Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > M$oft Bluetooth Mouse and Panther

M$oft Bluetooth Mouse and Panther
gruffster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 02:07 AM

Decided to pick up a bluetooth mouse on a whim today. The Apple one unfortunately is still crippled with one button so I had to pass on that. The only one really available on the market today is the M$oft one. I know there are existing forum threads that attest to its ability to function with OSX. I just found out that the fourth and fifth buttons are automatically detected within Panther and can be assigned to Expos�. No more modifier keys required! How amazingly cool is that?

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2003, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by gruffster:
Decided to pick up a bluetooth mouse on a whim today. The Apple one unfortunately is still crippled with one button so I had to pass on that. The only one really available on the market today is the M$oft one. I know there are existing forum threads that attest to its ability to function with OSX. I just found out that the fourth and fifth buttons are automatically detected within Panther and can be assigned to Expos�. No more modifier keys required! How amazingly cool is that?
That is cool!
How is the pointer movement? Is it jumpy? Speed? Compared to the Apple pro mouse?

I found my wireless apple mouse to be very slow and jumpy untill I plugged in the wired apple pro mouse for a couple of seconds. When the Pro mouse was unplugged, the wireless mouse was just as smooth and fast as the wired Pro mouse. I guess the pro mouse driver was loaded or something. Anyway, I want the MS bluetooth mouse, but have heard that it was skipping. Please let me know.

gruffster  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 02:31 PM

The pointer movement seems fine to me. There is a slight laggy feel but nothing so different from RF mice I've used the past. The mouse acceleration is very different in Panther and I'm still getting used to it. It doesn't seem any different to me than my old USB mouse.

Unfortunately I've never had the opportunity to try the Apple BT mouse out so I haven't a clue how it performs in comparison. I have found though that unless I enable Interference Robustness for the AP card, I lose about a bar of performance as displayed in the menu bar.

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2003, 04:07 PM

The pointer movement seems fine to me. There is a slight laggy feel but nothing so different from RF mice I've used the past. The mouse acceleration is very different in Panther and I'm still getting used to it. It doesn't seem any different to me than my old USB mouse.

Unfortunately I've never had the opportunity to try the Apple BT mouse out so I haven't a clue how it performs in comparison. I have found though that unless I enable Interference Robustness for the AP card, I lose about a bar of performance as displayed in the menu bar.
Thanks! I'll get one and try it out.

BTW: The Apple wireless mouse is identical in feel to the wired USB Apple Pro mouse, which in Panther is quite good. No lag that I notice. Seems to me that pointer movement is much faster in Panther compared to Jaguar, which is a good ting.

You could try to plug in your wired mouse while running the MS mouse (That is if the MS mouse has a lag (lags slightly behind and moves in small jumps)), then unplug the wired, and see if you notice any difference. To me the mouse went from being hopeless to just as good as the wired mouse.

Let me know if you try this and notices any effects.

gruffster  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 05:02 PM

I've tried it with both mice active and then again with the wired mouse unplugged. It hasn't changed the performance of the M$ mouse. Performance remains pretty much the same. If you move it slowly, the response is identical to a wired mouse. The lag is more perceptible at more rapid mouse movements.

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2003, 06:15 PM

I've tried it with both mice active and then again with the wired mouse unplugged. It hasn't changed the performance of the M$ mouse. Performance remains pretty much the same. If you move it slowly, the response is identical to a wired mouse. The lag is more perceptible at more rapid mouse movements.
OK, thanks.

PeterKG
Senior User
Oct 27, 2003, 07:30 PM

I have bought and returned both the Apple BT and the Microsoft BT mice. The Apple mouse is pretty but I found it to drag on a mousepad, and thought the pointer was jumpy. I was continally having to really try to land the pointer on the target. I returned it. The MS mouse also had a jumpy pointer. For the price it's not worth it. I returned it and bought the MS Wireless Optical at half the price. I think it might be a BT thing.

I haven't heard any complaints like mine but those are the issues I had. The Apple keyboard on the other hand works great, feels better to type on then the Apple Pro Keyboard. I'm very pleased.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2003, 04:52 AM

Originally posted by PeterKG:
I have bought and returned both the Apple BT and the Microsoft BT mice. The Apple mouse is pretty but I found it to drag on a mousepad, and thought the pointer was jumpy. I was continally having to really try to land the pointer on the target. I returned it. The MS mouse also had a jumpy pointer. For the price it's not worth it. I returned it and bought the MS Wireless Optical at half the price. I think it might be a BT thing.

I haven't heard any complaints like mine but those are the issues I had. The Apple keyboard on the other hand works great, feels better to type on then the Apple Pro Keyboard. I'm very pleased.
Did you apply the Bluetooth firmware update?

PeterKG
Senior User
Oct 28, 2003, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by Sophus:
Did you apply the Bluetooth firmware update?
Yes.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

jfischetti
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2003, 10:52 AM

I know that Apple says they have some sort of technology....

These new Bluetooth-based peripherals use adaptive frequency hopping to give you reliable wireless performance from a range of up to 30 feet, and offer secure 128-bit, over-the-air encryption � keeping sensitive information safe while you�re typing it.

....that keeps the Airport (extreme) from being interrupted when bluetooth is being used at the same time.

Is anyone using the M$ bluetooth mouse with a wireless connection, and if so, do you notice an hiccups in your bandwidth when using the mouse.
"....and the capital of Nebraska is Lincoln!"

dwayne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 12:42 AM

after my 10.3 install my BT microsoft mouse will not pair....i hate to do a clen install just for that....any ideas?

Dace
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 12:50 AM

I just installed it on 10.2.8...installation was easy and smooth. Theres a "connection' button on the bottom of the mouse which i'm not sure what its for. It operates nicely, sometimes the cursor jumps but not always...hasn't jumped since i changed the tracking speed. Well, i'll see how it is...after using the puck mouse for so long it is a vast improvement. So i'm happy. Got it for 61$ brand new on eBay.

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2003, 01:03 AM

There is a slight laggy feel but nothing so different from RF mice I've used the past.
We have one of these on an iMac back home and I have to say I hate it. The amount of lag on this mouse is simply above my threshold and I got fed up after a while. I loved having all the extra buttons but the lag forced me to go out and buy a Logitech, after which I haven't looked back.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2003, 05:03 AM

Originally posted by xylon:
We have one of these on an iMac back home and I have to say I hate it. The amount of lag on this mouse is simply above my threshold and I got fed up after a while. I loved having all the extra buttons but the lag forced me to go out and buy a Logitech, after which I haven't looked back.
Unfortunately I have too agree with you on the lag thing. Just bought the MS Bluetooth mouse. While it works quite good and the extra buttons are good for expos�, the pointer movement and the "feel" of the mouse is somewhat unprecise and not to my liking. I probably will get used to it, but it's still far from ideal. The Apple bluetooth mouse is very smooth, exactly the same feel as the Apple Pro mouse. The generic driver is good for apple, but seems to be sub par for the MS device, so I am hoping for new drivers to clean it up. Intellipoint 6.0?

cash
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 10:06 PM

Hi everyone,

I am also interested in this mouse, but have only ever seen it in a computer store where the BT connector was not available...

I am planning to use this mouse with a new 15.2" powerbook. Do i need the BT connector or can i just use the mouse by itself, using the built-in BT in the powerbook? Im asking bc i want to carry this mouse around with me, and the less connectors the better!

I've never had a BT device before so i was wondering what is the blue thing that connects to a dock (http://www.insidemacgames.com/review...?ID=372&Page=2)? Does it connect to a BT port?

Thanks for all your help

--
cash

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2003, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by cash:
Hi everyone,

I am also interested in this mouse, but have only ever seen it in a computer store where the BT connector was not available...

I am planning to use this mouse with a new 15.2" powerbook. Do i need the BT connector or can i just use the mouse by itself, using the built-in BT in the powerbook? Im asking bc i want to carry this mouse around with me, and the less connectors the better!

I've never had a BT device before so i was wondering what is the blue thing that connects to a dock (http://www.insidemacgames.com/review...?ID=372&Page=2)? Does it connect to a BT port?

Thanks for all your help

--
cash
It should work well with the built in bluetooth. Have read about other people using that setup. The blue thing that connects to the computer is a cradle for the bluetooth dongle that comes with the mouse. You don't need it since you have bluetooth built in. The dongle is also reported to work with Mac, but it is much larger than te D-link dbt-120 adapter. I keep it in a drawer.

Funny thing is that the bluetooh mouse from Microsoft works well with my Mac, but won't work with my PC with WinXP. The driver software can only be installed with english versions of WinXP. I have a Norwegian version and are told to install a patch that does not exist. Needless to say, the english version of the patch also won't install. Way to go Mickeysoft!!

JasonBourne
Nov 9, 2003, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by dwayne:
after my 10.3 install my BT microsoft mouse will not pair....i hate to do a clen install just for that....any ideas?
There is a reset button at the bottom part of the mouse. Delete the MS mouse in your bluetooth pane and pair it again. I move my mouse most of the time from desktop to laptop with no problem but I have to push the small button several times. If still not working its time to change your battery. I used my Ms Bluetooth now most of the time since I upgraded to panther. The mouse now is very responsive.

capetown
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2003, 01:30 PM

I have installed all the firmware and bt patches from Apple.

I still find the MX900 inconsistent and laggy.

I have just purchases the apple bt mouse to compare with.

The mx900 for �90 is just not acceptable with my 17" rev b.

The apple mouse was �60 and has a superior glide to any other mouse I have used.

I will test it when I get home to see if performance is good or bad...

anonx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2003, 07:59 AM

Is it possible yet to use the extra buttons on the MS BT mouse for non expose features (Forward/Back in web browser)? And is the right click and scroll wheel functional? I had heard of earlier problems with this not functioning properly under Jaguar.

- Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules