Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Installation

Installation
AmericanPsych0
Oct 15, 2004, 07:46 PM

I checked the Apple website to see how to install the AirPort Extreme Card into my Rev. A AlBook, but it was directions for a different model. It had to be. The diagrams showed a bottom far different than the one on my own PowerBook. I also bought this refurbished and it didn't come with the original manual, so I can't look into that. Can anyone help?
When Vin Diesel pops a can of Pringles, the fun stops after about fifteen minutes.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 15, 2004, 08:26 PM

On iBooks, you unlock the keyboard, slip it up and out of the way, and install the card in a small bay right there.

If you bought the laptop as a refurb, you should be able to ask Apple about it, since they refurbished it. Just a thought.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

AmericanPsych0  (op)
Oct 15, 2004, 10:03 PM

It's a PowerBook, and I bought it refurbished from MacResQ.
When Vin Diesel pops a can of Pringles, the fun stops after about fifteen minutes.

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2004, 10:47 PM

You can go to Apple's website and the support section.
From there you can easily download the Manuals for any Powerbook.
These manuals detail how to install the card.
If you do not have net access,I will look it up for you if you need it.

Also I have had no problems calling the Apple support numbers even when not officially supported and they will coach me on this sort of thing. Certainly worth a try if the online manual does not make sense.

Good Luck
Ed

AmericanPsych0  (op)
Oct 16, 2004, 01:45 PM

Okay, I got the AirPort Extreme Card installed, but now, after plugging in the AirPort Extreme and getting into the AirPort Setup Assistant, I get "No Networks Found", even when right next to the Base Station. I've had no issues with the card at all, so am I plugging the wrong thing in or is it an issue with the Base Station, compatibility issue, or what? I plugged the DSL into the WAN port and the regular phone cable we had hooked up to our old router as well. It doesn't work with both in or either in.

Quick stats:

Aluminum PowerBook G4 (Rev. A)
OS X 10.3.5
AirPort Software v3.4
AirPort Extreme Base Station/Card (just bought the Base Station, the Card came with this (it's refurbished))
Fujitsu Speedport DSL (Earthlink is our ISP)

Forum Links
Forum Rules