Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB Ram and Other Questions

PB Ram and Other Questions
Mrhappy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2005, 12:33 AM

I have been interested in Macs for quite a while and am just about to buy a new PB (my first mac in 12 years) and will happily be back in the fold. I am decided on the model, PB 15 inch 1.67 Ghz Super Drive etc. I want to make my pirchase as future proof as possible so I have couple of questions I hope you guys can help with:

1) I am looking at upgrading the video memory for 64 mb to 128 mb. Will this make any difference in day to day use? Will it make any difference whilst using photoshop? What other imrovments will this add?

2) I am living in the Philippines at the moment and am paying way above the odds for the PB as I have made the decision that is something I can live with. However I want to add an extra gig of ram, the apple dealers here charge US$ 450 Will the PB accept 3rd party ram, if so can anyone tell me what ram i should buy?

3) As long as I keep the 512 MB factory installed ram in one of the slots will the warrenty still be in place if 3rd party ram is added to the 2nd slot?

4) Finally The dealer I am talking to has told be that if using both ram slots it is better to match the ram modules so you either have 2 x 512 or 2 X 1gb. is this true or is he just trying to up sell me?

Sorry this is such a long first post. I thank you in advance for any help that can be given

OperaMan
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2005, 03:23 AM

1. No, not really
2. It will accept 3rd party ram. Look on newegg.com for some 144 pin pc2700 with a good warranty.
3. Yes, and even if you replace both I think. The ram is user installable. It tells you how to do it in the manual.
4. I don't think that's true.

TFunkadelic
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2005, 04:16 AM

In regards to the question 4, in my experience and in what I have read, it is completely untrue.

Hollywood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2005, 06:25 AM

1. 128mb Video is only usefull if you're using editing apllications like FCP. For Motion it is a minimum requirement.

2.3.4. In my 17"PB 1,5Ghz I have 1*1GB at the moment. The other one is empty and it works perfectly. I'm also searching for 3th-party extra RAM. It seems that Kinstonmemory (KTA-PBG4333/1G) works fine.
Don't believe what you see.
See it and Believe it.

Richard Hollywood
Hollywood Special After Effects
www.hollywoodsae.com

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2005, 06:36 AM

1) Won't help PS but more ram will.

2) That's a whole lot. Do you have any friends who visit Singapore? Cheaper to get ram. PB ram goes for about S$300 right now, about US$180. If you have a friend who visits, have them get the ram. A few Tiger beers for extra work. If not, pm and maybe I can help (working in Singapore right now).

3) Can add ram without breaking warranty.

4). Yes, it's better if you can match ram but you could also leave a slot open if you have to.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 27, 2005, 07:48 AM

I don't know if it applies to PowerBook G4's, but Apple says that in the G5 iMac, using Matched Memory Modules gives you some speed advantages in manipulating large files, and in gaming.

In the short time I have this morning, I couldn't find reference to this in the PowerBook, but it may also apply there?

iBorg

Mrhappy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2005, 02:56 AM

To All,

Thank you very much for your advice. I am going to go with the 128 mb video card and 2 gig of Ram. Thanks again for all your imput.

Forum Links
Forum Rules