Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > When is MacBook Pro going to see an update?

When is MacBook Pro going to see an update?
nathanxu
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2007, 05:30 AM

Hi guys,
My father is really sick of his IBM and he is going to replace it with a MacBook Pro 15 Inch. I told him to wait little bit longer since it was last updated in Last OCT. According to Mac Buyer's guide on Mac rumor, it has been 176 days since it was last updated and the average for update is 182 days. When is MacBook Pro going to see an update? What is the chance that the latest update will use Santo Rose? I think it had been 5 or 6 years since Power book or Macbook Pro went through a redesign, will that happen in next one or two years time?
Anyway, at the present, he will purchase one once an update had been made, how long will he wait for it?
Cheers
iMac 24 Inch, 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, 640 GB Hard drive, 256 MB NVIDIA
iPhone5 64GB Black
1TB Time Capsule

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Apr 18, 2007, 06:20 AM

Most probably a Santa Rosa MBP in May or June, this has been discussed a fair bit before..

Look here, some Googling might help you out, but to be honest nobody really knows, that Mac Buyers guide seems to be the most concise way of deciding whether to buy or simply wait (albeit in a fevered state of anxiousness and excitement).

I used to wait for new revisons before buying my Macs, but now I buy what I need when it's at a price that suits me as the inconvienience isn't worth it. (I recently bought a BlackBook C2D 2.0 to start my slow conversion to Universal, I could've waited till Leopard, but who knows if it'll be buggy/delayed again or whatever.)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2007, 06:02 PM

Santa Rosa will be released May 8th, I'm sure Apple will update to it quickly... probably late May/early June (like the C2D update) but possibly early May (like Core Duo).

I wouldn't bother waiting for Leopard after the MBP is updated.

sodamnregistered2
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2007, 07:19 PM

The current MacBook Pro is pretty sweet. Stable. Fast.

They are definitely the best looking laptops out there, even if long in the tooth. Who knows, the new MacBook Pro could look like poo. Ok, not likely, but still.

Apple also has to announce, and then ship. They have announced, so, they are even that much farther away from shipping.

Unless your dad is some kind of bleeding edge radical uberuser, and even if he is, I'm guessing that the current models are going to run solid for a while into the future.

Of course, I just got one of the $1999 models, so, pretty much, I have to adopt these opinions, lol.

G4 to Core Duo and Core 2 Duo was revolutionary, even if Apple was lame about it. Core 2 Duo to Santa Rosa is going to be a minor evolutionary step in comparison, so, it's not really worth freaking out about.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16GHz 2GB 120GB OSX 10.4.9, Boot Camp 1.2, Vista Home Premium
mac mini 1.42, 60GB 7200rpm, 1GB (sold), dual 2GHz/G5 (sold), Powerbook 15" 1GHz (sold)
dual G4 800MHz (sold), dual G4 450MHz (sold), G4 450MHz (sold), Powerbook Pismo G3 500MHz (sold)
PowerMac 9500 132MHz 601, dual 180MHz 604e, Newer G3 400MHz (in closet)
Powermac 7100 80MHz (sold), Powermac 7100 66MHz (sold)

Forum Links
Forum Rules