Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Baffling printing problem using Windows network and Imac

Baffling printing problem using Windows network and Imac
kessellc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2003, 03:39 PM

Hi all,

I am a very recent owner of an Imac G4 running OSX 10.02 and have connected it to a home network which consists of three PC running Windows XP, two of which have printers attached. The primary printer is a Brother DCP1200 multifunction device and uses an USB connection. The other printer is a Canon BJC6000 colour injet connected via a parallel cable.

For the life of me I can't get the Imac to print correctly to either of the printers.

I was told that XP does not support Appletalk so I set up a small PC with Server 2000 and the Canon printer. The Imac sees the Canon using apple talk but when prints I get a message printed to the paper saying: Error undefined offending command. etc.

I have tried printing via DAVE and it can see both of the printers on the two machines but there are no compatible printer drivers in the list of drivers provided.

I have downloaded and installed ESP Ghostscript and Gimp print, still no luck.

I have downloaded and installed both the Brother drivers and the Canon drivers but these are drivers meant to be used with a direct connected printer. (The Canon would have to be connected through a USB to parallel adapter).

I have tried using a Samba connection using the following location: smb://FAMILY/CHRISK/BrotherM. (FAMILY is my workgroup and CHRISK is the name of the computer) I don't have a password protected log-in.

I would very much like to get the Brother to work so would appreciate any help that any of you may offer.

I really like the Imac but the lack of a working printer is hurting my transition.

Best regards,

Chris

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 10, 2003, 09:38 AM

Your problem is that you're trying to print using AppleTalk. PCs don't understand it, so they get confused and their printers won't print for you. Try using IP printing. On the PCs share the printer, then look for the printers in Finder. If you can see them, you'll be able to print to them-using IP printing, not AppleTalk.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules