Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How to install panther? questions...

How to install panther? questions...
kelesh
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2003, 12:55 AM

I'll be getting the 3cd black panther that comes in the student ADC mailings. Do I have to do anything before I install it?

I have a few prefpanes installed(synergy, ape, menumeters, tinkertool, windowshade X), and I have installed a brushed metal theme with themechanger. Do I have to remove these things before I install panther, or can I leave them?

I am correct in my assumption that panther is an upgrade, right? I won't have to format to install it. Are there any precautions I should take when installing panther?

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2003, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by kelesh:
Are there any precautions I should take?
perhaps a flame-proof suit to protect yourself from irate forum members that have seen far too many new "...blah blah blah how to install panther blah blah blah....." threads.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2003, 05:51 AM

i SEARCHED and couldn't find much about prefpanes or themes and upgrading to panther. its an easy question for somebody that's done it, so I'm just hoping some nice users can tell me what I should do so i can avoid some possible troubles.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2003, 06:02 AM

backup your home folder and any applications you don't want to re-install. other than that, insert the CD and click the buttons.

-r.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2003, 12:01 PM

I did a total backup, format, and clean install of Panther. Did you get the Full Panther CDs, or just the Upgrade CDs ($20).

If I were you, I would not mess around with the archive or upgrade options. Do a total format and clean install of Panther if you can backup ALL your stuff to an external drive first.

It seems the people having all the troubles are those that chose to upgrade.

Also, I would stop using all those 3rd party hacks and gizmos. They will probably not work well with Panther. I was using Synergy with Jag and it was cool. I think I can live without it to have a very stable OS.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2003, 12:13 PM

It seems the people having all the troubles are those that chose to upgrade.
This isn't really true at all. The problems seem to be "equal opportunity" across all installation methods.

BTW, Synergy 1.0a is supposed to work with Panther!
( Last edited by Kenstee; Oct 31, 2003 at 02:16 PM. )

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by Kenstee:
This isn't really true at all. The problems seem to be "equal opportunity" across all installation methods.

BTW, Synergy 1.0a is supposed to work with Panther!

Hmmm......I must be lucky.

I shall try out the new Synegy. Thank for the info.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

MickS
Senior User
Nov 3, 2003, 09:58 AM

Just to add a success story. I've currently upgraded three copies of Jaguar to Panther and done one clean install. One machine left for me to do, but I'm waiting to find out whether the scanner drivers are compatible before doing that.

I didn't take any real precautions before doing the install, just installed on the least important machine first. That said all of the systems had the latest Jaguar patches on and have been running with Journalled filesystems since it was possible to do so. All have disks with single partitions on them too.

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2003, 12:15 PM

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2003, 09:04 PM

i didn't update windowshade x or tinkertool or ape. i just did a mindless upgrade install and it seems to have worked, less a few programs that I have to update... shrug

if i run into problems i guess i'll just format/install.

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2003, 11:56 PM

actually, i am seeing alot of beachballs, finder hanging, etc. i think i'm just going to format/install.

Forum Links
Forum Rules