Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > old SCSI to new PowerBook G4?

old SCSI to new PowerBook G4?
sketch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2004, 03:37 PM

Like my signature line says, I'm looking to buy a PowerBook but there's lots of research I have to do first. I'm a PC user with an AGFA Snapscan bought back in um....199...um...I guess 1996? It was made for the Mac but with an extra card and a driver download I was able to get it working with my Win95 machine. The instructions for the Mac said just connect the cable (parrallel) to the Mac and choose the appropriate SCSI ID number (I think mine is set to 2).

Anyway, I wondered if there was such a device to connect a 90s SCSI scanner to the PowerBook G4. I did a search here and found that they do exist (SCSI-USB or SCSI-firewire?) and the Snapscans are pretty compatible with OSX.

So my question is, how would I connect it? Is there a specific product I should buy? What I found was this but it seems to be only for the G3.
Switcher here! PowerBook G4 1.67 avec 2GB ram. Running 10.3.9.

HJS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2004, 05:27 PM

That will work; there's also an Adaptec 1480 Cardbus SCSI card-but unless you have other SCSI devices, you could buy a new USB or Firewire scanner, which should be supported in X and OS9, for the price of either of these cards.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 12, 2004, 08:27 PM

Umm, this is the Power Mac forum. This question belongs in the Peripherals forum.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules