Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes music store fraud

iTunes music store fraud (Page 2)
asmujica  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2005, 08:11 PM

Tried the directory access, didn`t work.

I don't have an antivirus installed, ITS A MAC

The firewall is turned off, tried it, turned it back on again.

This is really weird stuff....

Deal
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2005, 09:32 PM

Can you get this computer to a different internet connection?

I would try an alternate provider or service to see if it has something to do with their end.

Do you use a router of any kind? Have you tried bypassing the router?

Duane

asmujica  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2005, 04:16 AM

I've used it with multiple internet providers, in different, states, and different countries.

Tangaroa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2005, 11:23 AM

I am having almost the same problem... I just got a non-helpful response from Apple. A stock answer that leads me to believe no one carefully read my email. Oh yeah - in the Apple response they called me "Carmelo". My name is Chris! Here's the email I sent:

Hi - For the past 3 years I have been downloading occasionally off the iTunes music store under my former work email. I'm pretty sure. I had authorized 3 computers to play my iPod under this name.

I was laid off last month, so my work email is no longer available to me. I re-signed up under my personal, home email as well.

I decided to upgrade my home machine - a G4 powermac - with Tiger this week. Now that I am running iTunes 6 on it, it will recognize my iPod, and play my non-iTunes music store songs, but when I try & play my protected AAC files, it asks for my authorization password under the former work email. Every time I do this, it rejects the password. (We could not complete your Music Store request. An unknown error occurred (5002).) As a last resort - I logged in as the former account last night & tried to change the account info over to my current account, but it wouldn't let me. Now, I can't even log in under the former account!

What do I do to authorize this machine?

Thanks,
Chris

As I said, Apple was not helpful - just a bunch of info I had already found under Help, telling you how to de-authorize a machine.

I don't think this is fraud - but a bug either with iTunes 6, Tiger - or both in combination.

Anyone else having this issue?

jasong
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2005, 01:32 PM

asmujica, can you authorize someone else's account on your iBook?

Has anyone ever figured out how Apple manages authorizations? If it is a hardware setting, maybe something in your hardware is messed up and prevents the server from being able to get the necessary info.
-- Jason

asmujica  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2005, 07:46 PM

I fixed it!!!!!

The problem was with the subnet name which was stupidly long. All I had to do was shorten it and it worked. Go to system preferences, sharing and then click on edit and presto.

This should´ve been documented on the apple site somewhere.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 26, 2005, 09:20 PM

Congratulations!

I think that your particular problem was far enough out in left field that it went past everyone-and once a computer is set up, who looks at their subnet name anyway?

Anyway, you have everything working and that's the most important part. Right up there is that YOU FIXED IT YOURSELF! That's fabulous!

Congratulations again!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Tangaroa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2005, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by asmujica
I fixed it!!!!!

The problem was with the subnet name which was stupidly long. All I had to do was shorten it and it worked. Go to system preferences, sharing and then click on edit and presto.

This should´ve been documented on the apple site somewhere.
WOW!!!!!! Thank you so much! I don't know why that worked, but it did!!!! I can play my songs again!

Thanks a million!

Someone should alert Apple to this glitch & how to fix it....

asmujica  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2005, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Congratulations!

I think that your particular problem was far enough out in left field that it went past everyone-and once a computer is set up, who looks at their subnet name anyway?

Anyway, you have everything working and that's the most important part. Right up there is that YOU FIXED IT YOURSELF! That's fabulous!

Congratulations again!
Thanks. I think the problem starts when you register the computer, it downloads your apple id info and uses it to configure the computer, grabing my full name and making the subnet info ridiculously long.

asmujica  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2005, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tangaroa
WOW!!!!!! Thank you so much! I don't know why that worked, but it did!!!! I can play my songs again!

Thanks a million!

Someone should alert Apple to this glitch & how to fix it....
I posted the solution over at apple discusions also. I am glad it could solve your problem also since I know how frustrating it was not to be able to listen to your music.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2005, 01:08 AM

I am wondering if any of this problem is due to DRM?

The whole authorization thing might be showing it's ugly underbelly.

I feel bad for this gentleman. This is why I have not totally relied on the Music Store.

The huge advantage of the Store is the ability to buy just one song.

I like to buy CDs off Amazon (free shipping, cheap) for the stuff I know is going to be good and/or my favorite bands. I get the jewel case with cool art, better sound quality, the ability to IMPORT THAT CD at far better quality that the Store offers, etc. Of course I also get the advantage of not worrying whether or not my hard drive fails, losing the music, authorization problems.

Good luck on your issue with the Store. I would seriously call somebody at Customer care at Apple and be firm but polite and I think they might surprise you.

Also, try to email [email protected]

Steve DOES respond to an email every once in a while.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2005, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Macpilot
I am wondering if any of this problem is due to DRM?
If the songs weren't DRMed then this wouldn't have happened.

Then again, if there was no DRM there'd be no music store.

The bug that the OP experienced was a very strange one that reared its head due to the name he entered at install.

It shouldn't have happened but it proved difficult to diagnose because during every reinstall he completed he named the computer the same thing.

Blaming the DRM is fair enough, but every system has bugs, this is one of the few related to fairplay, hopefully Apple will sort it out soon.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 28, 2005, 08:55 AM

One handy thing about having a PC around is Musicmatch-it's Windows-only, but it also offers individual songs-and some full size albums they sell are way less than their stated "$10 per album" price.

Once I get a song (actually a bunch of songs), I burn it to an audio CD, then rip it as an MP3. Violá! No more DRM. It's a small hassle, but it's effective, there's not enough quality impact to be noticable, and I never have to worry about authorizations for the songs I've legally bought the right to listen to.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2005, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
One handy thing about having a PC around is Musicmatch-it's Windows-only, but it also offers individual songs-and some full size albums they sell are way less than their stated "$10 per album" price.

Once I get a song (actually a bunch of songs), I burn it to an audio CD, then rip it as an MP3. Violá! No more DRM. It's a small hassle, but it's effective, there's not enough quality impact to be noticable, and I never have to worry about authorizations for the songs I've legally bought the right to listen to.

Yup.. I used to do the same with iTunes, but I've grown too lazy lately. I really need to go back and do the same with all my legally bought songs from ITMS.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

Forum Links
Forum Rules