Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Airport Express, Surround, etc.

Airport Express, Surround, etc.
Rumz
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2006, 01:57 AM

So I just bought an Airport Express... VERY sweet. Have it hooked up to a home theater system.

I also recently acquired a CD set that came with the score on DVD as well. So I now ask the question: Has anyone created software yet for streaming dvd audio to the Airport Express? Based on this article from Apple:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93870

I know it's possible to send a surround sound stream from a Mac to an Airport Express, as that article details how to do so through iTunes. The key in that instance: having a file you can play in iTunes.

So if there isn't software that can send straight from a DVD to the Airport Express, then my next question is, does anyone know of any software for ripping the DTS track from a DVD to an audio file on the computer? I'd love to give this score a go in surround, though it might make me want some new speakers....

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2006, 01:58 AM

I don't think iTunes will play it, you'll have to rip the audio track and probably recompress to a format that iTunes supports (and one that also supports >2 channel audio).

Rumz  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2006, 02:13 AM

Yeah I understand that iTunes can't play the DVD directly, though it can play DTS encoded files, hence my second question regarding software that might be able to extract such files from a DVD

lgtmvt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2006, 11:06 PM

Airfoil is a piece of software that hijacks the audio from any software(DVD player) and sends it to an Airport express. I am not sure if it supports surround, but I don't see why not.

www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2006, 01:09 AM

Toughest thing about airfoil is getting the DVD picture synced with the audio.
There is a guide on how to do it on the website, although it didn't work for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules