Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Replacing eMac's CD drive with Superdrive

Replacing eMac's CD drive with Superdrive
Obi Wan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2003, 06:35 PM

I'm interested in adding a Superdrive to my eMac, as I found out the hard way that Apple's DVD Player software doesn't work with external DVD-RW drives. (See my other question about an external DVD drive for more on this if you're interested.) So I called my local Apple Store and they say they can't do the replacement, but referred me to this company who can do the work for me. I get them on the phone and they tell me that they can do the replacement, but they can't get Superdrives that will work with an eMac through their vendor. So what I'll have to do is get one from Apple, and then they can do the replacement for me. Apple's price tag for a Superdrive? $580!!! Plus the installation and shipping!

I was under the impression that a drive's a drive, and my DVD-RW drive from my external Firewire unit might be able to be popped into my eMac, but maybe that's not the case. Are these folks trying to take me for a ride or is there actually a difference in drives that fit into and work with Power Macs and eMacs? I know this sounds like a stupid question, but this is the first I've heard of this, and just wanted to check and see if anyone else has heard anything like this. If this is true, does any company besides Apple make DVD drives that will fit into an eMac?

Any help will be GREATLY appeciated! Thanks in advance.

Javahead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2003, 11:05 PM

any standard DVD-R drive will fit in the eMac's optical drive bay.

I'm pretty sure the current "SuperDrive" that Apple uses is actually the Pioneer A-05/105 which you can pick up for around $200.

Here are some pretty good instructions on how to replace the eMac optical drive.

Obi Wan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2003, 07:52 AM

Wow! Thanks so much Javahead! I thought that would work, but I figured I'd ask. I wonder why they told me I'd have to buy a special one from Apple. Bizarre.

Thanks again!

Obi Wan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2003, 04:25 PM

I'm still a little concerned with doing this replacement myself, considering that I tried to add some RAM into my machine a while back, and stripped the crappy screw that held the panel on, and I really don't want to go through that again.

However, folks at local repair shops are telling me that I need to buy a special drive that will work with the door on the front of the eMac. Is this a real concern? Can I just not have a panel on the front of it? What's the story on this?

Javahead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2003, 09:37 PM

no special drive is needed. simply remove the bezel from the front of the DVD drive tray and you're good to go.

Obi Wan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2003, 10:51 AM

Thanks Javahead! Looks like I've got me some repair work to do!

Forum Links
Forum Rules