Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New Apple TV Availability?

New Apple TV Availability?
SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2015, 11:52 AM

Are there any expectations as to when we may be able to purchase the new Apple TV?

-Allen

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2015, 01:54 PM

mindwaves
Oct 11, 2015, 12:22 AM

Definitely going to buy one, but not from Amazon (can't anyway).

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2015, 01:28 PM

Definitely in for one. I'm still on an Apple TV Gen 2 (jailbreakable).

Can't wait for apps like Plex. Hate having to organize my ripped movies with iTunes.

-t

Ham Sandwich
Oct 30, 2015, 08:30 AM

Questions about the new TV:

1. Can I use a wireless keyboard to enter my passwords for the different apps, instead of thumbing around the remote? Or my iPad? How do I do that?

2. How do I use TV to stream my pics/videos from my iPad?

3. Let's say that I forgot which channel "Family Feud" is on, or "Dancing with the Stars," or where to find "WALL-E." Can Siri show that to me?

4. How do I store my music and photos/videos on TV directly, so that I can play them off the TV? I don't want to have to use iCloud Photo Library because it takes a bajillion years to upload it all and I have to pay extra for that.
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Oct 30, 2015 at 08:48 AM. )

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Oct 30, 2015, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post

1. Can I use a wireless keyboard to enter my passwords for the different apps, instead of thumbing around the remote? Or my iPad? How do I do that?
Yes. On the iPad, through the remote app. On a Bluetooth keyboard, after syncing it with the Apple TV.

How do I use TV to stream my pics/videos from my iPad?
Airplay.

3. Let's say that I forgot which channel "Family Feud" is on, or "Dancing with the Stars," or where to find "WALL-E." Can Siri show that to me?
Probably after the TV service goes live, if it ever does. Not right now. Where to find Wall-E? Yes.

4. How do I store my music and photos/videos on TV directly, so that I can play them off the TV? I don't want to have to use iCloud Photo Library because it takes a bajillion years to upload it all and I have to pay extra for that.
You don't, not with Apple's software. There may be a third-party slideshow app that allows for local storage, though.
( Last edited by Mike Wuerthele; Oct 30, 2015 at 09:59 AM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2015, 09:40 AM

2. How do I use TV to stream my pics/videos from my iPad?

1. Wireless keyboard support via Bluetooth has been in AppleTV for years now. iPad, no, not as far as I know.

2. Via AirPlay from the device, same as for years now.

3. Yes, this was in the demo.

Ham Sandwich
Oct 30, 2015, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Wuerthele View Post
You don't, not with Apple's software. There may be a third-party slideshow app that allows for local storage, though.
Wait. Wait a minute. That's my biggest selling point. I have 3 devices worth of Apple's products. I definitely should be able to display my photos/videos on there. There's no way to do that without *possibly* using a third-party app?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2015, 10:47 AM

Wait. Wait a minute. That's my biggest selling point. I have 3 devices worth of Apple's products. I definitely should be able to display my photos/videos on there. There's no way to do that without *possibly* using a third-party app?
You can display them on there, but not STORE them on there.

SierraDragon  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2015, 01:51 PM

Last night I received notice that the ATV ordered on Oct 26th has shipped and is scheduled for Nov 2 delivery.

-Allen

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2015, 07:20 PM

I preordered online, but it hasn't shipped yet.

Well, walked into a Beat Buy today, picked one up, and was able to pay with Apple Pay, which currently has a 10% Discover cash back promotion.

Once my online ordered ATV shows up, it will be returned to the Apple Store.

-t

P
Nov 1, 2015, 09:08 AM

I think you can still share your display from a Mac, right? If so, do that and run the slideshow from there.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Ham Sandwich
Nov 1, 2015, 03:04 PM

What's the point? I can already do that with a long enough HDMI cable. I can get a 25 foot cable for cheaper and go back to lounging while showing whatever I want from my Mac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules