Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac - new 1GHz eMac ... I'm confused...

iMac - new 1GHz eMac ... I'm confused...
HJK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2003, 11:20 AM

Just when I decided to get the iMac (1GHz + Superdrive), I was told @ the 'Apple Store', there is the new eMac (1GHz, Superdrive) for $500 less. I am aware there must be differences, but are they worth the $500?
I am not too crazy about the look of either one.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2003, 11:33 AM

The eMac has 32MB video memory, vs. 64Mb for the iMac. The eMac uses PC133 RAM, vs. DDR2100 for the iMac. The LCD screen on the iMac is easier on the eyes. If you were going to buy the iMac originally, I'd stick with that.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2003, 12:21 PM

one has an i in the name

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2003, 01:39 AM

I have a 1GHz iMac and have played with a new eMac at the store.

The eMac is noisy compared to the iMac. It is very big, but nevertheless felt cheap to me. The screen wasn't mounted straight in the case, etc. It's screen is big compared to the old G3 iMacs, but nothing compared to the sharp and bright TFT of an iMac.

I'd get the iMac especially since it was your original choice and you can afford it.

The only people I'd advise to get an eMac are those who simply can't afford an iMac whatsoever.
( Last edited by Simon; May 14, 2003 at 07:22 AM. )

YorkshireSammy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2003, 05:59 AM

I have also been weighing up the idea of iMac vs. eMac. I could get a G41ghz eMac, with 512mb sdram, combo drive & tilt&swivel stand for AUD$2321. Or, a 15" G4800mhz iMac, with 256mb sdram & combo drive for AUD$2695. Whilst an LCD screen would be nice, I'm not sure that paying AUD$374 more for the novelty is worth it, especially when the eMac is 200mhz faster.

Has anyone else come to a similar conclusion? Any comments much appreciated!

slider
Mac Elite
May 14, 2003, 07:21 AM

Sure I'll chime in. Computer of choice would be the iMac. Perhaps like the pervious poster if I was considering the 15" iMac it might be a different choice, I mean the only real difference is the screen and overall size. But, going to the 1Ghz and the 17" flat, that is a different story, I'd definately go iMac if I could afford it, for all the reasons above. One thing that you might want to consider is holding off til the Apple event in July (whatever they are calling it now MWNY), with the eMac being a real alturnative, I think Apple might just bump up the specs on the iMac. For those that say it's too soon since the last revision, Apple doesn't always follow a pattern, look at the Clamshell iBook to the dual USB iBooks, what was that, 6 months.

Big Fat Octopus
May 14, 2003, 07:24 AM

The eMac is a nice machine but if you can afford to cough up the extra dough I'd recommend the iMac, it is very cool.

Yes, similar performance but totally different user experience. I have used both and prefer the iMac without question. The screen is a delight and the machine is very quite as well.

I will however be upgrading the RAM in my iMac with an extra 512MB ASAP. 256MB is fine but 768 is waaaay better.

The only reason NOT to get the iMac is affordability, IMHO :-)
- 24" iMac 2.4Ghz 4GB 500GB
- PMG4 450Mhz 384Mb OSXserver.
- iPhone 3GS

Paul Stephen C.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2003, 07:30 PM

Just be careful that you are comparing the two fairly.

Many of us waited for the iMac updates a month or two back, and I for one was not disappointed; but to make the most of the update you have to buy the 17' widescreen. It has the superb flatscreen that will impress you every time you sit in front of it. It takes up so little space on your desk.

iMac v. eMac? The iMac has audio in, so you can digitize all your favourite vinyl and audio tapes. It's got DDR Ram which we were waiting for. Better video memory. Better for gaming.

I too was thinking of an eMac, but to me it was always a compromise on an available cash basis, not value for money. I got the cash, so got the best, IMHO. 17" iMac with max Apple RAM (buying cheap RAM is a false economy - I've read too many threads reporting problems with cheap RAM).

If you're comparing the cheaper 15" iMac with the best eMac, well, I'd say that was perhaps different - I haven't any experience with the 15" iMac. It's the 17" that is the real deal!

Finally, I always had the impression that the eMac was an afterthought in terms of the home market. It didn't really fit anywhere but education, until the CRT iMac was terminated, and it suits the school market fine. But for home? I'm not sure.

If you are into photography, it has to be G4 FP iMac - the display is stunning.

Take Apple Care, though; just in case of pixel failure 2 years down the line.

Paul
"The best lack all conviction,
while the worst are filled with a
passionate intensity" (Lou
Reed's version of a Yeats quote)

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2003, 01:31 AM

Originally posted by Paul Stephen C.:
iMac v. eMac? The iMac has audio in, so you can digitize all your favourite vinyl and audio tapes.
True, but the new eMac has an audio-in as well.

You can check on this Apple eMac spec page where it says "ports".

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2003, 10:04 PM

I bought a g4 15" imac at around the same time the original emac was launched.

I dont regret my purchase for a second. If you are on a budget, the emac is obviously a better buy as you get very similar performance and features for less money.

With the imac, you pay for the sexy form factor and lcd screen. That moveable screen is awesome and i take full advantage of it. A friend of mine has a pc with a 17" lcd, but we both agree mine is cooler as his is just stationary whereas you can really move mine around.

Either would be a good move. Computers, like cars, lose financial worth the day you take them home, so its never a good idea to overextend yourself when buying either.

If I was buying a computer tomorrow Id probably get an ibook or powerbook, but thats only because I already have an imac
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

Forum Links
Forum Rules