Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Upgrading Bootcamp XP to Vista

Upgrading Bootcamp XP to Vista
shockme17
Mar 12, 2007, 05:41 AM

I've don't this on my pc box, and Vista offers an option to keep XP and make another partition on the hard drive. The Vista bootloader then takes over the mbr from xp and allows you to boot into either..

I was wondering if I could accomplish this with Bootcamp on my my Macbook. Since I already have XP installed, if I could install Vista on top of that, and make another partition- or would this render either the mac/xp partitions useless?

thanks.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2007, 08:49 AM

I am no expert on the subject, but it probably would cause problems.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2007, 03:02 PM

and confusion.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 12, 2007, 07:38 PM

And it won't work. Boot Camp will ONLY take a single-partition Mac drive and create the partition necessary to install ONE other OS. So don't worry about this with a MacBook. A Mac Pro, on the other hand, might be another story, since it has the option to have multiple, internal drives (an internal drive is needed for booting Windows).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules