Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Sharing a .mac email account with Mail.app

Sharing a .mac email account with Mail.app
Hop Pocket
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2004, 10:06 PM

I tried to search for this, but I kept getting timeouts, so sorry if this is a repeat.

I am subscribed to a cocoa-dev mail list, in which I might get ~100 emails a day. I have a mac at home, and a mac at work, both running Panther.

I currently have an identical rule set up on both machines that intercepts those messages and saves them to local folders on my machine (not a .mac folder).

My problem is that whichever computer gets the mail first is the only computer to get that particular email. I would like for both computers to get the same email, and be able to save that email to the hard drive, in a similar folder.

Is the only way to do this to create a folder on my .mac account into which to save this type of email? I don't want to start using .mac email folders, because I'm paranoid about space usage.

thanks

tRr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2004, 12:01 AM

Hey,

I really shouldn't be replying since I don't really know much about this, but since there are no replies yet I'll try to kick things off...

It seems like your using IMAP to access your mail (if you choose .Mac as the account type in Mail this is what its called), which none of my mail servers support, so I don't think I'll be of much help, but in the rule does it say to "copy" the message or "move" it? Moving could possible take if off the .Mac server and place it only on the computer that you checked it on.

If you use "copy" message on both computers as a rule, hopefully then if you check your mail first at work it will leave it on the .Mac server, and when you come home and check your mail it will hopefully think its new and the rule their should also copy it to it's hard drive.

Then hopefully it would just be a matter of deleting the older e-mails off .Mac (probably best to wait until the messages are around a week old to make sure both computers have them)

There is 15MB of storage with .Mac, and what your trying to do is basically the whole benefit of IMAP-- that you keep your mail on the server so you have it wherever you go.

Hopefully someone else will have a more concrete solution to help you

Ryan

Hop Pocket  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2004, 03:46 PM

Hey, thanks for the reply Ryan. I changed my rules this morning to both "copy" instead of "move", and it is working beautifully. The only thing I'd like to change would be to not have those messages stay in my INBOX, but short of moving the messages to the IMAP server, I don't see a way to do it.

Not a big deal tho -- thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules