Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Transparent Finder Background

Transparent Finder Background
tfelder
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2006, 05:55 AM

I registered just to bring this up

Everything I read about transparent finder backgrounds, tells me it's not possible, and any screenshots I've seen are fakes - using part of your wallpaper as the finder background...

The thing is... I've seen it done, and I've HAD transparent finder backgrounds, and I'll tell you how;

About a year ago or so I was installing some system tweak apps (tinker tool and the like). I tried all of them, and noticed that the disc image one of them came in, had a transparent background! At the time, I also thought it was impossible, but suddenly I had this one, single, window with a completly transparent background... then I did some terminal work (I suck at this, had to do lots of googling too) and a good 20 minutes later I had the, originally hidden, file extracted from the disc image that, if one used it as the finder background, would make it transparent. I think it was a tiff file, and when I tried opening it in preview, preview came up with some error, so it was probably a purposfully screwed up file... I played with it some more, and after noticing that having 100% transparent finder backgrounds looked cool, but were otherwise extremly distracting and annoying, I opened it in photoshop and tried to make it 50% transparent. I must have tried about 100 different things, including exporting to other formats, when I finally placed the modified versions of the image as a finder background, all I got was a split second of transparency, and then black.... Back then, I left it alone, saved the transparent image to my external HD (died about two months ago), and went back to gray finder backgrounds... Now about a year later, having read countless threads about just this being completly impossible without hacking the finder itself, I thought I'd register here just to tell you this little tale - THERE IS HOPE! I'VE HAD IT ON MY OWN COMPUTER! I didn't make it, but the developer of that system app found a way and threw it in for fun... I'm off to try and find that image again, and will post it here as soon as/if I find it. If anyone here has it, or knows what app this was, please remind me! Now that I don't have it anymore, I want it!

Cheerio, Tfelder

red rocket
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2006, 07:42 AM

Strange. Personally, I'm not sure I see the value in this.

1. Setting an image as the Finder window background only works in icon view mode, not in column or even list.

2. Transparent windows are confusing, you never know what's in the foreground.

3. Making the whole window transparent looks more consistent, anyway.

On a tangent, I think Apple should fit the next revision of MacBooks with a secondary iSight camera in the back, that way the whole screen would seem transparent if one set the feed as the desktop picture.

siMac
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2006, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by red rocket
On a tangent, I think Apple should fit the next revision of MacBooks with a secondary iSight camera in the back, that way the whole screen would seem transparent if one set the feed as the desktop picture.
That would be cool, if only for about five minutes.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

kelesh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2006, 01:24 AM

Awesome idea! I would pay for that if it was possible. I hate clutter and like sleek/stylish interfaces that show more information.

Having the darkness of the pixel control how transparent it is might work. 100% transparency is only cool when the window is simple(Edit: the window border and controls/icons/text should be opaque). What about overlapping windows? For it not to be cheesey you would have to see a dimmed version of the lower windows. This might get nasty.

Eh, i didn't explain my thoughts very well, but I love the idea!

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2006, 11:05 AM

You probably just encountered a strange glitch by using a corrupt tiff file. The OS probably couldn't draw the window correctly so it got an error and left it transparent. I don't think the developer meant for this mistake to happen. Maybe the tiff file got corrupt when he made the disk image and didn't notice.

Entertaining story though.

Syzygy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2006, 01:54 AM

Yes, I agree with TheSpaz. I've had this happen once. I can't remember the exact circumstances but I do remember I decided it wasn't something that you can really cause to happen.

kat81
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2006, 11:53 AM

Hmm. I think directly making only the BACKGROUND transparent, not the whole window, would be nifty.
Like with Adium, I have the msg window background transparent. (see screenshot)
I have a program called Afloat which makes any cocoa app window transparent/floating and such, but it is not good for that. I want only the background transparent, not the whole window!

Hrm. I bet there is a way!

Syzygy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2006, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by kat81
Hmm. I think directly making only the BACKGROUND transparent, not the whole window, would be nifty.
Like with Adium, I have the msg window background transparent. (see screenshot)
I have a program called Afloat which makes any cocoa app window transparent/floating and such, but it is not good for that. I want only the background transparent, not the whole window!

Hrm. I bet there is a way!
Yes, it would especially be nice if any content was surrounded by non-transparent like your chat window.

But oh god what a freaky buddy list you have there

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 25, 2006, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by red rocket
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fomBeHZl-...rbook%20screen
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

kat81
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2006, 01:18 PM

Yes, it would especially be nice if any content was surrounded by non-transparent like your chat window.

But oh god what a freaky buddy list you have there
Ok...now why is my buddy list freaky?

SLiMeX
Senior User
Jul 29, 2006, 10:58 PM

Uhhh my MacBook boots much faster than that one. Is that how slow they really should be booting? I have 22 second boots and 18 second restarts. Abnormal?
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

Syzygy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2006, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by kat81
Ok...now why is my buddy list freaky?
Just with all the colors and giant text

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2006, 11:24 AM

this is pretty cool...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Syzygy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2006, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by fisherKing
this is pretty cool...
Cool! I'm glad you pointed it out. Though Windowshade does the transparency and floating, I'm really interested in the drag-anywhere option. Though I foresee that having some pretty annoying bugs...

red rocket
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2006, 05:37 AM

GeekBind ( http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/14862 ) and MaxiMice ( http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/11439 ) both have drag-anywhere options. No bugs that I can see.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2006, 10:37 AM

Other than the "oh look at my cool screen shot" factor I have a hard time understanding how Transparencies make anything easier to read, more productive, or useful.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2006, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ben
Other than the "oh look at my cool screen shot" factor I have a hard time understanding how Transparencies make anything easier to read, more productive, or useful.

i love the translucent menus in my theme-of-choice (currently, roosta's v23).
but yeah, i tried semi-transparent windows in apps for about 15 seconds, then deleted the app.

cute, but not very useful...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

JazzCatDRP
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2006, 08:04 PM

Kat, what is that Widget Launcher you have on your desktop? And also, how did you get your Adium buddy list to be 100% transparent? When I set my opacity all the way down, there's still a slight color to it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules