Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Font smoothing in OSX???

Font smoothing in OSX???
tpicco
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2004, 03:11 PM

Help me fellow designers... I just bought a new iMac G4... and I can't get any of my Adobe postscript fonts to either look smooth on the screen or print smoothly either... the ones that came with the Mac work fine... but that's pretty damn limited for a graphic designer

What am I doing wrong?
What am I not doing?

The type adjusting thing in System Prefs doesn't work...
The ATM I dragged over from my System 9 doesn't seem to work...

I'm using OSX 10.2.7

JacobyO
Feb 23, 2004, 10:26 AM

Upgrade to Panther and install Suitacse 11.0.2. Suitcase might work ok on Jaguar but there are too many nice additions in Panther to not use it.

ATM is not needed in OSX. My best advice is also to avoid having to do anything in Classic. Especially if it means you have to run font software in both OS's. I was plagued with font issues until I started using only OSX. Now I don't even have classic on my Mac.

tpicco  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2004, 11:34 AM

JacobyO
Did you upgrade to Quark 6, or did you go to InDesign???

JacobyO
Feb 23, 2004, 11:40 AM

I have both. I am forced to use Quark 6 because of the publishing industry not wanting to upgrade anything. They won't accept indesign files. Some will take PDF's but it's rare.

If you can avoid using Quark I would do so. Quark 6 is a huge pain in the ass because of the Customer Service issue. The program still works as well as it ever has, but the whole reinstall process makes me want to kill someone.

I am still more comfortable in Quark since that is the only layout program I have used for 10yrs. Until now there wasn't anything else that could do the job as well.

Corys
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2004, 02:08 PM

you can download ATM light from Adobe for free..

this would only work for classic apps (didn't indicate what you were printing out of)
www.prepressforums.com
News & Information for the Prepress Industry

tpicco  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2004, 02:23 AM

you can download ATM light from Adobe for free..

this would only work for classic apps (didn't indicate what you were printing out of)
------------------------
well the type from the non "there-when-I-bought-it" fonts is bitmappy whether I'm using Quark in Classic or Word in OSX... so it seems to look like crap in either system...

JacobyO
Feb 24, 2004, 10:08 AM

are these fonts truetype or type 1? If they are type 1 fonts then you need to include both the screen font and the postscript font. True type fonts only contain one file.

ATM is the software you need on OS9 to make the screen font match up to the postscript font. On OSX you don't need ATM anymore but both parts of the font are still needed. Suitcase will take care of the problem for you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules