Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iTunes Alternative?

iTunes Alternative?
USNA91
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2005, 03:02 PM

I've wrung iTunes of almost every song I want. Unfortunately, they don't have all of them.

Is there a reputable alternate, and how do I get the files into iTunes afterward?

Thanks.

P.S. - I tried Napster, but it doesn't support Mac, so I'm SOL....

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2005, 03:05 PM

Buy the CDs, rip them, then sell the CDs to a used record shop.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

USNA91  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2005, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
Buy the CDs, rip them, then sell the CDs to a used record shop.

I tried that already.

Unfortunately, something bad happened to the copies, and I ended up having to download everything anyway.

Besides, I'd rather pay .99 per song than $15 for the album, copying two songs, then getting $4 for the used disc.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2005, 09:45 PM

( Last edited by ThinkInsane; Jan 29, 2005 at 10:46 PM. )

USNA91  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2005, 11:09 PM

LOL! The old Ninja site!

I went to allofMP3.com and have found 99% of what I've been looking for, and legally. I never had any intention of getting them illegally.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2005, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by USNA91:
I went to allofMP3.com and have found 99% of what I've been looking for, and legally. I never had any intention of getting them illegally.

You are aware that allofMP3 is ILLEGALLY seeling to people outside of Russia !
They don't have a license for that, so all your bought music there is illegal. And don't think that ANY artist will see a penny of that. To the artists, it is as good or bad as stolen music.

-t

USNA91  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2005, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:

They don't have a license for that, so all your bought music there is illegal. And don't think that ANY artist will see a penny of that. To the artists, it is as good or bad as stolen music.

-t
Oh, well....

FastForward
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2005, 01:43 AM

-t
Incorrect. What is esentially happening here is the user is buying music and importing it. This is in now way illegal.

Here's a brief synopsis for you:

...Allofmp3 has signed agreements for this with Russian Organization for Multimedia & Digital Systems (ROMS). According to license № ЛС-ЗМ-02-36 the Internet-project www.allofmp3.com, has the right to use musical compositions by providing downloads. Under the license agreement Allofmp3 pays out fees to ROMS for downloaded materials that are subject to the Russian Federation Copyright And Related Rights Law.

ROMS is a member of CISAC (www.cisac.org) - the International confederation of authors and composers societies. ROMS manages intellectual rights in the Russian Federation. All third party distributors licensed by ROMS are required to pay a portion of the revenue to the ROMS. ROMS in turn, is obligated to pay most of that money (aside from small portion it needs for operating expenses) to artists. Both Russian and foreign.....

Obviously, allofmp3.com is on reasonably firm legal ground to be distributing the music, and we are in no way breaking the law by importing it, so where is the problem? There might be an ethical conflict from the standpoint that the artists are probably not seeing very much of the money, but from a legal standpoint it seems perfectly legit to me from the checking up on it that I've done.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2005, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by FastForward:
AllofMP3 propaganda deleted because it's BS
That's all a bunch of crap and WRONG.
The Russian Organization for Multimedia & Digital Systems DOES NOT HAVE THE RIGHTS TO DOWNLOADS OUTSIDE OF RUSSIA.

Why do you think Apple has to negotiate new iTMS contracts for every country ? Because the MI has only rights to that specific country. There are no global agreements and rights possible. And the MI makes sure, that no-one who is living outside the country can use that countries store. Why is Russia different ? Because it is rotten to the core, corrupt and the ROMS part of the mafia.

-t

cpac
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2005, 10:56 AM

I've wrung iTunes of almost every song I want. Unfortunately, they don't have all of them.

Is there a reputable alternate, and how do I get the files into iTunes afterward?

Thanks.

P.S. - I tried Napster, but it doesn't support Mac, so I'm SOL....
In short, No.

The other music stores out there use a windows media format that Microsoft has not yet allowed to be played on Macs.

So you can:

(1) buy the CD as suggested above
(2) buy a download using a windows computer, burn a CD (if they allow that with your particular download) and then rip that CD in iTunes
(3) disobey the law in one way or another
cpac

USNA91  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2005, 09:36 PM

Well, the allofMP3 site encodes into MP4, and works swimingly well with my iPod.

As for the legalities of it, I'm paying for it. If they are providing it illegaly, that's their problem.

Screw the music industry anyway. 99% of the crap they put out is, well, crap.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2005, 11:02 AM

As for the legalities of it, I'm paying for it.
That's like going to BestBuy, dropping a dollar bill somewhere in the store, and then taking whatever you like.
If they catch you, you tell them that you paid (= dropped some money somwhere...).

-t

lenox
Senior User
Feb 2, 2005, 12:48 PM

Screw the music industry anyway. 99% of the crap they put out is, well, crap.
Which makes it that much more important that you actually support the 1% you can tolerate, smart guy.

USNA91  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2005, 02:36 PM

That's like going to BestBuy, dropping a dollar bill somewhere in the store, and then taking whatever you like.
If they catch you, you tell them that you paid (= dropped some money somwhere...).

-t
Lousy analogy.

Oh, and I HAVE supported the 1%. I've dropped a small fortune at iTunes...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2005, 03:03 PM

Lousy analogy.
Lousy analogy to expose lousy ethics

-t

USNA91  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2005, 08:54 PM

Lousy analogy to expose lousy ethics

-t
Ethics on the internet?

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 01:17 AM

I never had any intention of getting them illegally.
If they are providing it illegaly, that's their problem.

I would save your money and just download your music using any p2p software. If the p2p programs are providing this music illegally, that is their problem.

USNA91  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2005, 02:13 AM

Originally posted by PurpleGiant:

I would save your money and just download your music using any p2p software. If the p2p programs are providing this music illegally, that is their problem.

Nah. At least I have the solace of knowing I actually paid for them....

lenox
Senior User
Feb 4, 2005, 01:35 PM

Nah. At least I have the solace of knowing I actually paid for them....

....and that the money went straight to pirates. arrr!

USNA91  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2005, 05:15 AM

Originally posted by lenox:
....and that the money went straight to pirates. arrr!
Cry me a river.....

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2005, 01:48 AM

Cry me a river.....
You're an idiot.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2005, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by Nodnarb:
You're an idiot.
Last time I checked, pirates don't care...

-t

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2005, 03:10 PM

Would there be a problem if I checked out a CD at my local library and ripped it for my personal listening?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2005, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by anthology123:
Would there be a problem if I checked out a CD at my local library and ripped it for my personal listening?
Would the feds come knocking down your door? No.

Should you feel bad about it? IMO, it depends. If you were ripping it for convenience's sake (like if you wanted to keep a copy on your laptop to take to work, or if you wanted to listen to the CD on your iPod), I feel like that would be perfectly reasonable, as long as you deleted the ripped files when you returned the CD to the library. That would be the "follow the law in spirit, if not to the letter" path to take, anyway.

It's a gray area. Before everyone and their mom was ripping CDs to their computers we all made cassette tape mixes from CDs and gave them away or traded them with friends, and nobody felt bad about it. The record industry certainly didn't care. But now that it's so easy to pirate massive amounts of copyright material the line between "fair use" and abuse is harder to draw. Especially since it's not the kind of crime that carries a lot of social stigma.

Personally, I think ripping CDs from the library for the purpose of keeping the files indefinitely is stealing.

iMacfan
Senior User
Feb 7, 2005, 03:45 PM

My opinion is that if you're just trying the music out, its fine, and also if you really can't get hold of your own copy of something old/obscure, its not too much of a problem. However, if its something you can buy easily and you are taking this route just to be a cheapskate, that's blatent stealing, IMHO.

David

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2005, 08:16 PM

Sure, that makes sense. I have a collection of over 1,000 CDs and have ripped songs for my own use on my iPod, but I want music from some collections from the 1920's and 1930's. I go to the library and find those to listen to, but aren't some of those titles public domain because of the age? I've also found some music I wanted from 1900-1920, are those still copyrighted? I thought the copyrights for recordings only went for 75 years.

USNA91  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2005, 01:20 PM

Wow. So I get called an idiot and a pirate for PURCHASING music at a site I didn't know was run by pirates.

SWELL!

I was always told Mac users were open-minded and non-judgemental.

How about we answer the original question instead of pontificating upon the morals of others? Is there an alternative website which supports Mac OSX for PURCHASING LEGAL music?

Capitalized for the lawyers amongst us....

Sheesh!

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2005, 02:04 PM

Wow. So I get called an idiot and a pirate for PURCHASING music at a site I didn't know was run by pirates.

SWELL!

How about we answer the original question instead of pontificating upon the morals of others? Is there an alternative website which supports Mac OSX for PURCHASING LEGAL music?

Capitalized for the lawyers amongst us....

Sheesh!
Try http://www.emusic.com

It's hard to believe you didn't at least think something was fishy with that other place, given their outrageously low prices. If something sounds too good to be true...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2005, 02:52 PM

^^^^^ What he said.

And you are not only being called an idiot for not knowing, but also for other things

"As for the legalities of it, I'm paying for it. If they are providing it illegaly, that's their problem.
Screw the music industry anyway. 99% of the crap they put out is, well, crap."

-t

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2005, 03:40 PM

There's also www.magnatune.com.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Dougmc
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2005, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by PurpleGiant:
:... If the p2p programs are providing this music illegally, that is their problem.
It actually becomes many people's problems. There are many, many hard-working people that it takes to produce music�whether it's good or bad music. If nobody is paying for the music these people are producing, they can't make a living. People all the way down to the guy that sweeps the sound studio's floors.

And, as far as taking music from a source that doesn't have the rights to give it away for free�well, that's simply receiving stolen property. And as far as I'm aware that still makes you a crook.

If you think of all the vices that you may or may not have, is a buck really too much to spend on a song? We're talking about something that you must be pretty passionate about having.

And, in the likely event you can't find that one song you plan on playing for your date to get her in the mood on iTunes, is it such a miserable experience to head down to ___ [insert favorite music store] to find the album and actually have contact with humans?

[Stepping down from soapbox now]
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

USNA91  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2005, 12:49 AM

^^^^^ What he said.

And you are not only being called an idiot for not knowing, but also for other things

"As for the legalities of it, I'm paying for it. If they are providing it illegaly, that's their problem.
Screw the music industry anyway. 99% of the crap they put out is, well, crap."

-t
So I'm an idiot for stating the truth.

Oh, well....

Thanks for those two other sites, guys. I'm outta here. Feel free to continue beating each other up...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2005, 10:23 AM

So I'm an idiot for stating the truth.

Oh, well....
Well, most of what you said is not objective truth but YOUR opinion.
Your are entitled to that, but you gotta accept that people have other opinions and call each other idiots, based on differing opinions...

-t

e250
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2005, 03:58 AM

Here's the best site, that I have been to: www.recordings.ru - they have all the music you can only dream about. Don't really know if it IS legal or not...

Busemann
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2005, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by e250:
Here's the best site, that I have been to: www.recordings.ru - they have all the music you can only dream about. Don't really know if it IS legal or not...
Seems legal to me!

mrgaskell
Senior User
Feb 14, 2005, 12:47 PM

Those who told you that were being a little judgemental of us.
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2005, 07:34 PM

-t
that's pretty good. so if I steal a car or a widescreen television and later resell it to you at 1/2 price, you got a deal? sorry - don't work that way. the original owner has title to the item and you'd lose the car/tv and be out what you paid for it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules