Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Mailorder 17" Delivery Delayed AGAIN

Mailorder 17" Delivery Delayed AGAIN
swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2003, 10:22 PM

Hi guys,

I have had an order for a 17" PowerBook since February 6 with MacMall, who originally had the delivery date of mid-February, pushed it back to February 28, pushed it back to March 7, and then moved it to March 14.

Well, it looks like I'm in for an even longer wait. Their 'revised' shipping estimate is March 31. I called all of the other major players (MacWarehouse, ClubMac, MacZone, MacConnection, CDW, etc), and they said that they all had just received notice that it was pushed back even farther. All of them predicted shipping sometime in the last week of March.

It's not like I just ordered today. I ordered over a month ago. Has anyone else received a report like this? With stories of Apple Stores having them in stock next week, I'm becoming downright angry. So far, it's a major annoyance, but I pushed it aside with thoughts like 'this is just a normal delay' or 'it's not their fault'. But with the thought of having to wait THREE weeks after people already have them, I'm starting to get pretty angry.

What are your sales reps saying?

Scott

infobhan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2003, 10:25 PM

Before you get upset, why don't you wait to see if anyone actually gets them next week. Apple's own supply may also be delayed.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2003, 10:29 PM

It will come when it comes. Have fun waiting.

Apple's notorious for not being able to meet initial demand for PowerBooks. The first Titanium PowerBook G4's announced in January of 2001 did not ship in quantity until March.

swsteckly  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2003, 10:34 PM

I remember that fiasco, too. But, I've already waited longer for this unit than I did for that one.

Sorry if I made it sound like I was mad because people would get them before me. I am just angry, period.

jojomana
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2003, 11:01 PM

Quit your crying some of us ordered in Jan and we are still waiting. I will be pissed if you get yours before mine.

swsteckly  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2003, 11:05 PM

In what part of my post am I 'crying'?
Moron.....

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2003, 12:44 AM

A rep at my local Apple store told me that production is being delayed because of "technical issues" with the machine. Whether he should have said that out loud is debatable, but the fact remains: I sure as hell am glad you folks are testing out the first rev of the 17" for the rest of us. Given the delays and rumored problems, I fear that we will have to brace ourselves for the inevitable flood of problem threads regarding the 17" when it finally gets to customers.

swsteckly  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2003, 12:49 AM

I have heard of two problems from the many people I have talked to at various retailers.

The most common story is a shortage of LCDs. I have heard this from five people.

I have heard that the problem is 'incorrect' RAM being installed, prompting a 'small recall' to remedy the issue. Three people comfirm this.

todrain
Senior User
Mar 10, 2003, 01:05 AM

I dunno about the LCD shortage... there are plenty of 17" iMacs out there.

swsteckly  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2003, 01:07 AM

The LCD
Special Backlight
Enclousure
Wiring
Hinge System

Any one of these could have a shortage and fall under the term of 'LCD'.

morlium
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2003, 01:20 AM

you guys have to stop torturing yourselves ...

i'm in the same boat, but how many conflicting and erroneous reports have we received from resellers?

it's not worth the day-to-day roller coaster of talking to these fu*kers.

i'm sick of iy all, and personally, i resign ... when it comes, it comes.
Michael Simon, Executive Editor
Collar and Carapace Press

urrl5201
Mar 10, 2003, 08:25 AM

Yeah, when it comes it comes.
The 15" Ti is looking better to me every day.
hmmm....but maybe that's the real cause....the Ti stock is still not depleted as they expected. Hence the planted rumors of other defects...by Apple.

xMetal
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2003, 10:29 AM

I ordered a TiBook the day after they were originally announced and waited 55 days for it.

Apple is really good at making people wait, but in the end we all do, because they make damn fine computers. Not much we can do about it unfortunately.

<ordered 17" on 1-14-03>

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2003, 10:33 AM

well, as they say.. The longuer you wait, the better it will be... Yeah I know it's not funny. I guess it would drive me nuts as well...
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Hollywood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2003, 07:04 PM

Yes, good news again.

The 17" is still not rolled out, so I've still plenty of time to finish my administration and at the same time I'll keep dreaming. Oh men, it will be a miracle if my dream becomes true.

Don't cry, we all seem to be little children, waiting for our birthday present.

Don't believe you will get it on time.
See and believe, when you get it.

Don't believe what you see.
See it and Believe it.

Richard Hollywood
Hollywood Special After Effects
www.hollywoodsae.com

crazyEric
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2003, 07:13 PM

Since when has any order been delayed? You are quoting sales reps that WORK OFF OF COMMISSION AND DO NOT WANT TO LOSE A SALE. So they will lie to you in order to keep your order with them. Retail computer sales is just as bad as the used car market.

I ordered from the Apple Store the day that they were introduced (1/7/03) and was given a shipping date of 3/20/03. My web browser does not work off commission so I have no reason to believe that it is lying to me.

If 3/20/03 comes and goes without me getting at the very least a tracking number, then we all can say that the 17PB has been delayed.

Quit yer bitchin and get in line with the rest of us waiting for this damn thing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules