Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Oh where oh where is my 17" PB??

Oh where oh where is my 17" PB??
jsiburt
Jan 22, 2003, 11:14 AM

Well, it seems as if the wait list for the 17" PB has fallen behind. I ordered mine 1/7 at noon and it says shipping on or before 3/24.

Anyone else have any more info? I called Apple and was told to call again this week but I have more important things to do that than be on hold for 45+ minutes.''
( Last edited by jsiburt; Jan 22, 2003 at 11:42 AM. )

morlium
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2003, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by jsiburt:
Well, it seems as if the wait list for the 17" PB has fallen behind. I ordered mine 1/7 at noon and it says shipping on or before 3/24.

Anyone else have any more info? I called Apple and was told to call again this week but I have more important things to do that than be on hold for 45+ minutes.''
With these "on or before" ship dates, I think that Apple is just covering their a$$. The Web site says 7-10 weeks, so add 10 weeks to your ship date (excluding weekends, so actually 11 weeks), and there you have it - March 24. I wouldn't necessarily take it as gospel, that's just the latest it'll come.

When it ships, it ships. I'm of the opinion that Apple will want to get these things out as soon as possible.
Michael Simon, Executive Editor
Collar and Carapace Press

cwasko
Senior User
Jan 22, 2003, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by jsiburt:

When you ordered the 17", I'm sure that it said that the estimated shipping time was going to be 7-10 weeks. From the date you ordered, 7 weeks is the last week in Feb and 10 weeks is the week of 3/24. So, how is this different from what you were told?

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2003, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by cwasko:
When you ordered the 17", I'm sure that it said that the estimated shipping time was going to be 7-10 weeks. From the date you ordered, 7 weeks is the last week in Feb and 10 weeks is the week of 3/24. So, how is this different from what you were told?
You're waiting for your 17"! All of us 12" PB guys have already gone past steves "Two Week" mark and am all waiting impatiently... Forthe 17" Steve said Feb. So I wouldn't really worry until Feb actually comes and goes. What would be even worse if every store around the block had one and your OrderStatus still hasn't changed! Then I'd raise all

cwasko
Senior User
Jan 22, 2003, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by MikeD:
You're waiting for your 17"! All of us 12" PB guys have already gone past steves "Two Week" mark and am all waiting impatiently... Forthe 17" Steve said Feb. So I wouldn't really worry until Feb actually comes and goes. What would be even worse if every store around the block had one and your OrderStatus still hasn't changed! Then I'd raise all
Well, 2 weeks from the Keynote was yesterday. If you ordered on the day of the Keynote, then I'd think that if the status doesn't change by tomorrow or Friday, then u'd have something to bitch about.

But, you are indeed correct, if my status on Apple has not changed and all the damn retailers have one... Apple is gonna have some hell to pay.

S S
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2003, 08:37 PM

Lets get this thread back up to the top! I ordered a stock 17" on Saturday January 11th at like 9 am. I went to the Apple Store Somerset and thought I could get on a list to just pick one up at the store. No such luck. They refered me to an open iMac and I ordered it online. The site did recognize that I was at and Apple Store. The very enthusiastic salesmen thought maybe Apple Store (physical) oreders would come first. I am being told on or before 3/26. Now jump to yesterday... I go back to the store to check out the 12 inch and get an idea what the 17 will be like (aluminum finish etc...), and I see people buying 12 inch PowerBooks off the shelf!!!! Will this happen when the 17 ships? If I am quick enough can I go to the store and get one? Possibly. I wouldn't care if it was just a few days but If it is a difference of a month I care. So I guess I will keep my eye's peeled for 17s shipping and possibly pick one up at the Apple Store like I wanted in the fist place. I think they need to be clearer about this preorder thing since aparently "late birds" can get theirs quicker.

Forum Links
Forum Rules