Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > piece of crap panther beachball problem!? what to do?

piece of crap panther beachball problem!? what to do?
kelesh
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2003, 11:46 PM

downloaded weatherpop with safari from versiontracker, stuffit caused a spinning beachball in finder. after a minute the spinning beachball kept spinning, then safari quit. i restarted safari, then the spinning beachball took over safari and finder. dock is frozen, i can't seem to access anything other than this damn spinning beachball? I have ftp access and can log in, but i didn't enable ssh cuz i'm retarded. what can I do to stop this safely? is there anything I can do?

i assume the problem is with either synergy, APE, windowshadeX, or perhaps menumeters. This is bullsh1t, panther is not working so nicely on my powerbook, even with a clean install.

dagaz
Nov 14, 2003, 12:04 AM

What version of stuffit are you using? The first version 8 was very flaky which is why there is now an update. If you can access the terminal type in sudo shutdown -h now. If you can't you might have to restart using the power button. Either way you should then boot into single user mode and run fsck.
Not compatible with Windows

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 14, 2003, 12:47 AM

Sounds like if some underlying system service (used by all the apps) crashed.

Just gotta restart.

tooki

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2003, 05:04 AM

blah, had to hard shutdown with the power key. i booted to the install cd and ran disk repair and verify. I could not boot to single user mode to run fsck. I held down s as it booted but it wouldn't give me single user mode, it just booted as normal. Any ideas?

Needless to say, I enabled remote login. I think I'll leave windowshadeX in just to see if it happens again. I was using stuffit 7.0.3, i think this may have been installed when I put in my software restore cd and (restored apps) or something, which I did to get Graphic Previewer installed. I'm donwloading stuffit standard 8.0 right now. I don't see an update for this. What were you talking about with that update?

synergy and windowshadeX, the 2 little programs I paid for, both don't seem to be playing nice with panther

EDIT: ah crap you have to hold command-s to get to it, not just s
( Last edited by kelesh; Nov 14, 2003 at 05:55 AM. )

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2003, 05:13 AM

i've only had panther installed cleanly for about 10 days. so far i've had:

1. screensaver login app won't accept my password or the root password - forced to hard reboot.LINK

2. synergy and meteorologist quietly quit frequently. LINK

3. system wouldn't restart after an update from 10.3 to 10.3.1, had to use "halt command". LINK

4. stuffit, then finder, then the whole system gets the spinning beachball - forced to restart. LINK

This system is sounding alot like windows, although windows never does this on a clean install.... sigh, i'm just bitter.
( Last edited by kelesh; Nov 14, 2003 at 06:41 AM. )

absmiths
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2003, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by kelesh:
downloaded weatherpop with safari from versiontracker, stuffit caused a spinning beachball in finder. after a minute the spinning beachball kept spinning, then safari quit. i restarted safari, then the spinning beachball took over safari and finder. dock is frozen, i can't seem to access anything other than this damn spinning beachball? I have ftp access and can log in, but i didn't enable ssh cuz i'm retarded. what can I do to stop this safely? is there anything I can do?
You'd think with that much exposure you would notice that it isn't a beachball - unless you have a beachball that spins without it's colors moving . . .

Anyway, I have noticed that certain things hang when they didn't in Jag, but they are easily avoided on my system at least.

Worst case scenario is to turn the power off and reboot. Considering what you were doing at the time it is likely not going to cause any problems. I had trouble with my G3 desktop last week and it must have crashed about a dozen times (with Jag) and everything is still in tact. Just make sure you check the disk after reboot.

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2003, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by absmiths:
You'd think with that much exposure you would notice that it isn't a beachball - unless you have a beachball that spins without it's colors moving . .
hehe, i thought you were serious for a minute there. spinning beachball seems to be the phrase commonly used.... i'd like to refer to it as fruity colored annoying spinning circle.

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2003, 12:16 PM

i've only had panther installed cleanly for about 10 days. so far i've had:

1. screensaver login app won't accept my password or the root password - forced to hard reboot.LINK
I have also noticed problems in that area, as well as beachballing when entering password for screensaver or wake from sleep.

10.3.1 seems to have fixed the problems with sleep, but still beachballs sometimes when resuming from screensaver before the authenticate window pops up.

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2003, 12:16 PM

...i can't seem to access anything other than this damn spinning beachball? ...what can I do to stop this safely? is there anything I can do?
Try installing MightyMouse
http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/mightymouse/

You can change the beach ball into anything you want, so you will NEVER have to look at the beach ball again!!!

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2003, 01:16 PM

2. synergy and meteorologist quietly quit frequently. LINK
Synergy is a menubar hack that is still marked as being in alpha development for Panther. Meteorologist hasn't been updated for a loooong time and quite conceivably isn't entirely Panther compatible.

Could it just be that you are trying to use software that isn't ready for Panther yet?

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2003, 02:14 PM

i'm using weatherpop now instead of meteorologist.

still using synergy, hopefully it'll be updated soon.

either way, these apps should NOT cause the problems i'm experiencing.

AFAIK only windowshadeX and APE should really break a system like that.

Re: Bobby - Mightymouse?? you want me to pay money just to change a mouse cursor? This is a ripoff and should be freeware.

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2003, 02:26 PM

If Synergy is working as a proper menu bar item* (that is, it can be command dragged to any location on the right hand side), then it is using a hack such as MenuCracker or APE. If so, it *can* cause the WindowServerUI process to crash which is a problem for the whole system. As it is alpha software at present, the likelihood of this happening is increased. If you are unsure, you can check your Console log to see if something like Menucracker is installed at login.

* I have no idea if it is a proper menu bar item or not as I don't have it installed and have never used it.

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2003, 02:57 PM

it cannot be dragged around.

but i looked it its "Advanced options" and one option I had checked was "Use 'Menu Extra' mode if possible (allows Synergy to be dragged arond Menu bar when holding the Command key)"

didn't work though, so i guess its not possible.... i'll uncheck it anyway.

mcsjgs
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2003, 03:28 PM

I'm donwloading stuffit standard 8.0 right now. I don't see an update for this. What were you talking about with that update? [/B]
Here:

http://www.stuffit.com/mac/standard/updates.html

middle of the page. 8.01 updates stuffit engine and is a necessary update. There are threads around about the 8.0 problem.

diamondsw
Senior User
Nov 14, 2003, 04:47 PM

synergy and windowshadeX, the 2 little programs I paid for, both don't seem to be playing nice with panther
Well, WindowShade X has always been a culprit for a lot of odd little problems. I'm not saying it's a prevalent problem, but I'd try removing it for testing.

Secondly, wasn't Synergy the program that was disabling people's "a" key?

Finally, I think it's very, very clear that your system is, to put it technically, borked. It's not fun, but do an archive and install migrating *nothing* over (not even network settings and the like) and then merge in things by hand, if you're adept at that kind of thing. My 12-step method for a clean major system upgrade (YMMV):

1) Check with vendors to ensure any drivers you may need for hardware are compatible, and download new versions if necessary.
2) Make a complete image of your system, using Disk Image, Carbon Copy Cloner, or Retrospect.
3) Install OS using archive and install, migrating nothing over.
4) Reboot, run Software Update first thing, apply updates.
5) Fix permissions.
6) Install any hardware support drivers.
7) Fix permissions.
8) Configure built-in system preferences and such.

At this point you should have a completely clean operating system that is up to date, working with all of your equipment, and configured to at least a basic level. From there:

9) Merge items from your Previous System/Library. I tend to merge "safe" things first, like application support folders, CFM support files, etc. Essentially, all of the libraries and such your applications may need to run.
10) Merge items from your home directory, starting with the ones that have the least likelihood of breaking anything (documents, app support, bookmarks, etc).
11) Absolutely LAST: Merge in third party "hacks" such as haxies, Cocktail/Tinkertool adjustments, themes, etc. For one thing, these are most likely to break. For another thing, hopefully while you've spent all your time on steps 1-10 above, other souls will have tripped over the problematic programs and now you'll know not ti install them.
12) Make a second backup (don't delete the original).

Another benefit to this is you can clean out all manner of cruft that's built up over time. If anything goes wrong (you missed a file, something borks, etc), you have your backups.

Having OS X freeze at all is not a good sign, halting halfway through an OS update is a VERY BAD sign, no matter the OS.

Good luck!

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2003, 03:25 AM

dude this is a CLEAN install on a 1Ghz TiBook!
I formatted the driver and clean installed panther, then updated with software update.

i don't need any special hardware drivers.

i have fixed permissions but perhaps i should do it some more.

the only thing i've done on this clean install is:

-installed APE and windowshadeX
-installed synergy, snard, menumeters, meteorologist
-changed a few icons with candybar

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2003, 07:54 AM

I wouldn't call it a clean install with the haxies you have installed. Menumeters and Meteorologist should not cause you any problems. I use those on 3 of my Macs with Panther.

Weatherpop was bad for me on all my Macs. The problems were intermittent and when it was angry, cpu usage was 100%, making everything slow down.

In terminal, type sudo fs_usage and monitor the file system. Look at that after 5 minutes of running it and you will see what is using the FS and for how long. It can be a great troubleshooting tool.
( Last edited by SMacTech; Nov 15, 2003 at 08:05 AM. )

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2003, 02:01 PM

well this morning I had a problem occur to me for the 2nd time:

With a fair number of apps open, some minimized to dock, safari or weatherpop would suddenly quit, and not leave an error message box. after it quit the first few times, i could open the app again and use it for a while before it crashed. after a while I would not be able to open safari, weatherpop, or even system preferences! i closed almost all of my apps to prepare for a logout, and before logging out(with most apps closed) I was able to start system preferences or safari again.

This was completely surprising, and i'm not sure if its due to a ram sensitivity problem (never had any problems in jag with my 2x512mb pc133 kingston sodimms), or if its a haxie problem. I uninstalled WindowshadeX and APE so we'll see if I experience the problem in the next two weeks.

Hopefully its just an APE or windowshadeX bug. That way it'll get fixed eventually and I can go back to using them. If its my RAM or something (which it better not be), i'm SOL.

I can post my crashlog from console if anybody things that'll be useful. I have one or two messages that recur very periodically.

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2003, 05:53 PM

synergy crashed, and then a few hours later there was a (null) process forcing me to 100% cpu usage. error messages from console:

Nov 19 11:21:38 powerbook /usr/libexec/crashreporterd: error reading response from crashdump. errno: 9
Nov 19 11:21:38 powerbook /usr/libexec/crashreporterd: crashdump[3004] exited due to signal 5
Nov 19 16:40:49 powerbook kernel: ipv4_control: in_pcb_letgo_port retval=2 so=1fbd670
Nov 19 16:40:49 powerbook kernel: sip_control: ipv4_control returns error=2 for so=1fbd670 kp=18ff2a4

any ideas?

Forum Links
Forum Rules