Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Belkin USB DVI KVM is NOT compatible!

Belkin USB DVI KVM is NOT compatible!
Mac Boy
Jul 16, 2003, 04:37 PM

In hooking up a 17" Powerbook and a Dell Desktop both via DVI (using an Apple DVI to ADC Display Adapter) I've run into an interesting problem. The KVM in question is a Belkin OmniView SOHO 2-port KVM with ADC and USB connections.

Every time the KVM is attached to the Powerbook, it shuts the Powerbook down!

The problem appears to be that the KVM is sending the power button signal (when you push the button on the Apple display) to the laptop all the time. When I plug in the cable, it first puts up the "Are you sure you wish to shutdown?" dialog. If I don't unplug the cable quickly, it hard resets.

If anyone has this configuration working, I would love to know. Belkin's tech support was no help at all. If I get it working I will post a follow up, but for now, I don't recommend buying this product.

- Ross

David Thompson
Jan 18, 2005, 01:47 PM

I just received the Belkin soho 2-port usb/dvi kvm switch with audio. Unfortunately, the dvi connector from the 20" Apple display is too wide to plug into the corresponding dvi console jack in the Belkin and so is useless; I guess I'll have to send it back. Bleech!!

Can anyone suggest a different brand?

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2005, 01:53 PM

I used to use an IOGear USB KVM that worked pretty well. I don't know if they have a DVI version.

David Thompson
Jan 18, 2005, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by f1000:
I used to use an IOGear USB KVM that worked pretty well. I don't know if they have a DVI version.
I've found a Gefen the DVI Switcher that purportedly does 1920x1200@60Hz; the catch? $450! (But it includes cables where the Belkin did not.)

The Apple 20" display is 1680x1050, so I guess this might work--if there's enough room for the connector.

David Thompson
Jan 18, 2005, 03:22 PM

It looks like there are some "issues" with the Gefen DVI Switcher in their support forums. So, this unit may not be a good idea...

Dougmc
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2005, 04:24 PM

I'm using an IOGear MiniView ADC 2-port KVM Switch and it works perfectly with my Apple 23" Cinema Display.

I had the same issues with the Belkin KVM switch. Although, I did overcome the problem with the oversized plug by simply buying a 6" adapter that extended the port out of the KVM housing.

I'm much happier with the IOGear solution anyway. It's smaller and easier to connect/disconnect.
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2005, 04:45 PM

This beastie will get the job done:

http://www.compucable.com/peripheral..._adc_body.html

I'm using it right now to share a 20" Apple monitor between my 17" powerbook and a tower PC. works like a charm.

David Thompson
Jan 18, 2005, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by Boochie:
This beastie will get the job done:

http://www.compucable.com/peripheral..._adc_body.html

I'm using it right now to share a 20" Apple monitor between my 17" powerbook and a tower PC. works like a charm.
Would that be Addlogix Power Reach model KVM-201DVU 2-Port DVI KVM Digital Controller Switch?

David Thompson
Jan 19, 2005, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by David Thompson:
Would that be Addlogix Power Reach model KVM-201DVU 2-Port DVI KVM Digital Controller Switch?
I ordered this unit last night, but just got a phone call indicating that these are backordered through Feb 10th (kvm-switches-online.com)--just in case anyone else was thinking of ordering one...

David Thompson
Jan 21, 2005, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by David Thompson:
I ordered this unit last night, but just got a phone call indicating that these are backordered through Feb 10th (kvm-switches-online.com)--just in case anyone else was thinking of ordering one...
Update: I received the unit just a bit ago. They drop shipped it directly from the manufacturer. It works quite nicely between my 23" monitor and PowerBook and PowerMac computers. The cables (dvi/usb/audio) they supply are a bit short, only 5 feet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules