Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Back up discs

Back up discs
werps
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2005, 09:14 PM

Can I burn a cd or dvd of me whole 10.3.9 ? I have never backed up anything in my 11 yrs of mac and just had my first loss. Was not bad but time to do this! I have back up a few iphotos and files, but would not know where to begin with an OS back up. Thank God it was not my main computer. Can you make a disc that you just pop in and it loads everything os and all just like you had it? I have a few things on my idisc but would really like some discs.Tom
Nitch hunting only allowed till you die!

f1000
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2005, 10:18 PM

You can burn your User folder onto a CD or DVD. You may have to leave out your Music and/or Movies folder during the transfer, though, since those folders can often be much bigger than a single DVD.

werps  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2005, 11:17 PM

If I copy that (users) file, does that include the operating system too?

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2005, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by werps
If I copy that (users) file, does that include the operating system too?
No, that will only copy what is in your "home" folder.

If you want to have a full backup of your *entire* disk you will need either an external drive you can "cone" to or a backup utility that is able to span across several dvd or cd disks. (there are several that do this...but an external firewire drive is much faster and probably abetter way to go)
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

werps  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2005, 07:39 AM

OK, I have a Powerbook G4 Al 1.25 1 gig running 10.3.9 (may go to Tiger soon). I have also 2 ibooks g3 and 2 imac g3 all running 10.3.9. I would like to keep mine and at least one of the g3 backed up. Can you suggest again which way to go and what to get if you think a nother drive is the right move ? Thanks , Tom

werps  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2005, 10:40 PM

Looking for a bit more help? Maybe I should be moving this to a different forum now? I will if I get no more on this. Thanks , Tom

f1000
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2005, 11:07 PM

You can go the FireWire route or the Ethernet route. A FireWire drive is potentially faster, but an Ethernet drive (i.e. NAS) will give you more flexibility.

There are a lot of threads asking about this brand or that brand of external drive. You can buy an external drive that's ready-made, or you can buy a chassis and put a regular IDE hard drive into it. As for NAS, there are threads discussing those as well.

Do some searches on "FireWire chassis" and "FireWire drive" and "NAS" and see what others say about particular models.

werps  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2005, 08:03 PM

Well I got this right on our market place! http://www.ximeta.com/products/netwo...disk/index.php Hope this will do the trick. I went this way as it was ethernet No firewire though. Will this handle what I want to do?

f1000
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2005, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by werps
Well I got this right on our market place! http://www.ximeta.com/products/netwo...disk/index.php Hope this will do the trick. I went this way as it was ethernet No firewire though. Will this handle what I want to do?
That should work fine, but make sure you get a drive big enough to satisfy all of your storage needs. If not, you may want to add more drives. If you need more than 2 or 3 drives, a storage server is probably going to be more economical.

werps  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2005, 06:42 AM

What I got was a 120. I really don't think I will do much except the OS back-up. What does it take for an average OS back-up, in gigs? This is where I'm at with my powerbook, Macintosh HD: Capacity: 74.53 GB Available: 57.91 GB. Does that mean that I would use about 17 GB to back this system up? What is the procedure once I get this drive up and running to back up my OS and content?

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2005, 04:50 PM

I use superduper to clone my whole hard drive and do incremental backups, there is also carbon copy cloner. This way you can an exact bootable replica of your drive.
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

werps  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2005, 06:24 PM

I will try both of these! This looks like just what I want! Thanks, Tom

Forum Links
Forum Rules