Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > The REAL reason why you can't touch the 17" PowerBook at the Apple Store

The REAL reason why you can't touch the 17" PowerBook at the Apple Store
iohead
Feb 9, 2003, 03:40 PM

I happened to be at GAP in Valley Fair Mall (Silicon Valley) yesterday, and since the Apple Store is right next door, couldn't help waking into it and looking at the 17" PowerBook Dispay Unit again. I did touch it the last time in Palo Alto, but I wanted to lift it (when nobody's watching) and get an idea of the weight. Just as I was about to do something about it, two guys, an Apple Store employee and a customer, who had been talking animatedly for what seemed a long while, came near us, and the Apple guy told the other guy this:

"Oh I would love to have you touch it and play it with, but the problem is that this (the white lighted rotating cylinder on which it was kept) is a $10,000 piece of equipment here, and while our computers are insured - so you can drop them and we don't care - this thing is not covered by insurance. If something happens to the rotating thing, you are liable for $10,000".

The customer replied:

"I got that. I understand that totally."

Whatever!

-A

iDORK
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2003, 04:06 PM

$10,000 rotating stand?

Right..

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2003, 04:10 PM

Oh, so THAT'S why Apple's products are so overpriced! I was wondering where those huge profit margins were going.

S S
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2003, 04:37 PM

I'm glad they spend money where it counts. Do you think a Dell laptop would look good on a rotating display? The Apple Store lets Apple show their stuff on thier own terms and create an experience. The 12" at CompUSA is in so much bondage you can't begin to appreciate the finese of the design. I'm glad there are still companies that beleive in more then the bottom line and are makeing an effort to enrich the world we live in with beauty in design. These are our artifacts. In the industrial age we don't build pyramids or great walls. In the future I would much rather scientist unearth a PowerBook G4 then a Dell or Gateway, and marvel at our acompilishments in both technology and design.

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2003, 05:17 PM

Let's not get all worked up over what one Apple Store employee allegedly said.

Not to say that the story is a lie, but assuming it's true why would you implicitly trust some guy you don't know working at an Apple retail store?

The whole thing sounds stupid to me. There sure are lots of stupid things floating around Mac forums these days...
( Last edited by iChristopher; Feb 9, 2003 at 09:31 PM. )
TiBook 667 DVI - 20" Cinema Display - 20GB iPod

Tom Rudderham
Feb 9, 2003, 08:49 PM

Here in the UK we just have PCWorld and Dixons to buy our Macs.
Today I went to see if they had any Powerbooks in stock. All they had was a Powerbook 550mhz, and it was the display model! Geez!
Tom,
http://www.taranimationstudios.com/
1 Ghz TiBook (15")

Forum Links
Forum Rules