Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 suddenly reading 512MB chips as 256MB

G5 suddenly reading 512MB chips as 256MB
mac freak
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2004, 10:32 PM

I bought a rev. A DP1.8 last December, and installed an extra 1GB memory (2 512MB sticks, forget the brand, but I know I had two options and bought the non-generic) before I even booted up the machine for the first time. It's always been fully recognized (1.5GB). The last time I checked before today was maybe a month ago.

However, today I went to About This Mac and saw that it thought I only had 1GB installed. Sure enough, I ran the system profiler and my 2 512MB chips are being read as 256MB. So instead of 2x256 + 2x512, it's giving me 4x256.

What could have caused this, and how can I fix it? The only programs I've installed lately are Homeworld 2, Motion and iCAR, none of which I'd imagine would affect my RAM. Admittedly, I don't remember checking immediately after I installed 10.3.5 whenever that came out -- could that be a cause? I don't remember noticing any change, and I DO usually open the About This Mac screen after applying an update to see the new version number, but it's conceivable I didn't check and thus didn't notice.

But I don't remember reading about any RAM issues associated with 10.3.5. My G5 is in a bit of a sandwiched location, and I'd love to think this is a software-solvable issue, but if I have to open it up and mess with the RAM, so be it.

Thanks for any help!

**small update: I booted from the hardware test DVD, and it reported an error on a memory stick, and lists both sticks as "256/512" with RED labels. I haven't taken the time to run the whole test yet (damn machine scares me running off that DVD, sounds like an airplane!).
( Last edited by mac freak; Oct 5, 2004 at 11:01 PM. )
Be happy.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2004, 12:11 AM

Unfortunately I think this is a problem with the RAM that is not easily solvable. I was searching for some cheap ram for my G4 and was reading a page that mentioned this exact problem. Now lets see if I can find it again . . . searching pricewatch . . . aha look here if you are curious. It does not have a solution, but you may understand more of the technical stuff than me including this line from the site, "*Only very few motherboards/chipset support memory modules made by x4 DRAMs (Intel and AMD chipsets DO NOT support x4 DRAMs). Please check compatibility before you purchase. Your system will not be able to boot up or only recognize HALF of the memory size if it does not support x4 DRAMs."

good luck

mac freak  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2004, 07:25 PM

Interesting!
However, since my system successfully utilized all that RAM for months without any issue, I'm thinking that's not the problem...
Be happy.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2004, 09:57 PM

my crucial RAM for the sisters iBook did just that. if it is bad RAM, it'll show half or none of the RAM, depending on how bad. My sister's 256MB chip only read 128MB on the computer, returned it. so maybe your RAM just turned bad.
iamwhor3hay

dtriska
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2004, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by mac freak:
**small update: I booted from the hardware test DVD, and it reported an error on a memory stick, and lists both sticks as "256/512" with RED labels. I haven't taken the time to run the whole test yet (damn machine scares me running off that DVD, sounds like an airplane!).
There's your answer. RAM typically has a lifetime warranty, so the company you bought it from should replace it for free.

mac freak  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2004, 10:45 PM

Alright -- I'll give em a call tomorrow, assuming I can remember where I got it!
Be happy.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2004, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by MrForgetable:
my crucial RAM for the sisters iBook did just that. if it is bad RAM, it'll show half or none of the RAM, depending on how bad. My sister's 256MB chip only read 128MB on the computer, returned it. so maybe your RAM just turned bad.
I agree with your assessment.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2004, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by MrForgetable:
...so maybe your RAM just turned bad.
Is that like when Potato Salad goes bad?
( Last edited by Eriamjh; Oct 12, 2004 at 12:36 PM. )

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules