Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Tiger not compatible with my bank?

Tiger not compatible with my bank?
todddixon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 02:26 AM

I cannot access the following URL. https://olb.westpac.com.au/ Can anyone else?
Safari and Explorer both fail under 10.4. Safari reports insecure connection and stops. Explorer goes to load page and then nothing. I guess my bank wasn't prepared? Or am I missing something in Tiger?

Appreciate any comments.

Todd

Ω
Mac Elite
May 1, 2005, 02:36 AM

Not sure if you knew it already, but it does work in 10.3.9.

Have you tried playing around with the debug menu in Safari? My guess is that it is looking for a minimum level of IE (namely 6) for you to proceed.

todddixon  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 08:24 AM

Thanks for the reply... Retrofiittin 1.3 does no good for the record so the modified 2.0 prefs may work backwards denying 1.3 as well. Sounds more likely low level or system level problem. Not familiar to that level yet. Can I change a setting somewhere to change browser compatibility? I guess its deep in the actual security code where the issue really lies.

Don't want to have to go back to 10.3.9 - I like the new toys. Fortunately have headless server running 10.3.9 so I'll do my banking through remote desktop for now.

Cheers

P.S. how can I access debug?

OreoCookie
May 1, 2005, 08:51 AM

Download Camino which uses the same engine Mozilla and Firefox use. Try again. Most banks will have tested their banking system with a Mozilla browser ...
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Ω
Mac Elite
May 1, 2005, 08:55 AM

Quit Safari

Open the Terminal app and paste

defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

When you restart Safari a new menu should appear.

This is of course was relevant up to Panther, but it should still work (fingers crossed). If you want to get rid of it change the 1 to a 0 (zero)

todddixon  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 09:47 PM

Camino gets me to log in page- couldn't before -and then indicates connection is insecure - then bank site says service unavailable. Guess I'd better email bank. Thanks for everyone's input- might try netscape for os x. Everyone has heard of netscape - maybe it'll get further... will advise later - when i have time to play.

Todd

Apfhex
Mac Elite
May 1, 2005, 09:53 PM

Safari 2.0 gives me a secure login page, which I can't test further since I don't have an account.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

todddixon  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 10:04 PM

My 2.0 doesn't - interesting...

However had success with Netscape 7.0 - how bizarre.

Guess i'd better clean install with preserve and see if problem carries over somwhere in the user prefs

hold on - just thought of idea - why not try another new user account.

Will advise...

Originally Posted by Apfhex
Safari 2.0 gives me a secure login page, which I can't test further since I don't have an account.

todddixon  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Apfhex
New user - still same problem - cannot log onto https://olb.westpac.com.au. Problem not in user prefs then I guess

Will delicately play under the bonnet or inevitablely a clean with preserve. As Tiger failed to also install my drivers during install - quitting with an error - I guess a fresh start is best - dammit

Todd

Thanks to all...

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2005, 10:15 PM

I can connect with no problem.

jlgrandam
Forum Regular
May 2, 2005, 07:12 AM

I'm having problems at my credit card site. www.universalcard.com. It loads randomly and I can only log in sometimes.
12.1" Powerbook G4

todddixon  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by jlgrandam
I'm having problems at my credit card site. www.universalcard.com. It loads randomly and I can only log in sometimes.
Sounds similar/same as my prob. I got this message when I went to your site.

Safari can�t open the page.
Safari can�t open the page �https://www.accountonline.com/View?d...=AC&langId=EN� because it couldn�t establish a secure connection to the server �www.accountonline.com�

Same as my bank (with obvious URL differences).

Anyone else? I'm still loathe to clean install - after years and years of not having to... shame - its been the best advertisement to show PC friends how much better the Mac is. Maybe Tiger has ended that. grrrr

todddixon  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2005, 01:09 AM

Anyone still following this thread - I had success at work - no problems - so issue is definitely under the bonnet at home. Clean install...

Applefreak01
Senior User
May 3, 2005, 01:45 AM

I checked my bank and glad to say it works just fine. I did get to the login page for your bank but obviously can't test it further for you. I have a clean install and used Safari 2.0.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

todddixon  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2005, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Applefreak01
I checked my bank and glad to say it works just fine. I did get to the login page for your bank but obviously can't test it further for you. I have a clean install and used Safari 2.0.
I finally had success. Did a clean install with preserve settings and voil�! Back to my login page and full entry in to bank. I really didn't want to use Netscape...

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.

See you next time!

Forum Links
Forum Rules