Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > FireWire CDRW

FireWire CDRW
fatarabb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2001, 04:02 PM

I'm looking to buy an external FireWire CDRW for my Powerbook G4. What would you consider the best CDRW out right now for under $400. Also, since the Powerbook G4 only has one FireWire output and I already have a LaCie FireWire HD, will there be a problem with the CDRW? Thanks.

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2001, 04:53 PM

Que Firewire CD-RW 12x10x32, $289, with rebate.

Cipher13
Feb 12, 2001, 02:26 AM

Yamaha 8824 FireWire - Yamaha are THE BEST.
May pay a little more, but it really is worth it.
Hm... you should be able to daisy chain the burner...

Cipher13

JeffO
Feb 13, 2001, 11:58 AM

I have a Yamaha 8824 and it's great. Highly recommended.

Jeff

Paul S
Senior User
Feb 13, 2001, 01:19 PM

Yamaha definitely is the best, but that doesn't mean others are bad. I used to have a Yamaha that died (after well more than it's share of use over 3 years) and replaced it with a HP because it was a deal I couldn't pass up (i.e. free). That one has worked great for me for over a year. Also, I believe Yamaha recently discontinued the 8824 drives. You may be able to find one at a good deal if you hurry. They have a new 16x10x40x that is supposed to be shipping soon.

As far as problems with your hard drive, as long as the drive has a second FW port on it, you can daisy-chain the CD-RW to the drive. You shouldn't have any problems at all. I assume that the CD-RW will have it's own power supply. If not, that's the only thing that might cause a problem if the hard drive is also bus-powered.

Baldy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2001, 10:19 PM

Check this out for Que reviews. http://macworld.zdnet.com/2000/11/reviews/firewire.html

I am also looking for a burner. Either the Yamaha 8 8 24 Firewire or an EZ Quest 12 10 32 Firewire. Any feedback on the Boa will be appreciated.

brown monk
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 15, 2001, 08:22 PM

Sony isn't far behind, if behind at all, Yamaha. Their Firewire (or i.Link as Sony calls it) Spressa has gotten great reviews (C|Net chose the Sony one over the Que one). I also just got one as a gift last week and am very satisfied with it. As to your "only one port" problem, this burner has two firewire ports and so you'll be able to daisy chain it with other peripherals.
brown is sweeter
me_puter: outdated

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2001, 01:28 AM

Timing is everyting - I picked up a Que 16x firewire CDRW yesterday. Awesome unit, works very well with my G4/Cube. 5 minutes for an 80-minute CD. WOW!

Anderson001
Feb 19, 2001, 05:53 PM

Have you take a look at the Formac Fire Wire CDRW. It seems a cool drive and is bus powered. The price is also very reasonable. The only
problem is that they didn' t start to ship yet. Anyone know when they will start shipping?

Anderson001

LY
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2001, 10:27 PM

Formac is supposedly starting to ship this week...

drg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2001, 10:57 PM

I have an EZQUEST after working with the thing for more than ten hours I have got it to burn one CD, now it doesn't work again. Support is the biggest pain.

I'm about to order a Yamaha
eschew obfuscation

Hervon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2001, 11:08 PM

I think I have a great combo : A Plextor 12x10x32 with BurnProof in a ADS Pyro Firewire case. It works great. Compatible with Retrospect, Toast and iTunes (for reading CDs only).

The Firewire Case makes it easy to remove the CD Writer and swap it with a HD. It has been recommended many times in the Drive Compatibility Database at www.xlr8yourmac.com.

It's too bad a firmware updater is not available from Plextor for the ATAPI or Firewire version. But I simply put the drive in a Friend's PC for the updates.

Plextor Rocks!

ciao

sad
Feb 24, 2001, 01:51 AM

do not buy the que cdrw firewire for your g4 titanium.. it doesn't work with toast, even with the updates.. and qps's tech support is a 25 minute wait.
[email protected]

schwei
Feb 25, 2001, 08:32 PM

On the G4 Titanium Powerbook, MAc OS 9.1 is preinstalled, so it'll be necessary to turn off Apple's CD-RW extensions (especially if iTunes was pre-installed on it, which is a possibility) to run certain 3rd-party FireWire CDRWs. Working with a new PowerBook out of the box this requires a session with Extensions Manager.
Mac evangelist since 1986

rambo47
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2001, 09:21 PM

Cipher 13 steered me to the Yamaha 8824 FireWire and I haven't regretted it for one second! Awesome drive, superb quallity, and fully supported under iToons 1.1. It's really gratifying to see Apple supporting these third-party drives.

------------------
"There is no spoon."
iDisk: rseijas
Homepage: homepage.mac.com/rseijas

Anderson001
Feb 26, 2001, 10:55 PM

Following Cipher 13, I just bought an external FireWire Yamaha CDRW 16x10x40. The problem is that it seems too noise when I put a CD in it, compared to the built in CD/DVD in my G4. Is it normal, or my drive has some problem?
Thanks for your reply,
Anderson

pml589
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2001, 11:03 PM

I have a Que 8x4x and it is perfectly reliable after almost a year....it is like $230, but i would go for the que 12x, because it is faster but it is still cheap.

------------------
http://projectpat.best.cd
-=P-Lo=-

AMDG
http://www.cnnpromos.com/supercrew/feature.htm

slimshady023
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2001, 12:16 AM

Hey all -

I really like my Que! 8/4/32 drive. I've had it for about half a year, and have had excellent success burning everything from audio to mac, pc, and psx discs. I was at first quite skeptical about its burn-to-coaster ratio because the Spressa comes with twice as much buffer cache; however, it has yet to burn a coaster since I bought it about half a year ago.

It works great with the latest iTunes, as well as Toast 4 and 5. Check out the Macworld and Macaddict reviews!

later,
- slim

Anderson001
Feb 27, 2001, 12:25 AM

I just bought an external FireWire Yamaha CDRW 16x10x40. The problem is that it seems too noise when I put a CD in it, compared to the built in CD/DVD in my G4. Is it normal, or my drive has some problem?
Thanks for your reply,
Anderson

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2001, 03:18 AM

I've had my Que 8x4x32 for almost a year and like pml589 & Slimshady I too have had great success with this drive. The best thing about this drive is it works with Toast 4 & 5, iTunes, and DiscBurner (with a little help from MacFixIt).

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

d2kit
Feb 27, 2001, 08:16 AM

I have been using the Que 12-10-32 for some time now and it has worked flawlessly. You can find it at relatively low prices, I am figuring out if it is supported by iTunes 1.1, but definitely it is a very good drive and a fast one too. I can't tell you compared to the other ones.
It surely works with toast, which I use regularly.

DBursey
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2001, 01:21 PM

Thanks to various recommendations in this forum in favour of Yamaha and opposed to QPS, I've placed an order for an external Yamaha 16/10/40. Anderson001, I'll let you know whether I think my drive is excessively noisy. I'll be waiting a while; my drive is scheduled to be delivered near the end of March ( ), as I've ordered it through a friend who works for Yamaha.

BTW, I've paid $560 Canadian (US$367) for this drive. Does anyone know how this compares with retail pricing? I'd appreciate info from anywhere!

Anderson001
Feb 27, 2001, 02:48 PM

I paid $400 for my 16x10x40 external FireWire Yamaha at BestBuy.
Anderson001

WillyB
Feb 28, 2001, 09:01 AM

(EZ Quest Boa 16 x 10 x 40 FireWire)... Has anyone been able to successfully use this drive with Retrospect Express 4.3 & Toast Deluxe 4.1.2 ? If so, would you please tell me how you were able to pull this miracle out of your hat?

I'm using a Beige G3 tower 233Mhz/384 mb ram/OS 9.0.4 with all FireWire Extensions updated to the latest versions and brand new Toast Deluxe and it's latest extensions installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
~Bill

[This message has been edited by WillyB (edited 02-28-2001).]
-- "Does Microsoft mean 'small & limp?'

pg1
Feb 28, 2001, 07:52 PM

Was looking at the La Cie 16x/10x/40x for around 350 with delivery anybody have feedback? Will be using with new G4 Ti

pg1
Feb 28, 2001, 09:20 PM

Was looking at the La Cie 16x/10x/40x for around 350 with delivery anybody have feedback? Will be using with new G4 Ti

Cipher13
Mar 1, 2001, 01:38 AM

Originally posted by Anderson001:
I just bought an external FireWire Yamaha CDRW 16x10x40. The problem is that it seems too noise when I put a CD in it, compared to the built in CD/DVD in my G4. Is it normal, or my drive has some problem?
Thanks for your reply,
Anderson
No, its cool. It is a little noisy, that drive
Needs quite a cooling mechanism for what it is. Most SCSI CDRW's are like that, if not worse. Well, SCSI anythings really...
Its normal I think.

Cipher13

Anderson001
Mar 1, 2001, 03:37 PM

Thanks for your reply Cipher13, althout it is a little bit noise, the drive is really cool, and the speed is
wonderfull,
Anderson

Forum Links
Forum Rules