Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > .aspx files

.aspx files
werps
Forum Regular
May 8, 2006, 03:31 PM

Anyone know how I can open a .aspx file on my mac running 10.3.9 ? Is there a free application out there that will open it? I have taken on a task for my company and the forms and files that I must download are .aspx files. Hope I don't have to get MicroSoft Office or anything! Otherwise I will have to do it all from the office. I should mention that is is strange how they download from Safari. One was a tiff and Safari warns that there is a "bad server response" after the download. The one I did get downloaded was that .aspx file and Abiword, adobe reader 7, text edit, Appleworks 6, would not open it. Thanks, Tom
Nitch hunting only allowed till you die!

Apfhex
Mac Elite
May 8, 2006, 04:55 PM

ASPX is a ".NET Active Server Page", um, I don't know much about .NET but I don't think the .aspx files are the ones you're supposed to be getting. What kinds of files were you expecting, PDF or TXT or something?
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

werps  (op)
Forum Regular
May 8, 2006, 05:29 PM

I talked to a fellow that tried to help me and he did not know much more than. I told him I was surprised they were not pdf and he siad they are tiff. He did not know why. I think they are able to put them in Exel and modify and reload them back in the program. I think I may need to take care of this in the office on the Windows machines but was hoping there was an easy answer. I wish I could convey things better but I don't understand it myself. He didn't think it would work on Apple and that I had to use IE. I tried IE and it did the same thing. Well I don't expect an answer I guess as I don't know my question. I sould have learned more before asking. I just thought that .aspx was a file I could get help to open. Looks like it is more. Thanks , Tom
Nitch hunting only allowed till you die!

shiff
Forum Regular
May 8, 2006, 06:18 PM

An aspx file is normally just a text file. It is the .Net version of the .asp file. You should be able to open it right up in a text editor or rename it .rtf or .txt.

I am opening some .aspx files right now that way.

ntsc
Senior User
May 9, 2006, 08:51 AM

it sounds like they have some problems with the web based stuff. I'm not sure what you would do to edit or even really use a tiff in Excel. Tiffs are image files and cannot be edited in excel as far as i know.

Safari and Firefox should both handle aspx pages fine, by the time they get to you they are just plain old html webpages -- nothing different from these forums for example.

Incidentally i would imagine that the "Bad server response" error you got was the remote end breaking on the something as well.
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2006, 10:25 AM

You shoudn't be opening .tiffs in Excel - an image processing/viewing app is what you're after for that. Preview will open them, for example.

The .aspx files will open fine in a text editor, but you'll be better off opening them in something that won't affect the formatting in the files. I think TextEdit is fine if you have it ignore formatting (Prefs somewhere).

The .aspx files won't display in the way they're intended to (i.e. on a web browser) unless you have them running on a web server that supports them and has all the required .dlls in place.

Hope that helps a bit - it's not all that clear what you're trying to do.

Forum Links
Forum Rules