Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Program to sync with ftp or external hard drive?

Program to sync with ftp or external hard drive?
kelesh
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2005, 10:27 PM

I have my mp3s on an external hard drive that syncs to my windows xp mp3 collection on my desktop. I want to sync my powerbook the the mp3s as well, either over the net(via ftp or some other method), or through the usb external hard drive.

What is a good way to do this? Currently I'm deleting all my mp3s on my powerbook and then recopying them, which sucks over usb1 speeds(no usb2 on this tibook, and the external does not have firewire).

Thanks for your help.

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2005, 03:37 PM

c'mon guys, help a brother out!

Appleman
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2005, 04:16 PM

Well, to me the question isn't that clear. It either comes to you have a very slow (USB1) connection, and want us to solve his?
Whatever method you are using, I think it doens't matter, just copy the files to your PowerBook I guess.

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Feb 20, 2005, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by kelesh:
I have my mp3s on an external hard drive that syncs to my windows xp mp3 collection on my desktop. I want to sync my powerbook the the mp3s as well, either over the net(via ftp or some other method), or through the usb external hard drive.

What is a good way to do this? Currently I'm deleting all my mp3s on my powerbook and then recopying them, which sucks over usb1 speeds(no usb2 on this tibook, and the external does not have firewire).

Thanks for your help.
Search for RSyncX on versiontracker. Set the source to your external drive, target is your the corresponding folder on your Powerbook, check "update" and "remove unmatched". That should work fine.

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2005, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by Appleman:
Well, to me the question isn't that clear. It either comes to you have a very slow (USB1) connection, and want us to solve his?
Whatever method you are using, I think it doens't matter, just copy the files to your PowerBook I guess.
External hard drive is USB2. Powerbook is firewire(no usb2). Just copying the files sucks because when I rip new music and add it, its scattered throughout many folders in my Music folder. Copying 30 gigs of music everytime when I only added 200mb of files is stupid.

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2005, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by Tsilou B.:
Search for RSyncX on versiontracker. Set the source to your external drive, target is your the corresponding folder on your Powerbook, check "update" and "remove unmatched". That should work fine.
Thanks!

romeosc
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2005, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by kelesh:
Thanks!

Also get a PC card to add usb2 to your PB to speed up copies! ~$15

bsodmike
Feb 20, 2005, 11:16 PM

ChronoSync - I couldn't live with out it

I got it on both my G5s. One makes sure that important files are sycned with my Gentoo server (via Samba) while this G5 has my home dir sycned to a second hard drive.

It is very cool.

Forum Links
Forum Rules