Craig

Chris Grande
Senior User
Jan 11, 2004, 11:47 PM

I can delete it 100% of the time, just by dragging it out. I'm not sure what could be causing your trouble. I also asked two friends who were online and it worked fine for them.

Hop Pocket
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2004, 11:55 PM

Hey Guys

Thanks for your helpfulness. Well, I guess in the last minor release or two it got fixed, b/c I tried it out and it worked!

This thread is now a happy thread.

jasong
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2004, 12:14 AM

Panther Finder is a million times better than OS 9. navigation is so much smoother and faster, it is more obvious, feels better, and more productive.

I recently discovered the most dramatic workflow breakthrough with Expos�. In Dreamweaver I design HTML pages that are actually email messages that we send to our DB at work. I don't send out the message, so I create it in Dreamweaver and then send it to the person who sends out the message. In Windows and Mac prior to Panther, I would open a new mail message, switch to the file browser, navigate to the file and drag it to the message (or click the attach icon and navigate to it. Now, with Expos�, I right click on mail to open a new mail message, switch back to Dreamweaver, grab the proxy icon in the Title Bar, activate Expos� and drop the file. Whole process takes about 2 seconds vs 15 or so the old way. Works better than the old Mac OS 9 shareware that let you click on an open window in Open/Save.

Hmm . . . I guess that has nothing to do with the Finder, but I am going to leave since I spent so much effort typing it.

-- Jason

Orion27
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2004, 12:21 AM

If you slide the sidebar closed, only the toolbar
remains and subsequent windows open with only the toolbar. Close all the Finder windows and when you ask for a new Finder window it opens again with only the menue bar present.
I like the new Finder. I like the sidebar and column view. List view remains because it is useful to sort by date, name, size,kind. I miss the Apple Menue less and less. The dock has replaced it for me. Not sure if it's faster though. Tacky it's not. Utilitarian, yes. Does it need some refinement? Yes. I will say this Finder has been rock solid for me. Buggy?
yes, I've had issues with the right side of the menue bar and cured it with a trashed .plist file. My machine never crashes and that includes my new AL 15' PB. X is a tad slow on my dual 1.25, but I could use more memory.
Overall I'm really enjoying this new ride. Looking forward to 10.4. 10.3.1 and 10.3.2 have been very stable for me.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2004, 01:30 AM

There are some good an bad things about the new finder. The sidebar has its plusses and minuses. The brushed metal has its plusses and minuses, but what bothers me about the bad things is how retarded they are.

Sidebar
It's very much like having a secondary dock. It is quick and easy and nice to have. Its issues: The biggest issue for me is the way it deals with its contextual buttons. For example removable disk icons are accompanied by 'eject' symbols, but when you scale the bar all the way down you lose that functonality. If you want to have the functionality, you scale it out a little bit, but then you lose the quick nametags that pop up when the bar is scaled down.

Toolbar
Useful, but bulky and lacking in a way to do away with it while keeping the sied bar. The tool bar has a lot of functions. The utility pulldown crams a huge number of features under a nondescript button. Yet there are only a handfull of potential button additions to the toolbar.

Overall
I just find it annoying what a bad use the finder is of the brushed metal interface. I like being able to grab a window anywhere around its edge to drag it (� la OS 9). This is an interface that can be implemented very well, such as in Safari. The problem with the finder is that it takes a very immature approach to reproducing the usefulness of Safari's interface.

As you can see, the Finder wastes a lot of space compared to Safari. In the same size window, safari leaves significantly more real-estate to the window's contents. There are ways to get around the space issue, like using a text-only toolbar (in the window customization settings) but you sacrifice having a built-in search field. This just means they didn't bother with being consistent, which used to be the big attraction of the Mac OS interface: consistency.

Chris Grande
Senior User
Jan 12, 2004, 04:03 AM

On your last note about how Safari seems 'tighter' in appearance. I think this has to do with the fact that Safari doesn't use the standard OS X toolbar that the Finder/Mail/Sherlock/etc use. You can see this in the fact that there is very little in customization of the Safari toolbar, for example you can't move the controls around.

One thing that I find I sometimes have trouble with (not so much now in 10.3.2) but with the eject symbol in the sidebar, I found sometimes it just wouldn't work while dragging the disk off the desktop and into the trash would unmount it instantly.

Also the annoying color shift in the Finder widgets bugs me to no end.

Cipher13
Jan 12, 2004, 04:08 AM

Originally posted by Orion27:
If you slide the sidebar closed, only the toolbar
remains and subsequent windows open with only the toolbar. Close all the Finder windows and when you ask for a new Finder window it opens again with only the menue bar present.
I like the new Finder. I like the sidebar and column view. List view remains because it is useful to sort by date, name, size,kind. I miss the Apple Menue less and less. The dock has replaced it for me. Not sure if it's faster though. Tacky it's not. Utilitarian, yes. Does it need some refinement? Yes. I will say this Finder has been rock solid for me. Buggy?
yes, I've had issues with the right side of the menue bar and cured it with a trashed .plist file. My machine never crashes and that includes my new AL 15' PB. X is a tad slow on my dual 1.25, but I could use more memory.
Overall I'm really enjoying this new ride. Looking forward to 10.4. 10.3.1 and 10.3.2 have been very stable for me.
Set your view up. Make a new folder. Open it. Sidebar back.

THAT is one of the problems.

If I could ENTIRELY remove the toolbar, or the sidebar, I'd probably be happy.

Design wise, the Jag Finder is still better.

Forum Links
Forum Rules