Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Goodbye Cruel World...

Goodbye Cruel World...
S S
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2003, 10:13 PM

Since Apple so nicely gave me time to really consider my pre-order of a PowerBook G4 17" I have come to my senses. I'm not in school anymore, do I really NEED a PowerBook? Is it really $1500 better then a 1GHz 17" iMac? In then end I said no. I told the Apple rep that if Apple had just shipped the thing in a timely fashion I wouldn't have had time to change my mind. So they still got my money but a lot less of it. I was going to buy and AP base station and everything. No need for that now.

Buying an Mac is a lot like a car for me. You see it and wanting it burns inside you. That fire went out and I made a more sensible decision. I waited a good while for my PowerBook G4 400. But when it was anouced there was nothing like it. The idea of a 15" wide screened, slot loaded drive, 1 inch thin titanium bodied notebook was crazy. It held my attention. Don't get me wrong. The PB 17 is amazing. I'm sure it will be great. I'd just rather get one when It's speed bumped and availible in less then three months.

The iMac is great. Almost as fast as the PB 17. The same screen. A 4x DVD-R that bus CD's at 16x and doesn't sound like a vibrating bed at a cheap hotel. A true work of art, just like the PB 17. It is tied to my desk but I still have my PB G4 400 if I really need to compute on the go. And with the money I saved I could afford a AP card and base station for the PowerBook and still have money left for a new office chair to make being in the office a little more comfortable.

To who ever gets the PB 17 that was destined to be in my hands; take good care of her. She was loved, if only for 7 weeks. Now I have a cheaper date that is a little more punctual.

p.s. Apple better stop giving people time to think about what they spent $3500 on.

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2003, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by S S:
p.s. Apple better stop giving people time to think about what they spent $3500 on.
See your point, but the long-term success of the product will not turn on whether or not they lose some impulse buys right after the product annoucement.
TiBook 667 DVI - 20" Cinema Display - 20GB iPod

tomb
Feb 28, 2003, 10:35 PM

More power to you.

I have been a loyal supporter of apple since the IIe, and have owned more than I can count, but I noticed that they have been getting considerably worse over the years in terms of the treatment off their customers. taunting us with stuff that they announce and then dont deliver on for MONTHS. Bad customer service, etc....we all know the routine....bend over. Well that didn't stop me from getting the 12albk, but if i din't have to i really wouldn't have. in fact the treatment i got in just ordering this thing was such a hassle, i really wanted to cancel my order. but i didn't, and apple knows i probably wouldn't. they have us over a barrel my addicts. pass the pipe.

I just wish they would treat us better.

-t

engage1000
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2003, 11:02 PM

I have never had nay problems with Apple service, sales or quality. Sure it takes time to ship out a product after an announcement, but that's the way every company is nowadays. The tech world has changed a lot since the early days of computing. You have to stay ahead of the game and announce... then release. I don't really see any problem with it. You either wait or you don't. Tough luck.
I learned the hard way that you can't use vB smilies in your sig. see --> :cry:

S S  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2003, 11:48 PM

Hey. I figured out how to get a free t-shirt.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2003, 03:46 AM

I pitty the person that had to give Steve Jobs the news about the delays. You can be sure that Apple wants those things out the door and your money on their books ASAP.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 1, 2003, 03:53 AM

Well put, "S S". I admire your decision. Also, kudos to your refrain from flaming. I expected the post to go as followed:

"F* you you crazy people for buying an f*ing $3000 P.O.S. laptop. Apple sucks, blah, blah, blah!"

That's just how the posts have been going recently. It shows maturity to speak highly of the 17-inch the way you did, and still make your point clear. Thanks.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

k2director
Senior User
Mar 1, 2003, 06:09 AM

I think Apple treats its customers very well.

I'm enjoying a lot of **very good** apps that Apple has given me for free, and that most companies don't offer (ie, iTunes, iDVD, iCal, iSync, etc)

When I've called tech support, I never wait long, and I've found that the reps I speak with are usually proactive in following through (ie, calling back when they've researched an issue).

I also just sent a Tibook into Apple to repair some flaking paint, and the machine was turned around in a single day.

So what if a couple of products, every once in a while, get delayed? That happens with a lot of technology products from a host of companies (God knows, I've been waiting for my Sony P800 cel phone long enough!). I know it's frustrating when you're waiting on an announced product, but I doubt it's a sign that Apple doesn't care about its customers....

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2003, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by k2director:

I'm enjoying a lot of **very good** apps that Apple has given me for free, and that most companies don't offer (ie, iTunes, iDVD, iCal, iSync, etc)
They weren't free. You and I paid for those application in Apple's cost premiums and hefty profit margins. Every (large) computer maker needs to bundle apps to get the user working and having fun right out of the box. Regardless of what people think of the competition and how much the other apps in other computers may suck compared to the iApps, they are still bundled. Apple also knows that their iApps are a must for the Mac platform and even more so for the potential switchers.

Anyway, we really can't rate large computer maker's support and services practices as each person will have different stories to tell. I may have horrible experiences with AppleCare where the next guy will have great experiences. It's all relative and depends on who you happen to get on the phone and who happens to receive your machine when sending it in for service. For example, I own 3 Dell computers and 2 Apple computers. I've had MUCH better service and support from Dell than I did from Apple. I've also had many more problems with Apple's hardware (function) that I've had with Dell. So since there are so many people with complete opposite scenarios than me, I can't generalize one way or the other (and neither should anyone else).

tgrundke
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2003, 12:21 PM

The 17" looks to be a great product. I'm terribly excited about it. However, Apple goosed the pooch on this introduction. I am also one of those who cancelled his order because I too woke up one day about a week ago and realized, "I'm spending $3200 on a computer that I really don't need." And that was the end of it.

Apple's now caught in a double-bind because NUMEROUS people (myself included) are counting on the 15" PowerBooks to be updated before they upgrade. And I think many people who would have been swayed to spend the extra dinero on the 17" are just going to hold out until the 15" models are updated.

This is a frustrating event because Apple has a terribly track record which I *thought* they had corrected when it comes to product introductions. Apple is slowly but surely burning through its stock of goodwill.
Travis L. Grundke
Sapere Aude

tgrundke
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2003, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by k2director:

So what if a couple of products, every once in a while, get delayed? That happens with a lot of technology products from a host of companies (God knows, I've been waiting for my Sony P800 cel phone long enough!).
K2:

Good points. All in all, Apple does treat its customers well. There is a great problem, however, with delays in the personal computer market. Specifically when it comes to Apple. For example, Apple relies far more than any other brand on "emotional buys". Just look at the comments around here - most of them point out, first and foremost aesthetics and design (relatively emotional) versus functional (fast, great feature set). I'm not making a value judgement, just an observation. When your product line depends on emotional buys, you really must have product available to get those "early adopters" roped in ASAP.

The personal computer market is particularly dangerous because it has become commoditized and fewer and fewer people *must* have the latest and greatest computer. All of this is demonstrated through Apple's quarterly results for product segments. If you follow the trends, the first 1-2 quarters of a new product launch (G4 PowerBook, QuickSilver PowerMacs, iMac LCD, etc.) are very strong - but far more than for other manufactureres, the sales slump off very quickly.

This has been the trend with the PowerBooks in particular. That's why we've seen more frequent PowerBook refreshes because they are defined by very picky consumers who are generally willing to hold out for a big update before upgrading.

This also follows a general business/market corollary that the more someone spends on a product, the less frequently they will upgrade/update to the next purchase. Apple charges a premium for their products, as a result the consmer mindset is "it better last me a LONG time." When viewed in light of the competition getting less and less expensive, it makes the market ferocious.

Macs are like the "durable goods" of the computer industry. Durable goods are defined as products designed to last 5 years or longer (washers, dryers, dish washers, cars, refrigerators). How often do you 'upgrade' your fridge or washer? Sure the new ones are more efficient and work better, but most of us wait until the one we have dies before getting a new one. Macs are the same way but in a commodity market. Most of us here will wait until our Mac up and dies before going out to buy a new one unless we need the raw speed.

Apple NEEDS to have product on hand at launches to take advantage of the emotional demand to help bolster the bottom line. I for one will be happy to see the company move away from reliance on MacWorld Expos for product launches - it only leads to problems like we are experiencing now.
Travis L. Grundke
Sapere Aude

tritonus
Senior User
Mar 1, 2003, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by tgrundke:
K2:

Good points. All in all, Apple does treat its customers well. There is a great problem, however, with delays in the personal computer market. Specifically when it comes to Apple. For example, Apple relies far more than any other brand on "emotional buys". Just look at the comments around here - most of them point out, first and foremost aesthetics and design (relatively emotional) versus functional (fast, great feature set). I'm not making a value judgement, just an observation. When your product line depends on emotional buys, you really must have product available to get those "early adopters" roped in ASAP.
You are so right. Well written.

art_director
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2003, 02:14 PM

are you on crack? when jobs announced the 17" powerbook he immediately said they would ship in march. well guess what, it's march 1st today. okay, so you couldn't walk down to your local apple store and buy the unit the day it was announced. too fookin' bad. be impatient, get your imac and then envy those who have the ti 17". cryin' bastard.

art_director
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2003, 02:16 PM

one more thing...

in the future i suggest you do some homework before making high price purchases. perhaps you could spend the time reserved for bitching doing research.

tgrundke
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2003, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by art_director:
are you on crack? when jobs announced the 17" powerbook he immediately said they would ship in march. well guess what, it's march 1st today. okay, so you couldn't walk down to your local apple store and buy the unit the day it was announced. too fookin' bad. be impatient, get your imac and then envy those who have the ti 17". cryin' bastard.
Chill with the hostility. He said the PowerBooks would ship in February, fine. Rest assured the announcement would *not* have been made had it not been for the fact that Apple feels it must make a big splash during MacWorld Expos.

Apple is made or broken by the 'coolness' of its products. They are more emotional buys. When you have a *** $3200 *** laptop, you best make sure they're on hands for those buyers to snap them up before they have a chance to reconsider. EVERYONE thought the 17" model was the coolest thing around, but you'll note that the initial enthusiasm has dulled and turned to more comments such as "Yeah, it's sweet - but $3200? I'll wait for the 15" models to be updated."
Travis L. Grundke
Sapere Aude

tritonus
Senior User
Mar 1, 2003, 02:58 PM

yes, on crack...

http://stream.apple.akadns.net/

At 1:42 he says "we'll ship this in February -- next month". Did just ONE ship in February?

I AM patient. As long as I get it in March I'm okay.

What's YOUR problem?

tritonus
Senior User
Mar 1, 2003, 03:00 PM

one more thing...

in the future i suggest you do some homework before making high price purchases. perhaps you could spend the time reserved for bitching doing research.
I'm happy with my purchase. Don't tell me what to do with my time or money.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2003, 03:17 PM

Wow! A rational consumer makes an informed decision and is set upon immediately! Living outside the RDF is a dangerous thing, I guess. Me, I'm staying well inside the RDF Kill Zone. I'm getting that 17" monster whether I need it or not But kudos to you for making a decision based on your own needs and wants. Now, if you had said, "...so I bought a Dell pc...."

art_director
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2003, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by tritonus:
I'm happy with my purchase. Don't tell me what to do with my time or money.
tired of reading posts by people who whine.

they said the ti 17 would ship in march. period.

perhaps i was harsh but why complain?

tgrundke
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2003, 04:25 PM

tired of reading posts by people who whine.

perhaps i was harsh but why complain?
1) If you're tired of reading the posts, then don't.
2) He was complaining, but within the context of a good argument that has been well discussed here until you decided to input your worthless $.02 worth of drivel into an otherwise intelligent topic.
Travis L. Grundke
Sapere Aude

S S  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2003, 08:28 PM

Thanks guys for sticking up for me. But now it's my turn.

So okay "art_director". The post wasn't ment to cause any hostility. Just to point out that what tgrundke said so well. Our economy lives on emotional buys. Do you think people that buy cars every two years really need a new car. Don't the cloths you bought 5 years ago still fit. I'm a designer and the main reason I stick with Apple is because I respect them for their taste and attention to detail. I mean come on, when it comes down to it a PC will kick any mac in ass for half the price. But Apple has captured something intangible that goes way beyond processing power and that is why we stay. I love all Apple's designs and I don't feel like there should be rivalry between PowerBook owners and Desktop owners. Oh wait, I've gotten far to nice...

I knew exactly what I was buying. I didn't need to do any "research" In October I decided to buy a 17 inch iMac when they hit 1 GHz. I wanted a bigger screen then my Tibook. So then Apple goes and releases this stunning 17" PowerBook 1Ghz. Then I was in a delema. I went to the Apple store the weekend after MWSF. I saw the little iMac sitting there and this big beutiful poster for the 17" PB. I stoped thinking with the brain in my head and preordered the PowerBook. The guy in the store said they might even have some in two weeks and that Jobs had said it would ship in February at the latest. But you know, to give you credit February does sound a lot like March. Those two words always have confusd me. What was I thinking. Either way Apple gave one (and who knows how many others) customer too much time to cool down.

I hope when you get your huge PowerBook you take it all over the place and do really amazing things. People will just be so impressed with the size of your PowerBook. I mean, I'm going to feel really stupid then, aren't I. I could have afforded two freaking PowerBook 17s. I've owned every major PowerBook since the 520. I've sold a lot of my friends on Macs. I love Apple so don't insult me. And I wasn't whining. I went out of my way to make my post whine free. It was ment as mildly humours good bye to the PoweBook world that I have loved so much.

You are the reason people say they hate "Mac People". Yes your PowerBook will be great. Every Mac is great. I think I'll save money for a really tight ride. They get dates better then computers do anyway.

(this post would have been a lot better with all the explitives I wanted to insert)
( Last edited by S S; Mar 1, 2003 at 08:33 PM. )

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 1, 2003, 08:34 PM

"But you know, to give you credit February does sound a lot like March. Those two words always have confusd me. What was I thinking."

... hahahahah!

I htought you did a great job not whining. That was my point for replying. In my thread I tried to calm the whining and finger pointing down by trying to settle things, but it turned into an all out war over there. Oh well, I guess I'm done being the U.N. in this debate... no I'm Switzerland. I think I'll go off into my mountains with my 17-inch (when it gets here) and eat chocolate... and watch the battles rise again on who's Powerbook is better and why this sucks and that doesn't...

... as a good friend of mine said "whateversville".
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2003, 12:40 PM

I so shouldn't post here...

I was in the same boat as you S S. I didn't need a powerbook but I wanted one. I love being able to sit by my pool, check my e-mail, work on some final cut pro documents, write an important letter and print it out to my laser printer in my study while enjoying a cool breeze outside. I'm not trying to change your decision, in fact it is probably a good one, but there are some people out there who will always want a powerbook, regardless of how much they need it
Am I still here?

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2003, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by S S:
I'd just rather get one when It's speed bumped and availible in less then three months.

It's statements like this that make me think some people in the Mac community have closed head injuries. For real.

You're rationalizing. There is NO offical roadmap published for Apple's hardware releases, and even is a bump is announced, when does it actually ship?

Bottom line: I'll bet here and now there will be no laptop speed bumps whatsoever for at least 6 months. If you're holding out for that, you're dreaming.

Forum Links
Forum Rules