Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > AirPort Extreme holding things up?

AirPort Extreme holding things up?
S S
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2003, 03:03 PM

This is all speculation but... from what I've read no 12" PowerBooks have shipped with AirPort Extreme cards yet. What do all 17" PowerBooks ship with? AirPort Extreme Cards. There must be a hold up with them. I asume we wont see any 17" PowerBooks until we see some AirPort Extreme cards showing up. I can't see why else there would be a problem. Again, this is speculation. I know nothing and don't pretend to. I am just trying to bring some logic to this situation.

zarzecks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2003, 04:04 PM

I ordered a 12in with Airport Extreme and Apple just hit my credit card today, so I am hoping it will ship tomorrow, we'll see though...

NickFro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2003, 04:13 PM

I just checked my Apple Credit Line with MBNA and, sure enough, there is an authorization for the price of the 12" PowerBook (BTO with max RAM, AirportExtreme, and SuperDrive) that hit the account on Saturday... Perhaps it is about to ship... We'll see...

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2003, 05:07 PM

Yup, mine was charged too. BTO w/max ram and airport extreme.

oogje
Jan 26, 2003, 05:15 PM

Those who have a credit charged, when did you order?

I see MacMall claims they will ship 12" with Airport Extreme by end of January. I don't know if that holds water.

ber

NickFro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2003, 05:27 PM

I ordered about 3 hours after Steve's keynote address on the 7th...

-NRF

bipto
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2003, 06:11 PM

For what it's worth, the Apple Store at Mall of America has 12" PBooks in stock (SuperDrive only, sold out of other) but has no AirPort Extreme cards or base stations. Store employees thought they might get them in the coming week, so I'd expect BTOs would start shipping in the same time frame...

zarzecks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2003, 07:06 PM

i ordered mine mid-keynote on the 7th, superdrive, airport extreme.

bipto
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2003, 07:10 PM

BTW, I checked my Apple Loan 'account snapshot' (at MBNA.com) and found that Apple had authorized my PB only, not actually charged me for it. Does this mean they're about to ship it? I hope I hope I hope...

rambo47
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2003, 07:29 PM

I bought my 12" yesterday at CompUSA (combo drive, 256 MB RAM) and no AE card. They promised to call me the moment the cards arrive, Monday or Tuesday they said. Free installation - woo-hoo!

torifile
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2003, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by rambo47:
I bought my 12" yesterday at CompUSA (combo drive, 256 MB RAM) and no AE card. They promised to call me the moment the cards arrive, Monday or Tuesday they said. Free installation - woo-hoo!
Funny, I just got mine there today and the rep didn't even know if they were getting AE cards. And you realize that installation consists of taking out the battery and sliding it in, right?

daSilVetZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2003, 09:07 PM

my compusa told me they were expecting ae cards in 2-3 weeks.. not a smart move by apple, they should've released them at the same time. I for one wont get a 12" until the ae's are out, or i wont be able to use it on campus

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2003, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by rambo47:
Betcha they are thinking of the standard Airport cards. And I wouldn't let them touch your Powerbook if I were you.

jw

oogje
Jan 26, 2003, 09:59 PM

Thanks, has anyone ordered a superdrive 12" without airport extreme?

ber
( Last edited by oogje; Jan 26, 2003 at 10:48 PM. )

mginsberg
Jan 26, 2003, 11:00 PM

Thanks for those posting the Apple Loan info. I checked and mine had a temp authorization today 1/26 for the full amount. I ordered a PB 12/640mb/60gb/SuperDrive/Airport. The apple person I spoke with on friday (800-MY-APPLE), said it may ship on Monday, so I am thinking it will. My current status says on or before 2/7/2003. I ordered 6:30am on 1/9/2003. Looks like I may have a good week this week

bipto
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2003, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by daSilVetZ:
my compusa told me they were expecting ae cards in 2-3 weeks.. not a smart move by apple, they should've released them at the same time. I for one wont get a 12" until the ae's are out, or i wont be able to use it on campus
Your CompUSA guy may be mistaken. The local Apple Store says they may be getting new Extreme stuff this week...

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 28, 2003, 11:25 AM

From Macintouch today:
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 08:33:34 -0500
Subject: Airport Extreme Card Delayed By Feds

I have had a 12" aluminum Powerbook for about a week (thanks to Apple marketing), which didn't come with an Airport card. As we wanted to test same with our existing wireless setup (some Airport base stations of both generations, Cisco Radius servers) I went to the Apple store and ordered an Airport Extreme card last Wednesday, January 22. It said shipping time was 2 to 4 weeks but I got a shipping confirmation on Friday the 24th.

However when I went to FedEx to track it, the latest update (as of this morning, Tuesday, 1/28) says:

Package status ANCHORAGE AK 01/25/2003 04:42 Regulatory Agency Clearance Delay

which makes me (ever paranoid) think maybe the FCC hasn't yet signed off on this puppy.
Hmmm...

NickFro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2003, 12:33 PM

Nope...that's a standard FedEx note indicating that the package is sitting @ customs waiting to be processed... Saw the same message this time last year with my iMac FP....

Now if only my BTO 12" PBG4 would ship...

Best,
NRF

mginsberg
Jan 28, 2003, 02:07 PM

I know someone in California that last Friday received a PB 12.1/640mb/60gb/SuperDrive/Airport Card

So, I think they are shipping, just matters when you ordered and through what ordering channel.

I ordered mine on 1/9/2003 and I am still in "open/on or before 2/7/2003" status.

Forum Links
Forum Rules