Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod mini songs dissappearing!?

iPod mini songs dissappearing!?
kelesh
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2004, 09:33 PM

The ipod worked fine for a while. But now...

I load up a playlist, from 1 song to 667 songs. No matter the size of the songs added, all music dissapears once I disconnect the ipod.

WHAT THE HECK IS THIS CRAP???

I am using an updated powerbook. Is it possible the ipod doesn't like my long directory paths to my mp3s and just craps on itself? (I use mp3s/artistname/year - albumname/artist-album-number-songtitle.mp3)

Any fixes here? or is it time to exchange my iPod?

Cellery
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2004, 09:36 PM

Mine does that from time to time, but resetting it seems to fix it. If that doesn't bring your music back, then you might need to reformat the iPod and see if that clears things up.

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2004, 09:50 PM

how do you reformat the ipod? how do you reset it? I've tried reloading the music.

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2004, 12:33 AM

resetting the iPod options didn't work. how do you reformat the iPod?

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2004, 01:53 AM

I ran the iPod Updater 2.1 software, but it stopped at 25% progress and didn't do anything for an hour, so I had to force quit the program. Now my iPod doesn't even boot. It just shows a folder with an application. iTunes seems to think its okay, but the ipod software says its broken. any ideas? f**k apple!

Cellery
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2004, 03:08 AM

The 2.1 software is for the bigger iPods, you need the 1.0 mini software. Reformatting the iPod is easy, just go into the Disk Utility and do it like you would on a normal disk. I had to do this not too long ago, and it saved me from sending it back to Apple. Hope it works out for you.

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2004, 03:24 AM

grrr... why didn't this come in a normal OS X update? bumsss

downloading now...

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2004, 03:58 AM

well, that software seems to have worked. the ipod mini now remembered the one song I put on it. i'm putting my entire playlist on it now.

what worries me is that this happened once, isn't it likely to happen again? if it happens again, i think i'll just exchange the ipod for a new one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules