Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Dazzle Dilemma

Dazzle Dilemma
americanuck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2003, 08:07 PM

My Dazzle Hollywood Bridge is connected to an Allegro DVD/VHS player that reads every format. When I first got the Allegro, the Bridge worked fine on both the DVD side and the VHS side and I could view and clip anything on iMovie. I haven't changed any settings (other than OS upgrades, including Panther), or wiring and now both the DVD and VHS has extreme static with large black patches and the audio is nothing but screeching. I can barely make out the images. I've checked and double checked the wiring, rebooted several times, tried an S-Video cable and it's the same thing.

I've plugged a TV into the DVD/VHS player and it worked fine. Replaced the Firewire cable, and replaced the Audio/Video cable from the player to the Bridge.

Has anyone using the Hollywood Bridge had similiar problems? Does it sound like something fried insid the Bridge?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2003, 11:24 PM

not all that similar but one day I noticed that my left audio channel was coming in a very low volume. I guess you get what you pay for (it's the cheapest firewire bridge I found; I guess the components go bad after a while). I normalized the audio channels separately for a while in software, but that gave me a low hiss from the noise being normalized as well. Then I upgraded to the (cheaper) Televio PCI card.

Did you call Dazzle tech support?

Hollywood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2004, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by americanuck:
now both the DVD and VHS has extreme static with large black patches and the audio is nothing but screeching. I can barely make out the images.

Has anyone using the Hollywood Bridge had similiar problems? Does it sound like something fried insid the Bridge?
I have the same problems, working with PAL-video.
I thought tha t the pass-through could only be NTSC.
The supportgroup of Dazzle is gone, since Pinnacle took over.
If you found the solution, please let me know.
Don't believe what you see.
See it and Believe it.

Richard Hollywood
Hollywood Special After Effects
www.hollywoodsae.com

americanuck  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2004, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by Hollywood:
I have the same problems, working with PAL-video.
I thought tha t the pass-through could only be NTSC.
The supportgroup of Dazzle is gone, since Pinnacle took over.
If you found the solution, please let me know.
Unfortunately, my only solution was to buy another bridge, this time I got the ADS Pyro A/V link and it works fine. I too tried the Dazzle and Pinnacle sites and nothing. I wrote them e-mails and nothing, I tried to call and nothing. I had the Hollywood Bridge for about 2 years. I don't think it should have gone bad in that amount of time. I also bought a DV camcorder which will do the tanslating also.

It's probably not the solution you were hoping for, sorry.

Forum Links
Forum Rules