Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > kernel panic killed software update

kernel panic killed software update
shinykaro
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2007, 06:22 PM

I didn't know what a kernel panic looked like until today.

I'm running Tiger 10.4.9 on a 17" iMac Core Duo with 160 GB HD and 1 GB RAM.

I started downloading 10.4.10 today and let that run in the background while I was surfing in Camino, checking mail, and on Adium - nothing out of the ordinary. All of a sudden the kernel panic freezes my machine, so I have to restart. Because I was running Software Update, I figure I have to restart the download, except SU won't run.

I restart. Nothing.
I run the Apple hardware test. No problems. Restart again. Still nothing.
I use the disk utility to verify and repair disk permissions. Reboot. Still nothing.
I try accessing software update via the Apple menu. Nothing.
I try accessing software update via the system preferences panel. Nothing.
I try accessing software update via the "About This Mac" panel in the Apple menu. The loading icon just keeps spinning into infinity.

To clarify: when I say "nothing," that can indeed mean "nothing" or "the software update icon appears and bounces a couple times in the dock, simply to mock me, and then disappears."

I took a look at the panic log, and granted, it's all meaningless to me, it didn't point me anywhere in particular. I'll be happy to post it though if someone thinks they can figure it out.

I can't isolate the problem that caused the panic, though seeing as software update won't run, it seems they could be related.

Has this happened to anyone? Any ideas on how I can revive software update and install the latest updates? And please no snarky comments about searching the forums, I couldn't find anything relevant. Just need help.

Thanks in advance.

shinykaro  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2007, 06:28 PM

Grrrrrreat. The problem's a little worse than I thought. With the notable exception of Camino, the other apps I was running - Mail, Adium, and iTunes will not start up either.

AmericanPsych0
Jun 20, 2007, 11:19 PM

I'd think the safest bet would be to Archive and Install, but then again I just love re-installing stuff, so there might be other ways.

You could try reinstalling Camino and the like? Kill their preference files?
When Vin Diesel pops a can of Pringles, the fun stops after about fifteen minutes.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2007, 11:33 PM

You can downloading and installing the 10.4.10 combo-update.

Apple - Support - Downloads - Mac OS X 10.4.10 Combo Update (Intel)

steve626
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2007, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by shinykaro View Post
I started downloading 10.4.10 today and let that run in the background while I was surfing in Camino, checking mail, and on Adium - nothing out of the ordinary. All of a sudden the kernel panic freezes my machine, so I have to restart.
Maybe call me a timid soul, but I had thought (maybe I read it somewhere in one of these forums) that it was strongly recommended *not* to run programs and multi-task and the like in the midst of running Software Update to download and install an update to the operating system. When I have run Software Update, I run nothing else and I generally read the newspaper and sit there watching.

That is not to say that anything you did caused what happened -- maybe it was fated to happen no matter what. But anecdotally, it seems that there are a great percentage of problems reported from people who are trying to run applications while updating their operating system at the same time. Does this make sense to anyone? I certainly can live without emails, browsing, instant messaging etc. for the 3-4 minutes it takes to update the system.

AmericanPsych0
Jun 21, 2007, 12:06 AM

Actually, I should probably mention that my MBP KP'd as well, but during the initial shut down after installation. Booted it back up, it configured everything, and all's well now.
When Vin Diesel pops a can of Pringles, the fun stops after about fifteen minutes.

shinykaro  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2007, 08:02 AM

Archive and install was the only way to go. Thanks for the advice!

Turns out the problem was likely originated by the Safari 3 beta because after some digging I found the WebKit framework was missing, and apparently all of the above apps, and Safari, rely on it to run. That's why Camino was immune. Unfortunately, installer was also affected, so all I could do is pop in my OS X discs and reinstall.

Everything seems fine now, and I'm going to bring it up to 10.4.9 and leave things at that for now.

Thanks again!

Naplander
Senior User
Jun 21, 2007, 08:12 AM

I'm starting to suspect Safari 3 is going to be causing a lot more problems for more and more people.

It completely messed up the Apple Mail app for me.
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

Forum Links
Forum Rules