Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Are iPod Shuffles in Stores yet??

Are iPod Shuffles in Stores yet??
maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 01:48 AM

I want to go pick up an iPod shuffle at a local Apple Store (Peabody, MA.) Anybody know if they are in stores?

Seattle
Jan 12, 2005, 01:49 AM

I called a local store (Bellevue WA) and they did not have any yet. So I ordered one online. No time est. on when they would get any.

zakmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2005, 03:46 PM

I stopped by the Soho store. A very friendly guy gave me the company line, saying they were expecting them in by the 22nd.

Perhaps it would be faster to order it...but I don't want to pay for the overnight shipping!!

S S
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2005, 06:27 PM

The Grove in LA had about 10 left when I bought mine at about 2:00 today. I saw some buying two. They only had the 512 model. It's so damn cool!

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2005, 07:18 PM

We got some in the Saint Louis Galleria store today. Sold out in a few hours though.

widget : widget
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2005, 07:55 PM

IN THE UK - - - -

Went down to the Apple Store on Regents Street at 2pm and the big guy who I usually see whizzing around said that they wouldn't be in till next Thursday.

Later, at 5.30pm, I was in there buying JBL creatures for my sister, when at the checkout I spied a pile of iPod shuffles.

The guy at the checkout says that they arrived only 30 minutes before and is more than happy to sell them. The guy next to me buys 5.

There aren't any 1Gb models there though...
widget : widget
icons + design :: macintosh + windows
magnum opus :: every piece of apple hardware ever made

EmAn
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2005, 07:58 PM

Palisades had a bunch of the 512MB ones.

David Kroll
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2005, 08:41 PM

I bought a 512 mb ipod shuffle at old orchard here in Chicago. They hadn't gotten any of the 1 gig. There wasn't much fanfare at the store. I didn't even realize they had them until I saw some behind the checkout desk. There weren't any out front, that I saw.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2005, 01:42 AM

funny, when i picked one up for my mom (1gb), it was the only model they had left. looks like a lot of macworld folks got the 512 one to tinker with, leaving a bunch of 1giggers. they were selling VERY well

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

zakmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2005, 11:14 AM

Where did you manage to score a 1GB? I thought only 512s were out. I want to pick one up at the Apple Store in Soho, NYC (they told me they would have them in stock by the 22nd). I'd order online, and even spring for FedEx, but now the online store claims a 3-4 week wait. Anyone have any insight to this?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2005, 12:33 PM

international plaza (florida) said next week

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2005, 02:41 PM

Checked the Houston Galleria store this morning. They got some in yesterday and quickly sold out. Guess I'll have to wait for my order to ship.

Arolte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2005, 04:51 PM

I stopped by the King of Prussia store on Friday with the expectation of seeing them being completely sold out�we are after all talking about America's second biggest mall here. On the contrary there were quite a number of iPod Shuffles left in the store. I'd say 25-30 of them were safely shelved behind the counter. They were all 512MB models only. The employees said they didn't receive any 1GB shipments yet, which is the model I wanted to purchase. I should also note that the store didn't carry any ads or demo models for the iPod Shuffle either. It's a shame because I would've at least wanted to get an idea of how they were from a hands-on perspective.

Ahh well, I headed back home and ordered mine online. The online Apple Store currently has a 3-4 week delay on the 1GHz model. Hopefully it won't get delayed any further. If you got your hands on one from a retail store, consider yourself extremely lucky. There seems to be a major shortage of them.

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2005, 06:47 PM

None in the Albany store yet.

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2005, 07:33 PM

Apple Store Boca Raton, FL says January 22.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2005, 06:14 AM

Originally posted by zakmac:
Where did you manage to score a 1GB? I thought only 512s were out. I want to pick one up at the Apple Store in Soho, NYC (they told me they would have them in stock by the 22nd). I'd order online, and even spring for FedEx, but now the online store claims a 3-4 week wait. Anyone have any insight to this?
Flagship San Francisco store.

three blocks from MacWorld (Moscone Convention Center)

had crates of both. sold like hotcakes. it's likely that the reviews and pictures of the ipod shuffle were purchased from the san francisco store. people probly left the keynote and headed straight there to pick a bunch up.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

gacuna
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2005, 06:04 PM

Can anyone tell me if there are any in the Chicago area, specifically in order, Old Orchard, Michigan Av, Schaumburg Woodfield and Oak Brook. I am looking for the 1 gig model.

Anyone know, I get different answers as to what is up with them everytime I call.

marusin
Senior User
Jan 16, 2005, 09:19 PM

I think you will start to see iPod Shuffles nationwide at the Apple Stores starting mid-week and/or probably for sure this coming Friday at the release of the Mac mini/iLife.

Chris_G
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2005, 04:47 PM

The response I've gotten from Apple employees is "full shipments will arrive on the 22nd" which would coinside with the release of iLife and the mini Mac and iWork. The Apple Store on Michigan Avenue had a few 512MB this morning, but the 1GB model (which I wanted) will arrive (according to them) on the 22nd.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2005, 12:21 PM

Called the Houston store this morning and also got the comment about them coming in on the 22. I did notice this on Apple's website:

Can you buy the 5-machine license for iLife at the retail Apple stores? If I can pick up a 1GB shuffle and 5xiLife on Saturday I can cancel my orders for them.

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2005, 12:37 PM

None in the Palo Alto or San Jose stores.

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2005, 04:29 PM

Pasadena has the 512 in stock as of Tuesday 1/18 12:30 pm.

None at Glendale.

I want a 1 Gig, perhaps early Saturday morning is my best bet.

ender2002
Senior User
Jan 18, 2005, 06:18 PM

For everyone in NYC

I just returned from CompUSA (hahahahaa) on 57th and Broadway (more like corner of 57 and sixth though ).

They have full stock of 512MB iPod shuffles, even a demo unit/box!

There is no word on 1 Gig iPod shuffles however.

I would have bought one had I had the cash on me.

zakmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2005, 08:26 PM

Dont tell everyone!!

But seriously, thanks for the update. I am still on fence about whether or not I need one. If I get one, it should really be the 1 gig though. Maybe I'll stop by there tomorrow and see what they think about when those will be in.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2005, 03:41 AM

Originally posted by robby818:
Pasadena has the 512 in stock as of Tuesday 1/18 12:30 pm.

None at Glendale.

I want a 1 Gig, perhaps early Saturday morning is my best bet.
i'm going to pasaadena this weekend. might get one for my bday on monday.
iamwhor3hay

Rumor Addict
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2005, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by ender2002:
For everyone in NYC

I just returned from CompUSA (hahahahaa) on 57th and Broadway (more like corner of 57 and sixth though ).

They have full stock of 512MB iPod shuffles, even a demo unit/box!

Is this for real? I called and they said they didnt have any. Did the salesperson no know what was going on?
MacBook 2.0 / Powerbook 1ghz 12inch 768mb / Original 5 gig iPod / 512mb iPod Shuffle

zakmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2005, 01:58 PM

just picked one up at the Comp USA on 57th. Most of the salespeople didn't know they had them in stock, but one guy in the Apple section knew!

I haven't hooked it up yet, but it looks sweet!

rtdunham
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2005, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
funny, when i picked one up for my mom (1gb), it was the only model they had left. looks like a lot of macworld folks got the 512 one to tinker with, leaving a bunch of 1giggers. they were selling VERY well
i was at the San Fran store at macworld the day steve announced the shuffle. They swore they had ONLY 512MB models. I bought four. Nobody was knowingly leaving 1Gig models behind!
Terry

rtdunham
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2005, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
Flagship San Francisco store.

three blocks from MacWorld (Moscone Convention Center)

had crates of both. sold like hotcakes. it's likely that the reviews and pictures of the ipod shuffle were purchased from the san francisco store. people probly left the keynote and headed straight there to pick a bunch up.
Lancer, were you there? Did you see them? I was there, plenty of people were asking about 1Gigs and weer universally being told only 512s had arrived. while i waited in line i saw hundreds of 512s sold. There were dozens of boxes (crates) containing maybe 25 or 50 units per box, behind the sales counter; all were marked 512s.

terry

ender2002
Senior User
Jan 19, 2005, 09:15 PM

wait. do i have to reserve an ipod shuffle at a store. do they even take reservations? am I completely fscked? i was going to head to the soho store on the 22 to pick one up at opening? possible?

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2005, 09:34 PM

wait. do i have to reserve an ipod shuffle at a store. do they even take reservations? am I completely fscked? i was going to head to the soho store on the 22 to pick one up at opening? possible?
I was near the palo alto store again today so i checked again. none in store but they were taking names to reserve one when they come in (probably Sat). she said their first batch went quickly so i gave her my name.

ender2002
Senior User
Jan 19, 2005, 10:10 PM

is that normal policy for apple stores?

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2005, 10:26 PM

is that normal policy for apple stores?
don't know. maybe the demand is unusually high for the shuffle.

iMacfan
Senior User
Jan 21, 2005, 07:21 PM

Heads up for those in the UK: I bagged a 512Mb one today at the London Applestore - No 1Gb ones. More than half of the people in the queue were there for the Shuffle.

First impressions: tiny, good value, headphone cord a bit too long, and despite what anyone else says, the sound quality, while fine, is not as good as my iPphoto, when you use anything better than the bundled buds. My Shure EC-3s reveal a bit more noise and some electronic beeping noises when switching tracks, like the noises that I get from the HD with the bigger pod.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2005, 03:02 AM

Originally posted by Seattle:
I called a local store (Bellevue WA) and they did not have any yet. So I ordered one online. No time est. on when they would get any.
well.. I'm planning to drive over the Pass tomorrow morning and buy one. I went to the Bellevue Square store last Saturday and I didn't see any of them.

The question is: will I drive back home empty handed? a 90-min drive anyway... I so don't want to order it online. BTW, I received the iLife '05 and iWork '05 today.

Jawbreaker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2005, 11:33 AM

Westfarms (Farmington, CT) had 1gb shuffles in stock when they opened today, so I got one. They were going really fast though, since everyone who turned out early to get a Mac mini was adding a shuffle to their order as well.

Nabs203
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2005, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by Jawbreaker:
Westfarms (Farmington, CT) had 1gb shuffles in stock when they opened today, so I got one. They were going really fast though, since everyone who turned out early to get a Mac mini was adding a shuffle to their order as well.
I also went to the Westfarms store trying to get a Shuffle, however they were all sold out at around 9:30. The people said it might be up to a week before they can get more. I think im going to try eBay.

gacuna
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2005, 12:35 PM

I called Woodfield, Old Orchard and North Michigan Ave.

All sold out this morning in the first ten minutes. Wow.

I just ordered it online.

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2005, 01:54 PM

Saturday Morning 1-22-05
Glendale did not have any shuffles.
Pasadena did not have any shuffles.
Both stores sold out of their mac minis wi the first hour. Seemed like both stores had < 50 minis.

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2005, 01:55 PM

Albany still doesn't have any. They said they haven't even seen the 1G model yet, and sold out of the 512M earlier in the week as soon as they came in.

Chris_G
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2005, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by gacuna:
I called Woodfield, Old Orchard and North Michigan Ave.

All sold out this morning in the first ten minutes. Wow.

I just ordered it online.
Michigan Ave. store had about 10-15 1GB shuffles when the store opened. I was 10th in line and got one of the last two. I was surprised supplies were so limited... especially at a "flagship" store.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2005, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by Chris_G:
Michigan Ave. store had about 10-15 1GB shuffles when the store opened. I was 10th in line and got one of the last two. I was surprised supplies were so limited... especially at a "flagship" store.
I went to the Houston store to pick one up for a friend and was told that the correct shipment didn't come in, so they only got about 20 gig models and that was it.

They did have plenty of copies of iWork and iLife, and a lot of people were buying the new Mac mini.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2005, 05:35 PM

Saturday Morning 1-22-05
Glendale did not have any shuffles.
Pasadena did not have any shuffles.
Both stores sold out of their mac minis wi the first hour. Seemed like both stores had < 50 minis.
damn! do they have any on display?
iamwhor3hay

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2005, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by MrForgetable:
damn! do they have any on display?
No shuffles on display at Glendale or Pasadena.
Pasadena has a Mac mini on display.

Nabs203
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2005, 10:42 PM

No shuffles on display at Glendale or Pasadena.
Pasadena has a Mac mini on display.
Westfarms (Farmington, CT) Had no shuffles or Mac Mini on display.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2005, 11:21 PM

Santa Monica, The Grove, UTC and Fashion Valley... all gone in the morning.

mrgaskell
Senior User
Jan 23, 2005, 04:28 AM

In Denver, both Aspen Grove and Cherry Creek had none, zero, nada on Saturday. CompUSA on Colorado Blvd. had 512mb iPod Shuffles in stock. And they were 10% of from 8am to noon!
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2005, 01:31 PM

How is it that CompUSA has units? None of the Apple stores in the Bay Area seem to have them. I even stopped in the Campus Store in Cupertino and they had nada.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2005, 02:00 PM

CompUSA didn't get any in Newport News, VA. Did anyone go to the Richmond Apple Store?

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2005, 02:07 PM

All the Canadian stores I ask don't expect them till Feb 11th.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules