Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > no0b questions about iMac G5 - please forgive me

no0b questions about iMac G5 - please forgive me
Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2005, 08:34 PM

I am a new user, fresh from Windows XP, and I have a few questions, hopefully I am posting in the correct forum. Please forgive my lack of knowledge about Mac, I am new to it, like 1.5 weeks into it. Heh.

1. When you drag something to the trash, and empty it, is it really gone off of the hard drive?

2. When using Safari, if you choose to surf with cookies/history in the off mode, is any trace of any website registered on your computer? Like if I visit this site, with that turned off, will my wife or anyone be able to tell that I have been here?

3. I'm intrigued by the "Stickies" on my G5. Can anyone point me in the direction on how to use them? I tried searching, but I guess I don't know what to search for.

One last thing. A lot of Windows users have told me that OS X will be obsolete in a year, and that I will be S.O.L., and my computer will be a perfect door stop. Are they right?

warra
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2005, 08:49 PM

How would it be obsolete? 10.5 (leopard) is already scheduled for release when MS Vista is released in about a year. Are you referring to the fact that vista and leopard can both use an intel processor? Dual boot systems will be the result of a software hack, there will be no official release since it would not be good for business.
PB12 / 1.5 / 80 / 1.25 / SD

sodamnregistered2
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2005, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid
One last thing. A lot of Windows users have told me that OS X will be obsolete in a year, and that I will be S.O.L., and my computer will be a perfect door stop. Are they right?
Apple is moving to Intel chips. You will have to upgrade all of your software to run on Intel chips or use the Rosetta translator/emulator whatever it is.

OS X will still be the OS, but your iMac will very likely have very poor resale value.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16GHz 2GB 120GB OSX 10.4.9, Boot Camp 1.2, Vista Home Premium
mac mini 1.42, 60GB 7200rpm, 1GB (sold), dual 2GHz/G5 (sold), Powerbook 15" 1GHz (sold)
dual G4 800MHz (sold), dual G4 450MHz (sold), G4 450MHz (sold), Powerbook Pismo G3 500MHz (sold)
PowerMac 9500 132MHz 601, dual 180MHz 604e, Newer G3 400MHz (in closet)
Powermac 7100 80MHz (sold), Powermac 7100 66MHz (sold)

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2005, 03:00 AM

1. When you trash it and empty the trash, it is removed from the index. To "totally" remove it from your drive, put it in the trash and choose Secure Empty Trash.

2. To visit pages without people able to trace it, disable cookies and put Safari in private mode.

3. If you mean the Stickies on Dashboard, you can drag a sticky out of the Dashboard dock and type the info you want into it. To change font or color, flip the widget by pressing the small "i".
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

icibaqu
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2005, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid
HAHAHAHAHAHAH.......no.

osx 'tiger' will still be a more effective, better designed, more secure and overall more advanced/better operating system than windows' "vista". Also, if you upgrade to 10.5 you'll be that much further ahead (depending on what 10.5 holds in store).

as to obsolete b/c of the intel chips. chill chill chill. you're powerpc mac will be supported and will have universal binary coded software for at least a few years (i.e. pretty much until you want to switch away based on average computer lifespan).

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Aug 12, 2005, 09:55 PM

A lot of Windows users don't like that
a) People have been switching since the release of Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar.
b) They have to wait for technologies that are already implemented in Tiger
c) Mac OS X will not be supported on their cheap white boxes
d) iTMS has 82% marketshare and iPod has 70% marketshare

Your system will not become obsolete in a year. Steve Jobs has made it clear that this is a gradual change to the Intel architecture. The iMac G5 will be one of the computers listed under the system requirements for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. So don't let it worry you.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 10:00 PM

The only possible fallout from the Intel switch for PowerPC users like you (and me!) is that there might not be as much new software available at some point in the future that will run on our chips. There are two important things to consider, though:

1) It'll be a long time before the softwae market is impacted.

2) Who cares? Your Mac came with the best software already installed!

Forum Links
Forum Rules