Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP will not accept blank media (CD-R/RW, etc)

MBP will not accept blank media (CD-R/RW, etc)
-Martin
Apr 18, 2006, 06:41 PM

Ok.......so I've been trying for a few days to fix this somehow, and it seems to no avail. I called Apple, and they told me to go to a certified reseller......the location of the reseller is miles away from where I live. So here is the problem:

My superdrive wont mount any blank media, but will read DVD's and CD's of any sort. This makes no sense to me because I just got the computer in last week. I posted on the Apple support forums, and it seems that there are many with the same or similar problems. I was wondering if anyone else has run into this in some sort of way and what they did to fix it OR how apple has decided to handle their problem.

Yes, I did try a few things--resetting the Pram and the PMU and some trick that apple told me about (creating a new user and seeing if the media will mount).....also downloaded software and firmware upgrades......none worked.....any thoughts???

Thanks!!!

ibook_steve
Apr 18, 2006, 06:52 PM

I know this may seem completely obvious, but I just mentioned this two posts down. If Apple didn't mention this to you and this fixes it, shame on them. What are your settings for inserting blank disks in the CDs & DVDs preference pane? Make sure they are not set to ignore.

Steve

-Martin  (op)
Apr 18, 2006, 11:58 PM

Yeah my settings were "ask what to do".......I am baffled!!

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2006, 07:26 PM

Did you try to boot with the install DVD, select disk utility from the menu and attempt to repair the disk and repair permissions? You might have a permission issue with the mount points in the /Volumes folder.

Did you happen to delete any folders?
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2006, 07:40 PM

Er, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but ... blank discs are never mounted, because there's no file system to mount.

After you burn something on the disc, you'll be able to mount it, but not before ...

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2006, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tomchu
Er, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but ... blank discs are never mounted, because there's no file system to mount.

After you burn something on the disc, you'll be able to mount it, but not before ...
That is true but there may still be permissions issue with where ever the temporary data would be stored. It is also possible that his burning profiles have become mangled.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

-Martin  (op)
Apr 19, 2006, 11:11 PM

Ok so I booted up with the install DVD and tried to repair the permissions, etc.....I also did the hardware test thing (dont' know if that would have helped anyhow). I restarted, put a blank CD-R in the drive, counted to 10, and out pops the CD, as if I didn't put it in there in the first place. This is really annoying, and I am going to call Apple again tomorrow and see if I can get it shipped back to them...............sigh.....................

Barefoot Matt
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2006, 12:11 PM

I know this is an annoying solution, but have you tried reinstalling the OS? It seems that if you're to the point where you're considering sending it back, that would be worth a try.

Btw, since you asked, I haven't experienced such a problem.
iPod nano 3G 16GB
MacBook Pro 1.83 / 100 GB 5400 RPM / 1.5 GB

-Martin  (op)
Apr 20, 2006, 06:33 PM

Yeah I think I am going to do that once I get a chance to RE-backup everything :-).......I'll let you guys know what happens.......this is hilarious to me because of the amount of dough I threw down on this investment. Oh well.......

-Martin  (op)
Apr 21, 2006, 03:21 PM

Ok

I reinstalled OS X and now NO CD's will work....DVDs work fine (even a DVD-R worked), but I can't install WoW or listen to a CD or anything. It doesn't matter if it's blank or not either. Oh well......

i called Apple again to complain and they said that I was eligible for a replacement computer. So next week, I will be getting a new one!!! woohoo!!! I'll post again and let everyone know if the new compy is screwball or not :-)

Have a nice day.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2006, 12:01 PM

tangovipe, any update to the story?

Forum Links
Forum Rules