Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > strange *frustrating* usb problem

strange *frustrating* usb problem
sketch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2005, 11:49 PM

Sorry for my long post.
Since I've purchased my lovely PowerBook G4 backin march(rev d), I've used a card reader to download photos taken from my digital camera. The card reader would mount and iPhoto would launch offering to import them. I'd close iPhoto and use Image Capture instead. Lately, I've been using iPhoto isntead so last Wednesday, I've mounted my card reader, iPhoto comes up, and I click the import button. Then, my finger accidentally clicked it again and stopped the transfer before it got a chance to start.

That's when my troubles began. I opened up image capture but got the message that the device cannot be found. My card reader won't mount. iPhoto won't import anymore either.

A few days later I try again. Nope. So I try to connect my digital camera. iPhotocomes up and imports! A few days later I take more photos and I connect my digital camera but this time, iPhoto DOESN'T have the import button. My card reader doesn't mount.

I run TechTool Delux and my usbports are ok.

I call AppleCare and they make me test witha new user account. Nope. Still not working.

Then they make me do an archive and install. Nope.

Then they make me do the Apple Hardware Test. My hardware passes with the quick method. They advised me to try the extended method after I hang up. If I pass, then I should check with the manufacturers of my digital camera and card reader (when I did later on, it didn't help. So, I try the extended version and everything passes. I noticed the 'hardware profile' tab and so I check it out. Under 'communications' I notice USB Devices and Firewire Devices are both labelled as "Not Present". I didn't have anything plugged into them. Is this thecase?

Does anyone know??? I am running 10.3.9.

It's weird. Everything is working smoothly then one day, it's as if the computer decided not to work anymore. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary (ex: downloading third-party programs, etc). Just outof nowhere, poof!

Another thing which happend was with my video converter (a firewire device)-- worked perfectly with iMovie (capturing analogue video) then one day, iMovie just didn't import. After 2 days of calls with AppleCare and the devices tech support, iMovie started importing. Out of nowhere!

What the heck is wrong here??

Could this have anything todowith Hardware profile in Apple Hardware Test saying the usb and firewire are "not present"? Again, sorry for my long post but I hate to think that my PB is this faulty. I mean, I had to go back and use my old PC to download my photos.
Switcher here! PowerBook G4 1.67 avec 2GB ram. Running 10.3.9.

Dai Bach
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2005, 04:50 AM

Couple of things to try:

First, are your USB ports working with other devices - mouse, keyboard etc.,?

Secondly has your PB somehow switched off starting up iPhoto when you plug your camera in? You actually set this function in Image Capture. Start that program (from the Applications folder) and check the Image Capture Preferences. In the General tab, there's a drop down list of applications that should start when a camera is connected.

Finally, is your camera in the right mode to allow transfer of photos to a computer?

sketch  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2005, 11:00 AM

I didn't even know you could turn off iPhoto from starting up! But that wasn't the case. It's listed as switching on. And yup, my USB ports were working fine-- I checked in System Profile and it even displayed the name of my card reader!

And that's when I realized something. Last week, I've copied photos to my SD card. Perhaps by doing that, it makes both iPhoto and Image Capture to think the files on the SD card are not photos. So I placed my SD card back into my camera and refomratted it. I took some photos and put the SD card back into my card reader and Image Capture downloaded the photos.

In case anyone is wondering, both my camera and card reader are Kodak products.

sketch  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2005, 04:22 PM

Ok, I thought I had it figured out but I was wrong-- I have that stupid problem again! Looks like it depends when my powerbook feels like it.

outsourced
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2005, 05:09 PM

Hmm. You tried a new user account, so there isn't a preference issue or a startup items issue. Might be hardware, but as Dai Bach suggested, if your keyboard and mouse work, the USB hardware is working. Strange the firewire is affected similarly.

Well, here's what I would do: Go to CompUSA or Best Buy and buy a new card reader and memory card (or a camera). Make sure these items are returnable so you can get a refund on your credit card. Test these items for a week or so. If they work, you know the problem. If they have the same problem, take your computer to your Apple authorized repair center and let them replace your motherboard under warranty. Let them know you've already spoken to Apple Support (give them your case number) and also what else you've done to troubleshoot the issue.

I wouldn't waste anymore time with it other than doing the above.
Did Schroedinger's cat think outside the box?

Forum Links
Forum Rules