Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Why? Judge Won't Accept Guilty Plea

Why? Judge Won't Accept Guilty Plea
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 03:03 PM

This man killed everyone in his family.

And the judge won't let him plead guilty.

Why not?

This is an example of what is wrong with the legal system. The only thing this man can be proud of is accepting his legal medicine for a heinous crime.

He deserves to bust rocks while chained to another murderer...for the rest of his life.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2005, 03:06 PM

You let a lot of things bother you.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 03:08 PM

Another of those judges that is just ruining this country.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 03:11 PM

Hi WDLove.

Yes, you're absolutely right about that.

Let the loser plead guilty, lock him up and plaster the walls of his cell with the smiling pictures of the people whose lives he took, and and throw away the key.

Bastard. He killed an 11-year old LITTLE BOY.

What a disgusting waste of a person.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
Hi WDLove.

Yes, you're absolutely right about that.

Let the loser plead guilty, lock him up and plaster the walls of his cell with the smiling pictures of the people whose lives he took, and and throw away the key.

Bastard. He killed an 11-year old LITTLE BOY.

What a disgusting waste of a person.
Hi Cody,

You are correct as usual.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

euchomai
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 03:18 PM

Well, I agree he is a horrible person. I'm not a lawyer, but in the story it makes reference to it being in the favor of the court to hold off a bit.

I'm sure the judge isn't interested in putting a kid like that back on the street. I'm just guessing here, but I imagine that the paperwork had been filled out differently from the actual plea.

I'm glad the judge is being thorough, so that this kid won't end up being my next door neighbor one day. Rash decisions always leave loopholes to jump through.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 03:19 PM

Good point, euchomai.

Never thought of it that way.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 31, 2005, 03:25 PM

The guy in question appears to have some sort of mental problem. If the judge accepted a guilty plea without referring him for psychiatric evaluation, he would be doing the justice system a disservice. If the guy is truly a nut case, he doesn't belong in a prison, he belongs in a hospital. On the other hand, if he's as sane as they come, that needs to be established before anything else, so that his plea carries the weight of what a sane person can say in court. And as euchomai points out, no matter how cut and dried the case seems to be, it's always better to go slowly and deliberately than to rush into something, get the guy sentenced to death, and THEN start considering whether he's sane or not.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 03:26 PM

At some point don't you just say, "I DON'T CARE."

He committed a horrible crime.

He can never be rehabilitated...except by God and in heaven...or hell.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 03:28 PM

This thread is an example of why Cody Dawg is not a judge.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2005, 03:28 PM

What he did is irrelevant to whether or not he is mentally competent, Cody. I know you get your rocks off calling for other people to suffer, but it's a well-established precedent that the mentally incompetent aren't allowed to plead for themselves. If the judge believes the man may be so, he was right to offer the lawyer the chance to prove it. (Please note that he didn't dismiss the case — he just said it ought to be determined whether the man is competent.)

If you don't like it, there are lots of countries with justice systems that don't give the mentally ill any protection and often have much worse punishments to boot — feel free to go someplace that isn't ruined by judges following U.S. law.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 03:30 PM

It is very sad.

Definitely don't want him to get off on any technicalities. Want a air tight case against him. Otherwise he will be out in 20 years or less. At that point a hardened criminal.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 03:31 PM

Oh. I get it.

Mentally incompetent people - your words - in your reality can go around killing people, "get rehabilitated," and resume their lives as if four people weren't brutally killed?

Glad that things don't normally work the way that you think that they should, Chuck.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 03:37 PM

Cody is very perceptive. IF she had the training, she would be a great judge.

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 31, 2005, 03:38 PM

even if he is mentaly ill (arn't all serial killers) the best place for him might be prisen instead of a hospital

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 03:38 PM

to that, demibob.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2005, 03:41 PM

I'm not the one getting pissed off about the justice system, Cody, so I'm not sure where where this "things don't normally work the way that you think they should" is coming from. It sounds like you're the one upset about things not working the way you think they should.

I also didn't say what should happen to the man. I just explained that the judge seems to be following precedent. But since seem you think mental competency is something I just made up, it appears you aren't intimately familiar with silly things like the law, so you couldn't be expected to know that.
Chuck
___

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 03:42 PM

I love this judge: Local judge throws son in jail for "borrowing" car without permission.

That's called "tough love" and it works.

Good guy that judge and a great father - sometimes parenting means getting tough and serious. More kids need it. Sometimes there are simply no excuses.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 03:43 PM

I'm saying that sometimes you can't just "put someone in a hospital and make them all better," Chuck, that's all.

I can't say your name, BTW, without thinking of Peppermint Patty from The Peanuts.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 03:47 PM

Hi Cody,

Wish you a very Happy New Year. Hope we can start off the New Year with a Chat.

That tough Love needs to occur early in life. If the problem can be corrected early there is chance.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 03:53 PM

Yeah, you're right.

Hey, did you see the dog thread? He wants to adopt a dog. What kind do you think he should get?

SVass
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 04:17 PM

Accepting a guilty plea was not acceptable under "Mosaic" law because it was suicide. Accepting a false guilty plea is still unacceptable because the real criminal would still be on the street. Note that many people are falsely convicted and others plead guilty due to "mistakes" made by our justice personnel. I am waiting for them to try the first criminal prosecutor or judge for perjury in a criminal case. sam

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 31, 2005, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Cody. I know you get your rocks off calling for other people to suffer
Oh stop being silly.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2005, 04:43 PM

I can't say your name, BTW, without thinking of Peppermint Patty from The Peanuts.
Yep, lots of other people too. Big reason I don't play football.
Chuck
___

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 05:34 PM

The judge thinks this plea deal is too harsh or too lenient. There's going to be a trial to find out everything that happened in this case.

Ratm
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by euchomai
Well, I agree he is a horrible person. I'm not a lawyer, but in the story it makes reference to it being in the favor of the court to hold off a bit.

I'm sure the judge isn't interested in putting a kid like that back on the street. I'm just guessing here, but I imagine that the paperwork had been filled out differently from the actual plea.

I'm glad the judge is being thorough, so that this kid won't end up being my next door neighbor one day. Rash decisions always leave loopholes to jump through.

Good post.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 06:45 PM

What I really can't stand is my tax $$ keeping swine like this alive and in relative comfort for years and years and years. I don't care if he's mentally competent or not - fry the sonofabitch. It's not a penalty, it's a solution. Use the money you'd spend on him to provice health care for several poor families that can't afford it themselves. And if he claims in court that he's a victim of society, that his family mistreated him when he was young, that they made him the monster he is, well I have a solution that as well. The electric couch instead of the chair. Put his whole family on it. Mother, father, grandparents, and his alcoholic uncle that abused him. One shot, all gone. ZZZAAAAAPPPP!

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 06:47 PM

Yes, it was a great post, wasn't it?

In a way, yeah, I feel sorry for the guy that did this. I wonder what kind of an imbalance made him kill his entire family.

It's sad, but more sick than sad.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 07:39 PM

Thanks Ratm, my new year's resolution was to make more meaningful posts. That means less sarcastic and rude ones. So, enjoy the nice new me.

AmericanPsych0
Dec 31, 2005, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by rambo47
What I really can't stand is my tax $$ keeping swine like this alive and in relative comfort for years and years and years. I don't care if he's mentally competent or not - fry the sonofabitch. It's not a penalty, it's a solution. Use the money you'd spend on him to provice health care for several poor families that can't afford it themselves.
Forsaking lives due to a lack of money is ridiculous, and not only by principal, but because at the same time we're pouring so much money into, say, the war in Iraq. If we need more money for healthcare, as is your example, then why spend in on something other than healthcare--much less to rebuild a country we ourselves tore down.

And if he claims in court that he's a victim of society, that his family mistreated him when he was young, that they made him the monster he is, well I have a solution that as well. The electric couch instead of the chair. Put his whole family on it. Mother, father, grandparents, and his alcoholic uncle that abused him. One shot, all gone. ZZZAAAAAPPPP!
If it ain't working, buy a new one, right? I mean, if he does have mental issues, why bother trying to get to root of them, solve them, or otherwise deal with them at all. If he was, say, abused, forget going to the person who inflicted the abuse and figuring out why (s)he did it, right? Why stop the cycle by learning about it, understanding it, and then fixing it, when it can be ended by murdering everyone that participated in it?
When Vin Diesel pops a can of Pringles, the fun stops after about fifteen minutes.

SVass
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 08:33 PM

What I really can't stand is my tax $$ keeping swine like this alive and in relative comfort for years and years and years. I don't care if he's mentally competent or not - fry the sonofabitch. IMother, father, grandparents, and his alcoholic uncle that abused him. One shot, all gone. ZZZAAAAAPPPP!
I agree and I also think that for every mistake (INNOCENT PERSON KILLED), the judge, prosecutor and PRESIDENT should be fried as well for screwing up. sam

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 08:38 PM

I didn't say anything about killing him.

I'm no longer for the death penalty.

But, I am for locking him and making him bust granite on roadside chain gangs, within the sight and smell of McDonald's, for the rest of his life.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2006, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by wdlove
Hi Cody,

You are correct as usual.
Boah ey *vollschleim*

-t

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2006, 02:18 AM

Has anyone noticed that Cody has a solid 1/3 of all the replies to this thread? :o

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2006, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by euchomai

Exactly. If the judge accepted the plea, and the kid is later proved mentally incompetent, then he could potentially be released from prison (though hopefully to a prison hospital). Point is, I don't think the judge wants to risk having a guilty plea later reversed. Or worse, having it reversed, THEN having to go though (and have the people pay for) a trial.

I don't think this judge wants this kid to go free. Cody, please stop knee-jerk reacting. Not everyone is out to destroy you and your ultra-right wing way of life. Just because things are more complicated than face value doesn't mean this judge is trying to "legislate from the bench."

andi*pandi
Jan 1, 2006, 02:00 PM

making him bust granite
what did granite ever do to you?

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2006, 02:01 PM

That's the Post of the Day™.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2006, 02:35 PM

We should pray for him.

Forum Links
Forum Rules