Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Who's the idiot that designed Office 2007?!

Who's the idiot that designed Office 2007?!
kman42
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2007, 09:01 PM

I just had my first unfortunate interaction with the new Office. Wow is it awful. I know the old menus were cluttered, but now there are all these buttons of different sizes and shapes. And you have to really stretch your mouse movement to hit anything. For instance, if you select one of the menu buttons you might have to go all the way across the screen to find what you are looking for rather than just having the menu pop down. It took me 15 minutes to figure out how to print and I had to ask someone. Why does that stupid Office button look different from the rest of the buttons?

What were they thinking?

kman

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2007, 09:03 PM

Oh yeah. Why do the dialog boxes that popup have different fonts and a different color scheme than the rest of the interface? The dialogs are traditional XP, while the rest of the interface is now Office 2007.

Rumor
Mar 15, 2007, 09:05 PM

Don't you mean...

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
Oh yeah. Why do the dialog boxes that popup have different fonts and a different color scheme than the rest of the interface? The dialogs are traditional XP, while the rest of the interface is teh WOW Office 2007.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2007, 09:07 PM

It was me, sorry to have failed you.

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2007, 09:19 PM

It's pretty damn bad. I had the same problem with printing, and had one of my co-workers come in to ask me if I had "figured out how to print yet." I still don't know how to put in a section break.

The two of us switched over before the rest of our office so we'll know how to answer everyone's questions when they get the upgrade; I have a feeling our whole office is going to implode from people not knowing what the hell is going on.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2007, 09:22 PM

Don't you print by hitting ctrl-p?

HackManDan
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2007, 09:34 PM

God bless OpenOffice

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2007, 09:41 PM

Proud to say we still use Office 2004 at work.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

TurboMac
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2007, 10:28 PM

We are switching soon as our IT is "Managed" by Microsoft. Our Microsoft presenter yesterday came out and said she has no idea if Office 2007 will even work with Vista? We are actually the first big corp to switch completely. And yes it is clanky, but the new graphics! Give me a break. I'm seeing some real issues in the near future, but hey we have new graphics for Powerpoint! Yay!
PowerBook 1.67 - www.qimcoinc.com

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2007, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Uh..... yeah. Some of us do not memorize keyboard shortcuts. The Ribbon interface is awful. It took me a couple minutes to find the Fill menu in Excel.

The functions are not even grouped intelligently and when you click on one tab, you lose sight of the default controls.

Why did they hide the print function on that awful Office start menu?
( Last edited by aristotles; Mar 15, 2007 at 10:51 PM. )
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2007, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Proud to say we still use Office XP at work.
Fixed.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2007, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
Fixed.
Uh…how do you know his work doesn't use Office 2004?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Railroader
Banned
Mar 15, 2007, 11:37 PM

I am an idiot, alas I did not design Office 2007. andreas_g4 did.

highstakes
Senior User
Mar 15, 2007, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by HackManDan View Post
God bless OpenOffice
Amen.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2007, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by HackManDan View Post
God bless NeoOffice
Fixed.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

highstakes
Senior User
Mar 16, 2007, 12:45 AM

Is NeoOffice the "Mac" version of Open Office (like Camino-Firefox)? I've been using Open Office for a long time now, so never really looked in to NeoOffice.

freudling
Banned
Mar 16, 2007, 03:39 AM

Office sucks. Gates sucks. I hate Microsoft. I love to admit. Screw them. Get on the wagon, buy an Apple and switch to iWork (I did, best move I have made in a long time) or use open source stuff like Open Office, but drop Microsoft! Drop MSN! Drop Crapmail! Get out of it.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2007, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by highstakes View Post
Is NeoOffice the "Mac" version of Open Office (like Camino-Firefox)? I've been using Open Office for a long time now, so never really looked in to NeoOffice.
Yes.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2007, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
Uh..... yeah. Some of us do not memorize keyboard shortcuts.
My wife's 87 year old grandmother prints by hitting CTRL-P

Well, CMD-P now that she has a Mac.

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2007, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by itai195 View Post
My wife's 87 year old grandmother prints by hitting CTRL-P

Well, CMD-P now that she has a Mac.
When I worked as Desktop Support for University IT, it drove me nuts how few people on either platform knew anything about Keyboard Shortcuts. They would spend 10 minutes showing me the problem using all menus. I am too used to the shortcuts now.
SAm

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2007, 08:12 AM

Proud to say we use Macs, and so that POS Office 2004.
we don't have time to stop for gas

alligator
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2007, 08:34 AM

My company will switch to office 2007 in about 15 years. They want to wait for the bugs to be worked out. So much for being on the leading edge.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2007, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by sknapp351 View Post
When I worked as Desktop Support for University IT, it drove me nuts how few people on either platform knew anything about Keyboard Shortcuts. They would spend 10 minutes showing me the problem using all menus. I am too used to the shortcuts now.
SAm
If that sort of thing drives you nuts, one can only conclude that you are entirely unfit for the job of desktop SUPPORT.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2007, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by alligator View Post
My company will switch to office 2007 in about 15 years. They want to wait for the bugs to be worked out. So much for being on the leading edge.
That's probably a good idea. Being on the bleeding edge with Microsoft can really hurt.
Chuck
___

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2007, 10:55 AM

Uh..... yeah. Some of us do not memorize keyboard shortcuts. The Ribbon interface is awful. It took me a couple minutes to find the Fill menu in Excel.

The functions are not even grouped intelligently and when you click on one tab, you lose sight of the default controls.

Why did they hide the print function on that awful Office start menu?
What's to memorize? P = Print, S = Save...

When I was working in corporate IT I always made it a point to show people the keyboard commands for their most used functions. Probably 98% of the time they loved them and never went back. They aren't difficult to learn, and they save you time, effort, and wrist strain (unless you actually mouse properly, which most people don't).

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2007, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
If that sort of thing drives you nuts, one can only conclude that you are entirely unfit for the job of desktop SUPPORT.
Have you done desktop support? Have you ever had to deal with the same users coming to you with the exact same problem repeatedly because they've consistently failed to learn the solution you taught them no matter how many different ways you've tried to do it? It gets incredibly frustrating, no matter how much patience you have. The question is whether or not you let the user know how annoyed you are. (Hint: if you're good, you don't.)

And it isn't an issue of being bad at support, some users quite literally will refuse to learn because why should they when they can just keep getting you to do it?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2007, 11:46 AM

I didn't think for a second to click on the big Windows logo in the top left corner to get the File menu to come down. I must've spent 10 minutes on that thing looking through the buttons and preferences to see how I could get the damn thing to print.

It kept crashing whenever I used the quick print button in the quick button ribbon, so I wanted to get the Page Layout and printing preferences.

Ugh.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2007, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
That's probably a good idea. Being on the bleeding edge with Microsoft can really hurt.
Being on the bleed of anything can, and usually does hurt Including OS X!
we don't have time to stop for gas

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2007, 12:25 PM

What's to memorize? P = Print, S = Save...

When I was working in corporate IT I always made it a point to show people the keyboard commands for their most used functions. Probably 98% of the time they loved them and never went back. They aren't difficult to learn, and they save you time, effort, and wrist strain (unless you actually mouse properly, which most people don't).
Sometimes people become confused if you move a desktop icon over by a few inches.

I think an IQ test should be mandatory before you can even go near a computer.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

OreoCookie
Mar 16, 2007, 12:37 PM

Can any of you post examples? That oughta be fun … 
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2007, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Can any of you post examples? That oughta be fun …
Q: Can you walk and chew gum at the same time?
A: (Circle one) Yes No
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2007, 12:59 PM

The other thing that drives me nuts about Office 2007 is like other said are the buttons and menus in Outlook. Did anyone notice the "Gray" "Sent to" "To and "CC" buttons in Outlook? Did someone forget to program those 2 buttons? they don't even match with the rest of the interface. WTF!?
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Ham Sandwich
Mar 16, 2007, 05:35 PM

I've been using 2007 since the early betas and it does blow very hard. The Windows "gem" in the top left to get to commands like saving and printing has to be one of the worst UI things I've ever seen. Everyone I know who has ran 2007 has had the same problem. Where was this innovation and user-friendlyness they were touting?

Another favorite is Outlook. The polished up the exterior but it is still the exact horrific, bloated mess inside copied right from every version of Outlook that followed previously. I hate Outlook. With a passion. Why on earth an email client has to be so "feature rich" and cumbersome is beyond me. Not a day goes by our HelpDesk doesn't get calls regarding "how do I archive again?" or "Outlook is doing...".

Vista has some great features and UI enhancements, too. I especially love how the outside has changed but a lot of the dialogues are culled directly from XP and before.

Really, it looks like some drunken themer got a hold of some MS code and had a field day but forgot to finish.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2007, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by screamingFit View Post
I've been using 2007 since the early betas and it does blow very hard. The Windows "gem" in the top left to get to commands like saving and printing has to be one of the worst UI things I've ever seen. Everyone I know who has ran 2007 has had the same problem. Where was this innovation and user-friendlyness they were touting?
How much do you want to bet that Office 2011 or whatever is next brings back the menu bars?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2007, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Sometimes people become confused if you move a desktop icon over by a few inches.
Believe me, I know.

I've actually had people who didn't understand that they had wireless internet because they thought Airport was just something they used when traveling. And that is definitely not the worst story I have.

I think an IQ test should be mandatory before you can even go near a computer.
Nah, they just need the IQ test before they're allowed to ask for help.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2007, 10:39 PM

"What does the F1 key do?"
"It depends on what program you are using, it usually is just a keyboard shortcut."
"No, I mean what does it DO?"
"It just simplifies a function, so you don't have to select it from the menu."
"But how does it WORK?"

(got it from this site.)
Signature depreciated.

Northeastern292
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2007, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by alligator View Post
I bet Microsoft will still Windows XP in fifteen years.

P.S. I am now a junior member! 50 posts!
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2007, 02:46 PM

It's weird coming from a Mac world and having to use Windows at work. Nothing about the Windows interface makes any sense. It's not that it's confusing, it's just that it looks stupid. If you spend five minutes familiarizing yourself with the new Office it's easy to use, but why should you have to do that? It's like they took what would be an intuitive interface and went with the exact opposite.

I hate Outlook 2007 because it uses the HTML rendering engine of ****ing Word, so it breaks HTML e-mails. Found that one out the fun way.

What about IE7? How does having the Back and Forward buttons on the left of the address bar and the Stop and Reload buttons on the other side make any sense? Just ridiculous.

OreoCookie
Mar 17, 2007, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Q: Can you walk and chew gum at the same time?
A: (Circle one) Yes No
I was referring to screenshots …
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

turboSPE
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 17, 2007, 11:39 PM

I wish we could be so lucky! We're still using Windows 2k/Office 2k at my job. I've volunteered to be my group's Windows XP/Office XP tester. We should be rolling out by the end of 2009.

turboSPE

Hash
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2007, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I didn't think for a second to click on the big Windows logo in the top left corner to get the File menu to come down. I must've spent 10 minutes on that thing looking through the buttons and preferences to see how I could get the damn thing to print.

It kept crashing whenever I used the quick print button in the quick button ribbon, so I wanted to get the Page Layout and printing preferences.

Ugh.
I had exactly same problem. Couldn't find printing. I thought that icon was a decoration - turned out to be old File. As soon as I found I could customize a small space near the icon, put there printing shortcut. And there are 2 different printing commands, BTW. I think that MS tried to copy Mac OS X GUI with apple icon in the menubar which stores systemwide commands like shut down and etc.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2007, 02:26 PM

It's shocking to me how Microsoft just seems to have absolutely no clue about good user interface design.

They couldn't copy the File Edit View menu at the top of the screen, so they put it into the top of every window. My impression with Vista is that they realize that that method wasn't the best choice so what do they do to fix it? Since they know which menu items users use, they show those on a menu bar (in every window) and hide the rest. Smart. Thankfully they let you enable the File Edit View menu.

Like Hash mentioned, it seems like they figure that Apple's Services menu is a good system, so they created their Office 2007 button in the top left hand corner, put all the really useful items in there. . . and then forgot to tell everyone about it.

Microsoft definitely bought into the idea that if their product looks good then people will love it, regardless of how it functions. It's really sad since, in my opinion, they failed on both counts.

Originally Posted by Ozmodiar View Post
What about IE7? How does having the Back and Forward buttons on the left of the address bar and the Stop and Reload buttons on the other side make any sense? Just ridiculous.
What annoys me the most about that is that you can only tab to one of those buttons (I can't remember which, since thankfully I'm not at work) and that by putting them in the middle you have to hit tab twice to get from the address box to the search box. Maybe I'm just used to Safari and other web browsers, but why split up the "main function" buttons. That just goes against common sense.

I could sit and ran until I'm blue in the face, but it's not going to help.
( Last edited by mdc; Mar 18, 2007 at 02:32 PM. )

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2007, 11:31 AM

Ok ... who's the genius that thought it was a good idea to add flagged e-mails to my task list? As a result, it renders my task list too cluttered to be usable. Not feng-shui.

Back to Outlook 2003.

Another nit: HOLY COW I didn't think that one app (Outlook 2007) could slow down the performance of a machine so bad. This is on an Athlon 64 X2 Dual 5000+ with 2GB RAM. The rest of the office suite is now Open Office, but I need to keep Outlook around. It ain't gonna be 2007 though.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

andi*pandi
Apr 23, 2007, 12:07 PM

annnnddd... they've given outlook Words HTML rendering engine instead of IE7, so unless you've coded your HTML email to be compatible with IE5/6 (which is what the "new" Word has) hahahahahahaha.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2007, 12:26 PM

I just tried to downgrade ... apparently Office 2007 leaves a TON of stuff in the registry after a reinstall. A lot of references from objects to Office12 folders, etc. After the reinstall Office 2003 did not update these keys (probably because they were "newer". This left Office 2003 in a somewhat unstable condition. One example: I can no longer create a new task in Outlook 2003. I tried the "repair" and that didn't work either.

Looks like I'm going to do my semi-annual reinstall of Windows XP a little early. Thanks Microsoft.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2007, 01:42 PM

Nothing beats WordPerfect. Shift-F7 to print.

Cipher13
Apr 23, 2007, 01:45 PM

Uh..... yeah. Some of us do not memorize keyboard shortcuts.
You seriously can't remember control-p?

Even if not, do you not find it intuitive?

EDIT: Sorry, it's been covered. But seriously...

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2007, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by TurboMac View Post
We are actually the first big corp to switch completely.
That's rather surprising. All the big corporations and universities that I've dealt with have waited a year or more after the release of a Microsoft product (or any software product, for that matter) before they implement it across the entire company. This past summer we upgraded to SP2, Office 2003, and Notes R6...while Office 2007 and Notes R7 are the most current packages. Same goes for things like Photoshop and Acrobat.

The new Office sucks arse - I can agree with that much. I love Office 2003. I'm able to configure it to do exactly what I want with keyboard shortcuts or mouse clicks. I doubt I'll switch to Office 2007 anytime soon at home - it's just not worth the headache. At least Office 2003 quite closely resembles older versions of Office...

Also:

The UI for Office 2007 and IE7 really sucks. On the flip side, WMP11 still looks pretty slick - and allows you to bring back the standard menubar if you prefer. Why they didn't allow such things with their other apps is beyond me.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2007, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post
Nothing beats WordPerfect. Shift-F7 to print.
I could never express in words how much I hate WordPerfect.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2007, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
annnnddd... they've given outlook Words HTML rendering engine instead of IE7, so unless you've coded your HTML email to be compatible with IE5/6 (which is what the "new" Word has) hahahahahahaha.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
WTF? Why would they not use Trident in either of those products? That's astonishingly stupid, even for Microsoft.
Chuck
___

Forum Links
Forum Rules