Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > how did you get where you are?

how did you get where you are?
MrsLarry
Senior User
Jan 5, 2006, 11:01 AM

Hi all - Still a newbie around here, trying to get to know everyone and get a feel for this board. I've been reading quite a bit and everyone seems pretty cool. I think I'll hang around for while.

Question to all you designers out there is - how did you get where you are now? job-wise? where are good places (i.e. monster, etc) to look for design jobs?

I'm a Graphic Artist at a small marketing company in Connecticut. And my job, for the moment is less-than-satisfying. It's about 30% design, 60% pre-press prep, 10% bull. I know, I'm only 24, and I still have to "pay my dues", but I would just be very interested to hear how all of you got where you are. Looking for inspiration - a kick in the a$$ if you will - to get myself in the game. I went to school to design because it's what i LOVE, and I'd LOVE to actually put it to some use.

JacobyO
Jan 5, 2006, 11:19 AM

I was in prepress for 8 years before I moved to a full time "Designer" position. I have always worked for small companies and I owe most of my knowledge to the fact that I had to handle many ascpets of the industry.

Don't be afraid of the prepress side of it. Know that side of it will only make you a better designer.

kyles_mac
Jan 5, 2006, 01:11 PM

I just graduated less than a month ago, and I was lucky enough to have a solid enough book, that once I went on one interview, word got around of my work. So instead of me having to go out and look for companies to hire me, they came to me.

Although I didn't end up getting a superb position, I got a decent enough position as a full-time designer for Clipper Magazine (not sure if you heard of it). Although that isn't the best place, it's a perfect place to start, as it is fast paced and it will show you how the field really works.

If you are good enough at your company, don't be surprised if word gets around. Keep "paying your dues," it will pay off. They always say design is a community, and if you know enough and are good enough, word will get around.

Besides, it never hurts to interview for other places while you are at your current job.

birdman
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2006, 04:32 PM

I graduated in May of 2002 with a BFA in "2-D Art with an emphasis in Computer Art and a focus on Graphic Design" (at the time they didn't have CA as its own major, which is now called Digital Arts, and art students couldn't officially declare a minor, but rather a "focus" or "emphasis"). I didn't want to bother with getting just any old job, because that would mean less time for searching, writing letters, interviewing, standing in line at the post office, etc. Instead, I focused on getting a job in my field. That took 10 months, but I was living rent-free with my parents at the time and had freelance design and music projects on the side. I accepted the first full-time design job that was offered to me, and I'm still there.

I checked local newspaper classifieds (some of which put their help wanted ads online, which is convenient), Monster.com, CareerBuilder.com, and any other company websites I could think of. I took the time to research each company online if possible, so I could tailor my resume and cover letter appropriately.

It was annoying to sort through all the junk, for example modeling agencies would list their openings in the "arts, entertainment, and media" category. I like CareerBoard.com because it has a specific category for graphic design. Unfortunately, that one only lists jobs for Ohio, northern Kentucky, and southern Michigan, and to date I've yet to see any design jobs for anything but Cleveland, so that doesn't really help you unless you're willing to relocate.

And let's not forget good ol' word of mouth; networking; connections. My very first interview I got through a fraquaintence from college, and he really pushed for me (still wasn't offered the job, unfortunately, but it was a great confidence-builder to get an interview so quickly). Word of mouth kept me busy in freelance projects locally, however, largely through people who knew my parents and heard I was a designer. Business cards helped here.

People always talk about "it's not what you know but who you know," but in my (admittedly limited) experience, graphic design is often an exception. Design requires an actual skill with actual results; people can't always just go about hiring cronies, although I'm sure that does happen. In design, you need a killer portfolio that shows you're capable of doing the work required. Few companies are willing to train or wait for you to learn on-the-job. Again, that's been my experience, and I may just have a small sample size.

My current job I found the old-fashioned way, through a classified newspaper ad. The company is very small and I haven't had a raise in over two years (and the pay to begin with wasn't that great), but the work is pretty easy and my co-workers are friendly. However, I've pretty much learned all I can here, and my work is often stifled by a boss who fancies himself a self-taught designer (as I've mentioned in other threads). When I look at my portfolio, most of it is from my freelance work because a lot of what I do for my employer is more his vision than mine, and does not accurately portray my knowledge and aesthetic. It probably goes without saying I'm currently looking to move on.

I will say, though, that I rather enjoy pre-press/production work. Sometimes I just need a mental break from the creative stuff. While sometimes frustrating, I like the feeling of satisfaction when I finally get that trapping right or get that EPS to print correctly. Whereas with the creative side, I'm always second-guessing my work and looking for ways I could improve it; less closure.

-birdman

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2006, 09:44 PM

I respect prepress people. Don't rush... but don't stay at one place for too long. Keep moving up.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2006, 04:14 AM

I did a lot of stuff for free or dirt ass cheap just to build some experience and stuff to add to my portfolio. It is worth it though.

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

andi*pandi
Jan 6, 2006, 02:26 PM

sounds like I started about where you're at. be glad it's not a printing company. BS is everywhere.

keep looking, keep moving, trying new things. (as long as you're at a place longer than a year, it's expected to job-jump early in a career.)

birdman
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2006, 02:33 PM

I did free stuff too, to build my portfolio, but only for family or close friends. If they were just acquaintences or even fraquaintences, I charged my regular rate, which was still much much lower than I should have been charging, even with my lack of experience at the time.

Incidentally, I just found out today that I got a raise at work (boss didn't tell me until I got my pay stub today, so it was a surprise). At last, I'm up to the wage I *should* have been getting all along!

-birdman

MrsLarry  (op)
Senior User
Jan 6, 2006, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by birdman
At last, I'm up to the wage I *should* have been getting all along!
sweet!!

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2006, 02:10 PM

I have to agree with the not staying put comment AND putting in the dues does not mean subjecting yourself to things that make you feel awful about the business you do. I've known too many who stayed in a line of graphic design because they were learning so much or the pay was right but on a more emotional or ethical level they did like the work.

don't do that to yourself, if you can - or keep it to short term.

The dues = respect, which can easily be overturned by learning a lot about a whole lot of stuff but don't become a living Wikipedia of print design - that is just plain annoying out of a 24 year old...

I spent 12 years in one place learning all aspects of production/prepress - before that 5 years trapped in the past on archaic technology [good to understand leading if you are holding in your hand... but I don't recommend it] and after the longs stint working for a single client still in prepress for the past five years. I know too much about prepress and not nearly enough about the production design process. the most satisfaction I get is from the freelance work but the 9-5 pays the bills.

Forum Links
Forum Rules