Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Help with Safari problem

Help with Safari problem
werps
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2005, 12:49 PM

Safari links and pages not found etc. ,,,,,,10.3.9

Is it the same reason links to web pages don't work from emails?

Is this all due to the Microsoft thingy thingy crap changing formats or something?

Will this get fixed or will we put up with this for a long time?

Are these applications doomed and should I be looking for a different browser and mail app.?
Nitch hunting only allowed till you die!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2005, 12:59 PM

Can you rephrase your problem, so that people who are used to complete sentences are able to understand it?

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2005, 01:22 PM

What links are you talking about?

werps  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2005, 02:09 PM

Well, I do have a bit of trouble with that! So I will give it my best shot. I was hoping without going into much detail that someone would relate to this problem and could extend there findings to me. You may delete this if you wish but I will try once more.

I am running OS 10.3.9 and in Safari there are many links, images, and text that are either missing, messed up, don't work. I have searched for answers and have found some. Mostly pointing a finger at Microsoft for applying different formatting or something ( sorry I can't explain what "something" is without going back and learning more than what I wanted too!) Now as far as the Mail application goes links from within emails such as ebay notices, they don't always work. When I click on some of the links in those emails Safari starts up and gives a message that the page or server can't be found. So I was guessing it was the same problem within Safari but I was not sure. I sould have looked longer and harder for answers before I posted here. I may have labeled my problem ( Microsoft incompatibility things) to early and thought some of the members here were way ahead of me and as in some of the other forums they have been suggesting using some other browsers. Then I thought I would ask the pro's here if they thought this was something they may think would be around for awhile, and what they are doing. Well, as I retype this and these things go through my head maybe it's just a bug I have and not some war of platform thing. I noticed today that the versiontracker dot com site looks all mixed up, using Safari. Has anyone else seen problems with this? That's the best I've got and I see that next time I will try to be precise, to the point,and work harder on my grammer. Thanks, Tom

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2005, 02:39 PM

Do the broken links and missing images show up on most web pages, or only certain ones? If the problems only happen on certain pages, could you tell us exactly what pages those are?

For example, does this forum page have the problems you are describing?

werps  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2005, 08:37 PM

Did you check out versiontracker.com ? That site comes over with no images and it is in a column type form, on my Safari.

If you win an item from ebay you get an email that tells you. Most of the time the links that would direct you to that item don't work anymore. Safari starts and it says that it can't connect to server. I just looked to make sure and the page that tries to come up is, altfarm dot mediaplex dot com. Strange I guess. Some other pages that I've noticed are like Google searches. The column at the right where it gives you more basics. It also happens with some of the links from the left but more from the right.
( Last edited by werps; Dec 18, 2005 at 09:07 PM. )

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2005, 09:18 PM

Reset Safari (the command to do this is in the Safari application menu) and see if the problem persists.

werps  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2005, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Reset Safari (the command to do this is in the Safari application menu) and see if the problem persists.

Yes, I have done that and it does not do any good. I reset often and drag all the files out of my cache folder every so often too.

werps  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2005, 09:35 PM

I can also add that I have six macs and it is happening on all of them! They are g3's and a g4 and all running 10.3.9

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2005, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by werps
I can also add that I have six macs and it is happening on all of them! They are g3's and a g4 and all running 10.3.9
Then it's your internet connection. Use Camino for a while and see if you have the same problem with it:

http://www.caminobrowser.org/

werps  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2005, 10:02 PM

Same problem in Camino!

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2005, 10:06 PM

Definitely a problem with your internet connection. (Since it happens in multiple browsers on multiple Macs.)

werps  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2005, 10:08 PM

I will talk to my ISP . Thanks ,Tom

werps  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2005, 11:27 PM

Would you mind looking at this thread at Apple? http://discussions.apple.com/thread....69298&tstart=0

I had my own post on this Apple forum but had no reply. So when I saw this one tonight I tagged onto it. I was glad to find it as it shows that there are others having the same problem. Thanks, Tom

I should add that I am running 10.3.9 . I empty the cache file and it doesn't help me.
( Last edited by werps; Dec 18, 2005 at 11:37 PM. )

werps  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2005, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by werps
Would you mind looking at this thread at Apple? http://discussions.apple.com/thread....69298&tstart=0

I had my own post on this Apple forum but had no reply. So when I saw this one tonight I tagged onto it. I was glad to find it as it shows that there are others having the same problem. Thanks, Tom

I should add that I am running 10.3.9 . I empty the cache file and it doesn't help me.

Should one ask why the (versiontracker site comes up ) when talking about this problem?

werps  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2005, 10:14 AM

I thought I would put a few pictures on my homepage ( http://homepage.mac.com/werps ) of what I see in my browsers, so you could see it. The images with the altfarm stuff is what I get when I click a link from an ebay email notifying me of an item won. If I click on a link within that email it starts up Safari and what I get is that warning. The other image is what my versiontracker looks like. Sorry to lead you to this through Apple Discussions in the post above. I did not want anyone here, that may not return because the post gets older, to miss a look at this. Hoping it might help. Thanks , Tom

werps  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2005, 11:24 AM

If you are interested in this problem you might look at all the Safari threads poping up in Apple Discussions under Safari. They seem all to familiar whether or not you are using 10.4 or 10.3.9. A lot of answers but none that work so far for me and many others.

Forum Links
Forum Rules